Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

It is exactly the same as H8F. I am not much of a sports fan, but I played some Football off of youtube and it looked pretty good. Don't see much stuttering nor is there a noticeable soap opera effect. After a bit of experimenting, I found that 3 on both judder and blur reduction looked the best to my eyes.

After some tweaking, motion handling is pretty good. I've been binging Dark on Netflix and it looks great. Colors are incredible and black are incredible for an LED. At this price this is pretty much a no brainer.
Extended warranty is automatic and is based on invoice date. Didn't have to anything.

Yes, but TV is too bright for my eyes already. Not sure if its because I'm used to an OLED but damn the backlight was too strong out of the box.
I'll gladly trade brightness for BFI. I miss it on my OLED too.

It's not a camera effect. Blacks are truly black. After spending the whole day watching Netflix, I thing the panel and picture quality is Sony/Samsung QLED tier. I'm not even kidding when I say that its comparable to my 55B7.
Also, saw your post on the other thread. Don't have to check, it is 56 for 55 inch and 60 for 65 inch. Dimming algorithm is pretty good, I don't notice blooming anywhere except for text in menus.

Dont have any 4k movie files so can't test that.
But Netflix, Prime and Youtube have been excellent so far.

Answered a few lines above.

Summarizing my experience after a day, I'd say that the TV is truly incredible for the price. Panel is spectacular and 4K media incl HDR looks great. Motion handling could be better but that is an issue even on my OLED. AFAIK, only Sony was able to truly solve this issue on their TVs.
For any new buyers, I don't suggest copying the rtings settings. They are not meant to be used with the VIDAA os. I calibrated using my Xbox's inbult tool and it improved the picture quite a bit.
Thanks a lot for such detailed review. I also booked 55" U7890 for my parents room after your initial review. Now wishing that I win the panel lottery and my set don't have any major issues:D

Not sure if LG supports both versions or if the older models have the Low latency version, but my Xbox supports DV on my 55B7.
LGsupports for tvs 2017 or later.Not sure about 2016.So yes in your case.you can read more on xbox dolby vision issues here.

U7980 is available on very limited pincodes rest of the models are available what could be reason behind that

I also placed an order for U7980 on Amazon. Delivery and installation is next week.

Thought of waiting for the U8080, but its 65 inches and there's no concrete info about its release date. I also read TV prices would increase by min 20% starting Oct 1. Hope I've made the right decision.

Last edited:
Howz the upscaling (1080p - 4K) capability of this TV? Most of my offline content is in 1080p and I was wondering how this TV would perform. Today I might book one.

Where have you read this?
I read this article regarding customs on open cell https://m.economictimes.com/news/ec...ions-from-oct-1-2020/articleshow/78215721.cms
Here:

Howz the upscaling (1080p - 4K) capability of this TV? Most of my offline content is in 1080p and I was wondering how this TV would perform. Today I might book one.
Checked out a few different HD movies on Netflix and its pretty decent. I see a little bit of loss in sharpness but overall detail is still retained well.

@fragpic @saran , can you guys confirm if this TV has Plex app? I'm considering buying it today (still undecided on 55" v/s 65") but not having Plex might make me reconsider as I won't be able to stream from my plex server.

Edit: Also, is it possible to stream videos from a local FTP server?

Last edited:
@fragpic @saran , can you guys confirm if this TV has Plex app? I'm considering buying it today (still undecided on 55" v/s 65") but not having Plex might make me reconsider as I won't be able to stream from my plex server.

Edit: Also, is it possible to stream videos from a local FTP server?
Yes, it does have a Plex app.
There is something called Anyview Stream which seems to support DLNA streaming.
20200921_185614.jpg

Also, the Dolby Vision issue is specific to this model of the TV.
Here's a video of the R8F(same as H8F but with Roku OS) that clearly shows that DV is supported on Xbox One.

Yes, it does have a Plex app.
There is something called Anyview Stream which seems to support DLNA streaming.
View attachment 49900

Also, the Dolby Vision issue is specific to this model of the TV.
Here's a video of the R8F(same as H8F but with Roku OS) that clearly shows that DV is supported on Xbox One.

Thanks for the reply. Plex will help a lot as I have 3+ TB of 1080p (x265, 10-bit), 2160p or 2160p HDR content in my local libraries through years of accumulation and data hoarding on my plex server (which runs on my desktop workstation).

I don't plan to use an Xbox to play DV on this TV anyway. Will get a shield TV from one of my friends in US, or just get the Google's upcoming chromecast if it doesn't suck (Google products usually suck though). The DLNA sharing is also a nice feature and it may be able to pick my SMB share (they are on different ports though, so I don't think but let's see when I get it).

One more thing: The Hisense high end models have an option to manually cover the microphone at the bottom of the TV. Does this model have that. The only information the TV can send to China is the microphone info(and your browsing data), as there are no other sensors on these TVs. As long as I can block the mic, I can even use the VIDAA OS.

Edit: Toshiba has promised frequent updates to this TV for years. So likely it will get an update to VIDAA 4.0 soon and your DV issue will be sorted out as well.

Guys quick question: My viewing distance is 12-14 ft, should I go for 55 inch or 65 inch?
Ideally higher than that for a full 4k experience. But 65 surely if you are going to watch a lot of ott. For dth content its best to go and visually see...some people have said they liked the dth content on 55inch better.

One more thing: The Hisense high end models have an option to manually cover the microphone at the bottom of the TV. Does this model have that. The only information the TV can send to China is the microphone info(and your browsing data), as there are no other sensors on these TVs. As long as I can block the mic, I can even use the VIDAA OS.
There is no mic on the TV, it's on the remote. I guess you should be fine if you dont pair it with the TV.
All other functions work over IR so it shouldn't affect regular usage.

There is no mic on the TV, it's on the remote. I guess you should be fine if you dont pair it with the TV.
All other functions work over IR so it shouldn't affect regular usage.

Thanks for all your help man. 55U7980 ordered(put measurements on the wall and parents felt 65" is too big). Cost me 39k after the Diners club discount and current 1k Amazon voucher(current HDFC offer going on if you spend over 33k). Hope it doesn't disappoint!

Thanks for all your help man. 55U7980 ordered(put measurements on the wall and parents felt 65" is too big). Cost me 39k after the Diners club discount and current 1k Amazon voucher(current HDFC offer going on if you spend over 33k). Hope it doesn't disappoint!
congrats bro hope u like it
ill wait for u80 or go for samsung 65ru7470

I do have to diners club card. How do you get the discounts to 39K?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back