ST50 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Tweaks, etc.

Try to connect hdd thru media player.......... I m using wd live media player
I have two BDPs. I can connect via BDP - no problem. I don't need media player because I almost always buy - I have very little of downloaded content. :)

----------------

On a side note, fresh stock of GT50 in 42" and 50" is arriving in Pune in a couple of days. Price of 50GT50 will be around 100K.

After going extensively through this post i have decided to buy 42ST50. Members could you please share your average viewing distances ?
I want to install this TV in my 10 X 10 ft bedroom. Would it be OK to install there ? Or should i go for 32" TV ?

After going extensively through this post i have decided to buy 42ST50. Members could you please share your average viewing distances ?
I want to install this TV in my 10 X 10 ft bedroom. Would it be OK to install there ? Or should i go for 32" TV ?

Perfectly fine. I am watching three 50" from 10 feet. Initially, it seemed big but now it feels right.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Got my 50ST50 yesterday from Mayur Electronics Ghatkopar (its a pana brand shop) :yahoo: Box serial number TK2610011 manuf. date nov'12 thailand and shipping date dec'12.

A tad expensive at 1.04 lacs considering I got no special deals except 4 3D glasses (2 in the box and 2 by the dealer - 1 of which was already opened from the back end :rolleyes:) and a wall mount stand.

Installation guy may come in today. Service number indicates they are from Micro Services (don't know where it is located).

Packaging looked authentic i.e. with original transparent single layer of tape on top opening flaps while the lower end had 4 plastic handles which secured the cover on to the base cardboard box. I was a bit sceptical here as all one had to do was remove these plastic handles and the box opened up. Inside thermocol has some aberrations and looked like it was scrapped around the edges.

So far I have not yet checked the usage hours (would appreciate if someone here could tell me how to do that) so until then I remain a bit nervous :sad:.

Will have it installed on my Tono TV Stand model WS-38. This model specifies that it can take TV sizes upto 55" and weights upto 50 Kg. If anybody here has any experience with this model please let me know your thoughts.

Is a 3 years warranty still on for pana plasma panels? The dealer did give me a verbal confirmation on this.

Last edited:
Congratulations.

To check usage hours you should do a web search on this forum. Anyway to do so, on Panasonic plasma (any model):

• Go to the TV and on the side panel press {-} key and keep it pressed.
  • While {-} is pressed, press and release {INFO} on remote 3 times
  • Screen will show message "Starting Adjustment Menu"
  • Once menu is displayed, press {2} on remote two times
  • Press {OK} on remote
  • Screen will display "Srv Tool"
  • Using {ARROW} keys on remote, go to the row/cell that displays "PICT 00:00:00 0000"
  • Using the right arrow on remote go to the empty cell on the RHS
  • Press and hold {MUTE} key for 2-3 seconds until the blank cell displays values in the format "HH:MM:SS NNNNNN"
  • The first figure is the time the TV panel was powered ON and the second figure is the number of times the TV was switched on.

Got my 50ST50 yesterday from Mayur Electronics Ghatkopar (its a pana brand shop) :yahoo: Box serial number TK2610011 manuf. date nov'12 thailand and shipping date dec'12.

A tad expensive at 1.04 lacs considering I got no special deals except 4 3D glasses (2 in the box and 2 by the dealer - 1 of which was already opened from the back end :rolleyes:) and a wall mount stand.

The guy had quoted me 1.01 lac for the TV on phone after some bargaining.
The extra 2 glasses should cost around 5-6K if you purchase outside.
In effect, 1.04 lac is a decent price.

Can you check with the dealer on what else is in stock at the moment?

Is a 3 years warranty still on for pana plasma panels? The dealer did give me a verbal confirmation on this.
I have heard that for the 3 years warranty registration, you are supposed to send a scanned copy of the invoice to Panasonic customer care. Someone will revert back and grant the extended warranty for 2 years on the panel only.

Installation guy may come in today. Service number indicates they are from Micro Services (don't know where it is located).

Packaging looked authentic i.e. with original transparent single layer of tape on top opening flaps while the lower end had 4 plastic handles which secured the cover on to the base cardboard box. I was a bit sceptical here as all one had to do was remove these plastic handles and the box opened up. Inside thermocol has some aberrations and looked like it was scrapped around the edges.

So far I have not yet checked the usage hours (would appreciate if someone here could tell me how to do that) so until then I remain a bit nervous :sad:.

Will have it installed on my Tono TV Stand model WS-38. This model specifies that it can take TV sizes upto 55" and weights upto 50 Kg. If anybody here has any experience with this model please let me know your thoughts.

