Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

Yo, thanks @fragpic for the review. Did you get the extended warranty on this as advertised?

I am very tempted to buy this. But I am wondering what does poor motion handling means for this TV? I will be connecting my PS4 Pro to this and I love watching action movies. Would it be a bad experience for me?

Yo, thanks @fragpic for the review. Did you get the extended warranty on this as advertised?

I am very tempted to buy this. But I am wondering what does poor motion handling means for this TV? I will be connecting my PS4 Pro to this and I love watching action movies. Would it be a bad experience for me?
this is what rtings says "
Overall, the Hisense H8F is a great TV for most uses. It is a great choice for watching movies or playing games in a dark room, and a good choice for watching TV shows during the day. It isn't as well-suited for sports, unless you're watching it alone, as the image degrades when viewed at an angle."

Again i am assuming this is H8F

Things like BFI, 24p Mode are missing, so I'm assuming that the processing engine is different.

May be tosiba will enable them in future updates.But these have their own drawbacks.BFI makes picture significantly dimmer.

Overall, the Hisense H8F is a great TV for most uses. It is a great choice for watching movies or playing games in a dark room, and a good choice for watching TV shows during the day. It isn't as well-suited for sports, unless you're watching it alone, as the image degrades when viewed at an angle."
Aah, Rtings are masters of constructing positive sentences. Will go through the review in deep and try to figure it out. Thanks!

Again i am assuming this is H8F
Hehe, yeah man, we all are.

Dolby Vision has always supported dynamic metadata. The old version is actually the one in which the TV parses the metadata, while in the new one it's done by the source. Xbox only supports the latter, in which Xbox has to do the tone-mapping and pass on that version, while the TV in this case expects the metadata. It's a huge clusterfuck and Microsoft is to be blamed too.

In short:

Old HDR (HDR10) : Supports upto 10-bits, 1000 nits, supported by everything
New HDR (HDR10+) : Adds support for dynamic metadata, over 1000 nits of brightness to HDR10.
Old Dolby Vision: TV decodes the data and displays it. It expects metadata from the source. 12-bits, 10000 nits, dynamic metadata
New Dolby Vision (also known as low latency version): Source decodes the data.
Dolby Vision IQ: Supports ambient light support and adjustments too (LG and Panasonic OLEDs).

Your TV does support proper DV. You will just need to play through the in-built apps unfortunately.
to take your point further the old Dolby vision (tv led) is better than new Dolby vision(player-led).Sony is using this New Dolby vision and facing issues.Vincent has explained this in details.

checkout the video at 12 min.

Not sure if this helps but I made a video playing HDR10 content

Also, even though I don't have much use for the inbuilt OS, it is very fluid and fast.
I tweaked some settings based on rtings settings and the display looks more accurate now. I had to bring down the backlight from 100 to 30 in SDR mode.
Overall I'm mostly satisfied except for the Dolby vision issue. Hopefully there is some software update to fix that but I highly doubt Hisense even cares.
In this shot the black bar seems inky black. Is it that good in real also or just the way the camera recorded it.

U7980 is sold out on all platforms , 50 series is available on all weird, I guess got to do with supply of parts from china , that could explain why U80 wasnt launched

U7980 is sold out on all platforms , 50 series is available on all weird, I guess got to do with supply of parts from china , that could explain why U80 wasnt launched
Still available in Andhra Pradesh from Flipkart (U79)

If this is H8F or close to H9F, acc to Rtings, its pretty average at response times i.e. watching sports. Could you let us know your experience watching sports? If there is any blur or dirty screen effect?
It is exactly the same as H8F. I am not much of a sports fan, but I played some Football off of youtube and it looked pretty good. Don't see much stuttering nor is there a noticeable soap opera effect. After a bit of experimenting, I found that 3 on both judder and blur reduction looked the best to my eyes.

After some tweaking, motion handling is pretty good. I've been binging Dark on Netflix and it looks great. Colors are incredible and black are incredible for an LED. At this price this is pretty much a no brainer.
Extended warranty is automatic and is based on invoice date. Didn't have to anything.

May be tosiba will enable them in future updates.But these have their own drawbacks.BFI makes picture significantly dimmer.
Yes, but TV is too bright for my eyes already. Not sure if its because I'm used to an OLED but damn the backlight was too strong out of the box.
I'll gladly trade brightness for BFI. I miss it on my OLED too.

