TV Settings Thread

allajunaki

For the Benefit of the Members, Im setting up this thread.
I think its a good idea for people share their TV settings used. :)

I request all of you give the best settings for your television in this format :
Model Number :
Ambient conditions : (Day/Night/Brightly lit room/dim room/HT setup, etc)
Typical Usage : (channels used/DVD/BlueRay/PS3/Xbox360/Xtreamer/WDTV etc)
Settings Used :

Let me start with mine

Model : 42PQ60
Ambient Conditions : Night/Dimly lit room
Typical Usage : AXN, Star Movies, HBO (Tata Sky+ over composite)

Settings used :

Energy Saving : Medium
Contrast : 80
Brightness : 40
Colour : 45
Sharpness : 35
Tint : 0

Advanced Settings
Dynamic Contrast : Off
XD Colour : High
Gamma : Medium
Black Level : Low
Colour Temperature : Medium

Another, good setting for PQ60. Its based on settings for PQ30 given by someone on another forum

Contrast : 90
Brightness : 60
Color : 50
Sharpness : 52

Advanced Settings :
Active Contrast : Low
XD Color : Off
Gamma : High
Noise Reduction : Low

Energy Saving : Intelligent Low (Optional, Since I was watching in night time with very little ambient lighting, I prefer the energy saver, since they act as 'eye saver' :) ).

Seems to make a marked improvement. Funny, If I were to set the settings myself, I will never keep gamma as High....

Settings apply to each instance due to the lighting conditions, room setup, viewing/listening preferences. Putting values for settings is not very helpful and could be misleading.

Settings apply to each instance due to the lighting conditions, room setup, viewing/listening preferences. Putting values for settings is not very helpful and could be misleading.

True, But it serves to be a good baseline from which you can tweak from. That was the idea :) .

Great thread for noobs like me! Just bought a 50PQ70 - What settings would you recommend for initial 100hrs?
Another, good setting for PQ60. Its based on settings for PQ30 given by someone on another forum

Contrast : 90
Brightness : 60
Color : 50
Sharpness : 52

Advanced Settings :
Active Contrast : Low
XD Color : Off
Gamma : High
Noise Reduction : Low

Energy Saving : Intelligent Low (Optional, Since I was watching in night time with very little ambient lighting, I prefer the energy saver, since they act as 'eye saver' :) ).

Seems to make a marked improvement. Funny, If I were to set the settings myself, I will never keep gamma as High....

Great thread for noobs like me! Just bought a 50PQ70 - What settings would you recommend for initial 100hrs?

Hi, My box is also new, thats why I was prowling all over for a good setting. I would recommend you to use the above setting with powersaver set to medium or max. With powersaver off, the overall panel brightness will be very high, high enough to get some IR atleast during the initial hours.

I think the biggest piece of advice for a newbie with regard to settings on a TV is to start from the "Movie" or "Cinema" setting and then tweak to satisfaction, and that the other two options (standard/normal and dynamic) are just different shades of useless.

That's right one can do the following steps -

1.Switch to cinema mode
2. Reduce the sharpness to zero
3.Turn off PQ improvement programs like DNI etc
4.Set the color tones, neutral, warm , cool,
5. Adjust the brightness and contrast to 50% levels for break in

For advanced users they can play with RGB settings and tint

I think the biggest piece of advice for a newbie with regard to settings on a TV is to start from the "Movie" or "Cinema" setting and then tweak to satisfaction, and that the other two options (standard/normal and dynamic) are just different shades of useless.

Unfortunately the PQ60's Warm (default in cinema mode) is bit too warm. Hence you find a lot of forums suggesting "neutral" as a starting point and then compensating with other settings.

I guess you're talking of colour temperature, I have no idea about the LG, but on the Samsung Warm2 is the most neutral. Initially it looks over-warm in comparison, but this is the most natural colour temperature available, and once you get used to it, the other settings look ghostly pale!

Unfortunately the PQ60's Warm (default in cinema mode) is bit too warm. Hence you find a lot of forums suggesting "neutral" as a starting point and then compensating with other settings.

I guess you're talking of colour temperature, I have no idea about the LG, but on the Samsung Warm2 is the most neutral. Initially it looks over-warm in comparison, but this is the most natural colour temperature available, and once you get used to it, the other settings look ghostly pale!

Well, yeah, looks a lot like warm2 of samsung ( I have a samsung CRT 21inch TV and 25inch CRT, both of em have very very warm colors).
Planning to do some further calibration with my laptop over VGA cable, over the weekend. Might switch to warm while doing so.

My G10 settings are as follows.

For SD and HD:

Profile: Cinema
Contrast 36
Brightness: 0
Colour: 30
Sharpness: 60/40 (SD/HD)
Colour balance: Normal
Colour management: Off
x.v.Colour: Off
Eco-mode: Off
P-NR: Off
Intelligent Frame Creation: Off
3D Comb: On/Off (SD/HD)
W/B High red: -2
W/B High blue: 0
W/B Low red: -4
W/B Low blue: 0
Gamma: 2.2

It is almost similar to the settings found at FlatpanelsHD...

Last edited:
Hello guys,
this tv calibration is best done with calibration test pattern. There is this dvd avia guide to home theater which is custom made for that. I have it with me. If somebody in Calcutta interested I am happy to help. Just pm me.
Thanks.

Dear Friends,

While buying my LCD TV i have got very good tips from all of you, i once again thanks each and every one...

I have taken Samsung 40' 550 Model, can any one guide me the best setting so that i can enjoy more while watching...............

Thanks
Sandy

Hello guys,
this tv calibration is best done with calibration test pattern. There is this dvd avia guide to home theater which is custom made for that. I have it with me. If somebody in Calcutta interested I am happy to help. Just pm me.
Thanks.

Any idea where I could get it in Delhi?

Hi,
I have a week old Samsung 42B450.The set is quite good at SD and HD.
I have a query though,the brightness and contrast are set below 50 considering the break in time.but the dark scenes look totally dark and i need to struggle to find faces.
Is there something i can tinker with in the settings to correct this.

Thanks.

My Philips 32PFL 5609 setting-

Brightness - 78
Contrast - 53
Clour - 37
Sharpness - 4 (7 for DVD)
Light senser - on

Dynamic contrast- off
Noice reductio -medium
Dynamic backlight -Best picture

Here are the settings that work best with my Samsung 40B530, under my viewing conditions ...

Mode - Standard
Backlight - 7
Contrast - 72
Brightness - 50
Sharpness - 30
Color - 40
Tint - 53-47

Advance Settings :
Black Tone - Off
Dynamic Contrast - Medium
Gamma - 0
Colorspace - Auto
Flesh Tone - 0
Edge Enhancement - On

Picture Options :
Color Tone - Cool
Digital NR - Auto

Fellow B530 users, please share your settings so that I could try them out :)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back