I got it for 1.05 lakhs with free BDP DMP-BDT220 (exchanged BDP in lieu of HTiB package that was offered at that time). 2 glasses are/were default with the pack.

After over 6 months of usage, I am very pleased with my purchase. I would not dream of exchanging with any other TV, not even the VT50.

@monkey, 1.04 lakhs is a very decent price. Do not let others bum you with how cheap they got. If you are satisfied, that all it matters. Let the other monkeys chatter. Ha! Ha! :cool:

Just4kix and vakharia -- thnx for your perspective on price front. its really reassuring.

vakharia I did check GT50 availability but Nikhil the store guy was nada on that. will check now +2 yrs warranty issue with him again and also with the tech guy who will come to install today and also the pana customer care.

now i wait for the tech guy. fingers crossed until then :)

after installation I m planning to run the Evangelo's break-in slides for next 10 days thru USB at Just4kix's suggested setting :- contrast 35 and brightness -10 all night long ;). play SD content from cable connection in blown up view. hope this suffices to calm her (TV) nerves (pixels).

Just4kix and vakharia -- thnx for your perspective on price front. its really reassuring.

vakharia I did check GT50 availability but Nikhil the store guy was nada on that. will check now +2 yrs warranty issue with him again and also with the tech guy who will come to install today and also the pana customer care.

now i wait for the tech guy. fingers crossed until then :)

after installation I m planning to run the Evangelo's break-in slides for next 10 days thru USB at Just4kix's suggested setting :- contrast 35 and brightness -10 all night long ;). play SD content from cable connection in blown up view. hope this suffices to calm her (TV) nerves (pixels).
In case you have missed, please do read: Prevent Image Retention and Burn-in

vakharia I did check GT50 availability but Nikhil the store guy was nada on that.

They had 3 pieces in mid-January. By the time I came to know they had just one remaining. But asking price was too much so I did not pursue further.

Do they have 50ST50 in stock still?

I installed panasonic android application, basically to use the keyboard. Though I am able to use the remote control feature of the application, keyboard is non functional. For e.g. I am not able to type anything in search window of youtube application.. Anyone had luck with this application ?

Just to remind that there are two versions of the remote - VIERA remote and VIERA remote2.
Remote2 is newer app with a snazzier interface.

My Panasonic remote 2 cannot connect to the TV although both mi iPad 3 and TV are connected to the same network.

Secondly I finally saw the minimal IR that some forum members were cribbing about. It is the temporary IR for a few seconds of the smart viera logo which can be seen on a blank background and vanishes on playing video content. You may also visualize the menu borders briefly.

One should understand that all viewing systems have IR. the human eye has it too for gods sake one doesn't need to crib about it. I hope whether just4kix confirms it for his ST50. You need to concentrate a lot in a dark room to actually see it.

My Panasonic remote 2 cannot connect to the TV although both mi iPad 3 and TV are connected to the same network.

Secondly I finally saw the minimal IR that some forum members were cribbing about. It is the temporary IR for a few seconds of the smart viera logo which can be seen on a blank background and vanishes on playing video content. You may also visualize the menu borders briefly.

One should understand that all viewing systems have IR. the human eye has it too for gods sake one doesn't need to crib about it. I hope whether just4kix confirms it for his ST50. You need to concentrate a lot in a dark room to actually see it.
The lingering "Viera" logo - I have also seen it sometimes. That is not IR by any standard. It stays for one or two seconds at startup till the main video kicks in. In the absence of actual video feed, the circuit and setup that displays the Viera logo at startup does not completely shut off. It cannot be termed as IR by any means. It would be IR had the logo remained displayed for minutes and hours together.

The fact remains that ST50 and GT50 are one of the best TVs around. CNET has marked ST50 as the best all round TV of 2012 and this includes all TVs regardless of technology. They said that while VT50 has better PQ, the ST50 scores higher for sheer value for money. Here are liinks:

Best HDTV Overall
1. Best picture quality and value (Panasonic TC-PST50 series)

Best HDTV for PQ:
1. Best picture quality overall (Panasonic TC-PVT50 series)
2. Second-best picture quality, best for an LED (Sharp Elite PRO-X5FD series)
3a. Third-best picture quality (tie) (Panasonic TC-PST50 series)
3b. Third-best picture quality (tie) (Panasonic TC-PGT50 series)

CNET is not alone. Almost all reviewers sing high praises about this TV. Let us beg a question: would these experts sing high praises if the TV faired abyssimally on IR? Note that these reviews are not fire and forget reviews but are updated all the time. If ST50 or GT50 or any other plasma model, had such serious IR issues, it would have been mentioned as a distict disadvantage. In fact, such news would go viral over the internet because bad news is good news.