In this shot the black bar seems inky black. Is it that good in real also or just the way the camera recorded it.
It's not a camera effect. Blacks are truly black. After spending the whole day watching Netflix, I thing the panel and picture quality is Sony/Samsung QLED tier. I'm not even kidding when I say that its comparable to my 55B7.
Also, saw your post on the other thread. Don't have to check, it is 56 for 55 inch and 60 for 65 inch. Dimming algorithm is pretty good, I don't notice blooming anywhere except for text in menus.

@fragpic Did u test the 4k content [movies or series] via USB or HDD ? if yes
how is the performance? of builtin media player?
Dont have any 4k movie files so can't test that.
But Netflix, Prime and Youtube have been excellent so far.

@fragpic Could you let us know your experience watching sports? Did you notice any motion blur?
Answered a few lines above.

Summarizing my experience after a day, I'd say that the TV is truly incredible for the price. Panel is spectacular and 4K media incl HDR looks great. Motion handling could be better but that is an issue even on my OLED. AFAIK, only Sony was able to truly solve this issue on their TVs.
For any new buyers, I don't suggest copying the rtings settings. They are not meant to be used with the VIDAA os. I calibrated using my Xbox's inbult tool and it improved the picture quite a bit.

Last edited:
Summarizing my experience after a day, I'd say that the TV is truly incredible for the price. Panel is spectacular and movies look great. Motion handling could be better but that is an issue even on my OLED. AFAIK, only Sony was able to truly solve this issue on their OLEDs.

I think native 120Hz panels will be much better with motion, so newer OLEDs (2019 and above) and newer 120Hz panels handle motion a lot better. Also 120 is a direct multiple of both 24 and 30, so even without 24p mode they'll look better.

For any new buyers, I don't suggest copying the rtings settings. They are not meant to be used with the VIDAA os. I calibrated using my Xbox's inbult tool and it improved the picture quite a bit.

Would you mind sharing your settings here?

I'm planning to get this set for my parents in a few days. I was initially planning to go for the U80 for them, but now after your excellent review I think even the U79 will be more than enough for them. 99% of their consumption is over cable anyway (I'm planning to upgrade them from HD tier to 4k tier).

Still not sure if I should go for the 55" or the 65". Currently they have a 42" 1080p Sony set (it was a pretty high end set which cost 70k at that time) so any size will be an upgrade for them. They feel the 42" is a bit small though.

Still not sure if I should go for the 55" or the 65". Currently they have a 42" 1080p Sony set (it was a pretty high end set which cost 70k at that time) so any size will be an upgrade for them. They feel the 42" is a bit small though.
i would reccommend get 55 inch if its strictly for normal cable and occational ott usage

Would you mind sharing your settings here?

I'm planning to get this set for my parents in a few days. I was initially planning to go for the U80 for them, but now after your excellent review I think even the U79 will be more than enough for them. 99% of their consumption is over cable anyway (I'm planning to upgrade them from HD tier to 4k tier).

I think it mostly depends on the viewing distance. I feel like 65" needs at least 9 feet

please share those settings so that Fms can use those after purchasing

Settings below. HDR settings are not really calibrated since the Xbox app doesn't support it but HDR Day with the below tweaks looked pretty good to me. Note that the color tuner settings are only for SDR.

Common settings for both:

Local Dimming(in backlight): High
Custom in Ultra Smooth Motion: Blur and Judder at 3

to take your point further the old Dolby vision (tv led) is better than new Dolby vision(player-led).Sony is using this New Dolby vision and facing issues.Vincent has explained this in details.

checkout the video at 12 min.

Not sure if LG supports both versions or if the older models have the Low latency version, but my Xbox supports DV on my 55B7.

If 7980 has proved to lived up to expectations u8080 is gonna be a flagship killer for sure i had made up my mind for sony 9500g but now will surely delay my purchase till u8080 is launched

I'd say 120degrees without any noticeable color shift
Also, I was wrong about this.
I do notice color shift much earlier than that. I think its more like 60-70degrees.
So if you want to get this for the living room, you might want to take this into account.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back