Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

So the main question in shall we buy this TV or not ?

I understand this is best in PQ, but for gaming not sufficient. if you have a sound bar and a Amazon 4K Stick, can you watch football games and movies on this. or is there a better alternative below 60k.

One more detail:
Hisense Remote now app compatibility does not include 2019 models like H8F and H9F. But includes support for H8G and H9G and prior 2018 models.

But both toshiba U5050 and U7980 support remote now app.

U7980 could be a H8G in H8F clothing. Otherwise it would not have hardware for remote now app since they made transition to android and dropped support intermittently from what I read.
I don't think so. If it was indeed H8G in H8F clothing it would be a very stupid business decision to not advertise it as a QLED TV.

Then it is probably improved H8f with some 2020 hardware/firmware to support the app..
There is a hisense R8F supposed to be roku version of H8f but released this year. Although the specs are same as h8f, performance is improved, as per pcmag review.

I finaly settled on the following for motion.
Ultra clear motion
Setting - Custom
Judder reduction - 6
Blur reduction - 0
To me this setting gives best judder reduction without going overboard.
Works well for 24p as well as 60p.

How is the upscaling of 720p/1080p content and motion handling,specially for sports like football,cricket.
Upscaling is fine for a TV. It's more on the softer side, which I prefer over the edge enhancement upscaling a lot of other TVs do. If you prefer sharper upscaling(which will add artefacts), you can add sharpening to your particular source from settings. I personally don't do that, as I'd prefer a softer image over edge enhancement since the latter adds artefacts. Again, it won't even come close to what MadVR can do, or even what you can get from an Nvidia shield (based on what I've seen online).

I've only tested cricket till now, and it looks pretty good to me on Tata Sky HD(motion set to 10 for judder reduction, 1 for blur reduction). Football maybe someone else who has tested can report. For rest of the motion handling (movies/TV shows), I got decent results with turning motion processing off. Even setting it to the lowest value causes weird motion issues on hard videos.

Would love to see comparison of hisense U7QF with toshiba U7980 is it worth extra 25k or toshiba is a winner at such price

Would love to see comparison of hisense U7QF with toshiba U7980 is it worth extra 25k or toshiba is a winner at such price
assuming the u7qf is comparable to h8g and u79 is comparable to h8f...I would say saving 25k will be the better option. But if the u80 is comparable to a h9g then that is a huge step up over both the u7qf and u79.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm not really an audiophile, or even decent at picking audio gear. Would you suggest to me what I should go with for this TV? I've tolerated the awful TV audio for 20 days now and since the sale is here, I'd like to upgrade. Even my family members with amazing hearing aren't able to separate vocals on the TV, so vocal clarity will be the main point here:

I've done some research and thought these will be good options:

Zebronics 9000 pro (₹8000 in flipkart sale). Seems to have amazing 6 speaker setup for tweeters(2.5cm) and drivers(7cm) alone, with a 16.5cm woofer. The output seems a bit low at 120W but this will be enough I believe as the clarity of this should be high. Supports most audio formats too with HDMI ARC.

LG SJ3 (₹8000 in flipkart sale): This seems to have an amazing output of 300W. However, the design seems a bit meh, and it lacks HDMI ARC connection for high-def audio. Also, the tweeters and drivers are both smaller in size. Has a wireless subwoofer though

Samsung T42E (₹7000 flipkart) and T45E (₹9000 amazon with HDFC card): These also seem good but I can't find specs anywhere.

Zebronics 9700 pro (₹16k in flipkart sale). Seems a bit-higher end option with Dolby Atmos support. Though I'm not sure how that will sound considering my ceiling is 20 feet high. The ceiling and flooring are wooden though, so the sound will reflect well. I'm also getting a firestick 4k this sale, so will be able to put atmos through it by plugging the firestick into the soundbar's input port and then from out port to TV's HDMI in (supports passthrough).

Is there some other option better than these? Don't really have a price restriction but cheaper is always better and I wouldn't like to spend over ₹20k.

The room these are considered for is 20x20x20 feet (+/- 6 inches). So it's a big room and a bigger sound will actually be noticeable.

Hey guys, I'm not really an audiophile, or even decent at picking audio gear. Would you suggest to me what I should go with for this TV? I've tolerated the awful TV audio for 20 days now and since the sale is here, I'd like to upgrade. Even my family members with amazing hearing aren't able to separate vocals on the TV, so vocal clarity will be the main point here:

Zebronics 9000 pro (₹8000 in flipkart sale). Seems to have amazing 6 speaker setup for tweeters(2.5cm) and drivers(7cm) alone, with a 16.5cm woofer. The output seems a bit low at 120W but this will be enough I believe as the clarity of this should be high. Supports most audio formats too with HDMI ARC.

LG SJ3 (₹8000 in flipkart sale): This seems to have an amazing output of 300W. However, the design seems a bit meh, and it lacks HDMI ARC connection for high-def audio. Also, the tweeters and drivers are both smaller in size. Has a wireless subwoofer though

Samsung T42E (₹7000 flipkart) and T45E (₹9000 amazon with HDFC card): These also seem good but I can't find specs anywhere.