The world over people buy LCD/LED 95 times out of 100. The one belief is plasma = old technology, if nothing else. It is only people who are very particular about black levels, colour accuracy, avoidance of the soap opera effect, motion/judder, wary of LED light bleed, etc., make an informed decision and turn to plasma. This does not mean that people who buy LCD/LED make a snap and ill-conceived decision. There are times when LCD/LED are better than plasma and I have said so many times. One such occasion is when watching TV in a very bright room. The hi-fi forums are dominated by plasma lovers - the average Joe does not join a forum. The experts' love for plasma and the domination of plasma lovers in a forum such as ours, irks some (and only some) LED lovers no end. Which is really sad.

I am no LCD/LED hater. But I believe that what is best is best for a situation, is best for a situation, no matter what.

I made very close comparisons while buying between HX850 and ST50. Although no side-by-side comparison was possible, some shopkeepers started to recognize me because of the (uncomfortable) questions that I asked both camps. I could clearly observe LED light bleed in HX850. Along with that I also observed that black was not as inky as in ST50/GT50. Hence I decided to buy ST50. For me, ST50 provided better value not only in terms overall quality but on money well spent too. For others, the situation may be different.

IR is always a worry with plasma. Two years ago, I was aware of it and that is why I was hesitant. But the problems can be tackled. I am not saying that people who are facing problems are lying and I am alone on side of the truth. I say that they do have a genuine problem. But more than anything, I feel that they are quite unfortunate with being landed with a defective piece. I do not think that this is a generic problem, at all. Would I be singing praises even if my own TV set was showing acute signs of IR, colour bands, judder, etc.? I would instead be crying hoarse and advise others against going for a plasma.

I said this once before. I will say it again. Anyone from Pune/Mumbai should feel free to visit my home and check the facts. Note that I am NOT trying to badger anyone into buying a plasma TV. You come, you see, you decide (conquer). :) :)

Finally, it is not that the HX850 is bad - in fact, it is a very good TV and almost near par with ST50 but it does not exceed the ST50 (I mention HX850 specifically because that is what always comes up in comparison). CNET has very good things to say about it: Best-performing edge-lit LED TV (Sony KDL-HX850 series). ST50 has some distict advantages while HX850 has some of its own. No expert claims that HX850 exceeds the plasmas in its range. It is a great pity that HX850 is being discontinued. Perhaps the new 'W' series will be equal if not better than HX850. I think that the Samsung E8000 series (55" costing 2.25 lakhs) is also mind blowing.

I hope that this puts the things into perspective.

Maybe the ST50 has no issues. So more the reason to buy such a wonderful display.

As for GT, here goes...

Samsung plasma wins CNET's accidental burn-in test | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
That kind of test was for 8 hours. It should not happen for few minutes of watching - and certainly there should be no image retention for menus, etc. The ST50 has issues also. Once I accidently left the TV on. The word "STB" was displayed on the TV for 3 hours or so and the image was stuck. But two four-hour sessions of scroll bars and intermittent snow mode (mode switched to TV analogue tuner where snow is displayed) completely wiped off the etched words.

Point being, IR is an acknowledged problem but the problem that you and nishabfss are facing are clearly related to bad panel/circuit, etc.

Point being, IR is an acknowledged problem but the problem that you and nishabfss are facing are clearly related to bad panel/circuit, etc.

Very true.

To show the IR issue I kept Star Movies HD on for 30 minutes. The stupid logo wouldn't go away even after swiping the screen for 3 hours. I can still the faint logo. Now Panasonic acknowledged it and that's what I am relieved about.

Anyway, as you rightly pointed out some models may exhibit more IR than others. The real issue is getting rid of the IR. Wouldn't have been a worry if it vanished in 2-5 minutes. It is disturbing that it stays so long.

Maybe the ST50 has no issues. So more the reason to buy such a wonderful display.

I had the same impression. Perhaps ST50 is more resilient to IR, but definitely IR is possible there with 'normal' usage.

Refer to our forum members:
miniwarmth (IR issue)
abhi0202 (IR issue)

These users have not updated the situation for quite some time, plus they don't seem to be really pissed off - so I assume issue is very minor on their panels.

But then we have one more member:
lcdfreak
Read about the saga here.
http://www.hifivision.com/television/32983-heartfelt-pics-st50-after-200-hours.html

So, it is unfair to give a disadvantage to GT50 panel only.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back