What subwoofer for my setup?

samgurung

I recently started my journey into hifi by getting the elac b6.2 bookshelf speakers which i have paired with a marantz avr. I am now considering a subwoofer. Budget around 40k. Medium sized room. Have read great things about bic america pl 200. Looking for better bass and larger sound. Is that a good one to marry my bookselfs and avr with?

I recently started my journey into hifi by getting the elac b6.2 bookshelf speakers which i have paired with a marantz avr. I am now considering a subwoofer. Budget around 40k. Medium sized room. Have read great things about bic america pl 200. Looking for better bass and larger sound. Is that a good one to marry my bookselfs and avr with?
For music? Bic is a very vfm speaker for it's price range. Also check out Yamahas sw300. Being a servo based subwoofer, should be good for music and movies. Not sure if it goes down to claimed 20hz but for the price, you can go dual.

You could also look at preowned svs subwoofers. There is a Pb1000 putup for sale. Pl check the classified section

Selling my 3 month old bic let me know if you are interested

Since you said your budget is 40K, i would suggest dual Taga Harmony TSW 120 subs.. Each sub is abt 20 ~ 22K.. (or) any other brand of subs in that range..
So this would give me a better listening experience and much better quality bass than a single bic pl 200 ii?

So this would give me a better listening experience and much better quality bass than a single bic pl 200 ii?
A dual sub gives you even, Tight and smooth bass compared to a single sub. Check with TSW 120 owners and if possible demo the sub yourself and see if you like it.

IMO if you are going to go dual go for bic f12 or yamaha sw 300. Taga platinum i had a rough demo which is considered to be the best taga sub and it was just about average. The bass was very flat and didnt feel the punch. A single and good quality sub will be better then two bad or average subs

Taga platinum i had a rough demo which is considered to be the best taga sub and it was just about average. The bass was very flat and didnt feel the punch.

I don't know how you term the sub average.. Where you had the demo, was it a single sub?..

I had dual Taga Platinum Sw10 v.2 for abt 18 months time in my room and did measure them, and it can reach abt 22Hz in my room.. What matters is the SPL, which any budget sub would struggle to reach.. That is a limitation of any budget sub.. So why blame saying it is average..

A single and good quality sub will be better then two bad or average subs

There is no way to know how good a sub is until you measure it (or) you you sit very close to it.. Ears can't judge the low freq in the room accurately..

Even if you have an sooper expensive sub, moving a feet from your listening position can change the response.. Assuming atleast 2 ppl sit in a room to watch movie, then dual subs will defnetly have advantages over single sub..

I don't know how you term the sub average.. Where you had the demo, was it a single sub?..

I had dual Taga Platinum Sw10 v.2 for abt 18 months time in my room and did measure them, and it can reach abt 22Hz in my room.. What matters is the SPL, which any budget sub would struggle to reach.. That is a limitation of any budget sub.. So why blame saying it is average..

There is no way to know how good a sub is until you measure it (or) you you sit very close to it.. Ears can't judge the low freq in the room accurately..

Even if you have an sooper expensive sub, moving a feet from your listening position can change the response.. Assuming atleast 2 ppl sit in a room to watch movie, then dual subs will defnetly have advantages over single sub..
I had a demo of the platinum sub in Max HT. The bass wasn't tight and felt flat. The bic f12 sounded better then the Taga platinum. Lately i have been auditioning few subs and infact got the xtz 12.17, 10.17 edge, dual bic pl 200-ii at my room itself just for testing purpose. Like i said IMO and Sharing my views according to my taste.And also i have mentioned rough demo :)

Like i said IMO and Sharing my views according to my taste.And also i have mentioned rough demo :)

:) Fair enough..

I had a demo of the platinum sub in Max HT. The bass wasn't tight and felt flat. The bic f12 sounded better then the Taga platinum.

May be it is.. But not until they are measured at the same location to reveal the actual difference..

Lately i have been auditioning few subs and infact got the xtz 12.17, 10.17 edge, dual bic pl 200-ii at my room itself just for testing purpose.

Yup.. Have seen your posts..

@elangoas and @Love4sound ...Now am confused guys :). No option for a demo. Where I live there are no stores selling hifi gear. Ill have to order online. The taga sw are half the price of the bic. Tempted to get two but also want the best sound at my budget.!

@elangoas and @Love4sound ...Now am confused guys :). No option for a demo. Where I live there are no stores selling hifi gear. Ill have to order online. The taga sw are half the price of the bic. Tempted to get two but also want the best sound at my budget.!
Give us more information about your room so we can suggest. How have you set your HT a schematic diagram would help

Give us more information about your room so we can suggest. How have you set your HT a schematic diagram would help
Room is about 2000 cu ft. ( 20x10x10). The front and left are 10ft apart and my listening position is 10 ft away from them.. but i am against a wal.. no space behind me. If i go dual i can place one sub about 6 ft behind the right speaker with one of its side against the wall. the other sub can probably go to the front of the right speaker , again about 8 ft away from it

A subwoofer placed in a random spot in a demo room would give wrong impressions of the product.. I would suggest you to skip the demo and buy the subs that you can accomodate in your budget..

Please read some articles for an informed decision..

https://www.lifewire.com/benefits-of-multiple-subwoofers-3134895

https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/75040195-why-go-dual

Room is about 2000 cu ft. ( 20x10x10). The front and left are 10ft apart and my listening position is 10 ft away from them.. but i am against a wal.. no space behind me. If i go dual i can place one sub about 6 ft behind the right speaker with one of its side against the wall. the other sub can probably go to the front of the right speaker , again about 8 ft away from it
OK Dual would be good for your room. Setting up a good HT some times takes trial and error method when you dont have the option to audition especially for a sub-woofer. My advice is since you dont have the option to audition you need to see reviews of owners of the subwoofer you are going to get.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back