Zebronics 9700 pro (₹16k in flipkart sale). Seems a bit-higher end option with Dolby Atmos support. Though I'm not sure how that will sound considering my ceiling is 20 feet high. The ceiling and flooring are wooden though, so the sound will reflect well. I'm also getting a firestick 4k this sale, so will be able to put atmos through it by plugging the firestick into the soundbar's input port and then from out port to TV's HDMI in (supports passthrough).

Is there some other option better than these? Don't really have a price restriction but cheaper is always better and I wouldn't like to spend over ₹20k.

The room these are considered for is 20x20x20 feet (+/- 6 inches). So it's a big room and a bigger sound will actually be noticeable.
Any soundbar below 30k -40k is garbage
get active monitors/speakers in a 2.0 setup and add a subwoofer later on. but you will need a optical to stereo converter since tvs nowadays lack analog out components if your toshiba has one then you are good to go
or ever headphone out [jack] will do the job
My suggestios are
JBL K4 nano
thonet and vander kugel
thonet and vander kubris
presonus eris 4.5
speakers with woofer size of 5inches and above for good bass response

heres the converter in case you require one
if you are looking for more then bajaao is your ticket

Edit- dont get fooled by those advertised output watts those soundbars show
those are exaggerated numbers [probably peak]
the real output RMS would be less than 50-60 Watts
connsidering your room size why not get a dedicated 2.0 setup with passive bookshelves and decent amp
with in 20k you can get a decent products if you consider preowned

Last edited:

If vocals is a priority look for at least a 3.1 setup. The dedicated center channel helps immensely with dialogues.

The output for zebronics 9000 is too low. They calculate the total RMS as a sum of all the outputs. So the dedicated channel for vocals might be low and you'll face the same issue of not hearing dialogues properly.

Regarding HDMI passthrough via soundbar do check if the system can pass through 4k + HDR. My soundbar can only pass through 4K without HDR. So you might be Dolby Atmos but the video will only be SDR even for UDH.

in order to make this feature work your TV needs to support eARC out otherwise its a waste of purchase
Not really. If you put direct HDMI in from a dolby Atmos source, the atmos soundbars can decode it. So I can plug in a firestick 4k in the HDMI in of these and get Atmos out. How effective Atmos will be is going to be questionable though in my large room.

get active monitors/speakers in a 2.0 setup and add a subwoofer later on. but you will need a optical to stereo converter since tvs nowadays lack analog out components if your toshiba has one then you are good to go
My suggestios are
JBL K4 nano
thonet and vander kugel
thonet and vander kubris
presonus eris 4.5

The only issue with this setup is that you cannot control the volume with the TV/firestick remote. Make sure the speaker system has a remote control so that volume can be controlled remotely.

Then again it really does not solve the purpose of hearing vocals clearly. 2.0 or 2.1 channels struggle with vocal clarity (good ones do a decent job). And the audio out is just stereo so you also lose out on the dolby audio effects.

My suggestios are
JBL K4 nano
thonet and vander kugel
thonet and vander kubris
presonus eris 4.5

Edit- dont get fooled by those advertised output watts those soundbars show
those are exaggerated numbers [probably peak]
the real output RMS would be less than 50-60 Watts
connsidering your room size why not get a dedicated 2.0 setup with passive bookshelves and decent amp
with in 20k you can get a decent products if you consider preowned
I'd love to get proper audio gear set up here, but it's not really for me here. It's my parents place and I'm looking for a much simpler solution. Else I'd have gone for a 5.1 channel system for 50k or so.

I'd like to setup a soundbar and forget about it so that they can use it too and it doesn't cause too much clutter. Again, as mentioned I'm not an audiophile and anything that significantly enhances sound from the garbage TV speakers will do the job.

How about these ones:

It seems to be 33% off from their usual ₹30k price and reviews from 3rd party seems good. @social3467 this also seems to be a 3.1 setup with 45x90 L and R channels.

Not really. If you put direct HDMI in from a dolby Atmos source, the atmos soundbars can decode it. So I can plug in a firestick 4k in the HDMI in of these and get Atmos out. How effective Atmos will be is going to be questionable though in my large room.
firestick 4k to Soundbar directly you mean? and pass the source to tv via HDMI from soundbar to TV? i doubt it will work
but anyway i would stay away from these cheap soundbars they sound muddy and highs are unbearebale with bloated bass
get good quality speakers instead for 20k u can get decent ones

firestick 4k to Soundbar directly you mean? and pass the source to tv via HDMI from soundbar to TV? i doubt it will work
but anyway i would stay away from these cheap soundbars they sound muddy and highs are unbearebale with bloated bass
get good quality speakers instead for 20k u can get decent ones
Yeah, the soundbar itself doesn't support eARC, so on the site only they say the only way to get atmos is to directly get Atmos effect. Again, I'm not sure how it would work though.

I already have Mackie CR5BT with my PC and if I can get that kind of sound output from a soundbar that would be great. Since I don't have anything below the TV (it's wall-mounted), the speakers are not an option. Would very heavily prefer a soundbar since that can be mounted below the TV.

If speakers were an option, I'd have picked up a stereo monitor set already (probably another CR5BT). Ugh, not sure what to get now.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back