Best LCD/PLASMA TVs 40" - 50"

Wish you all a (belated) Very Happy New Year!

Continuing on my search for a HDTV ... Yesterday I checked out the the new LG LED SL90 model.
As you guys mentioned (in this thread & the other one), it is indeed an edge-lit LED model (& not full LED backlit like LH90) with 100 Hz refresh rate (vs. 200 Hz of LH90). I read some of the reviews on this model (i.e. its UK version SL9000) and most reviewers/experts pointed out these asects plus other issues like - the glossy screen being quite reflective, having poor viewing angle, PQ not as good as Sony/Samsung LED backlit models etc. etc.

Here is what I observed:

Design: The model is very thin and very attarctively designed, the glossy glass panel and thin borders look nice. It probably is a better looking model than the Samsung's B6000/B7000 models. However, unlike the Samsung LEDs, it doesn't have any connectivity ports at the side, all are at the rear. This I thought is a major design flaw/limitation which will upset many people who want to wall-mount the TV.

PQ: I saw blu-ray and DVD inputs fed into this - compared to LH90, somehow I found the picture to be brighter in SL90. I thought black levels are as good if not better than LH90. I carried my WD HDD (with a few avi, divx movies), connected that - first to the LH90 and then to the SL90. Couldn't find any difference in avi, but in divx, again I found the picture quality to be better in SL90.

Features: It has all the connectivity options - HDMI (4), USB (only one), component. But as mentioned earlier, not having ports at the side is an issue. However, connecting HDD through USB - I found it was really simple to navigate and play movies, even forward/rewind. Somehow, I found navigating through dirs/files in LH90 was a bit of pain as it was responding very slowly to remote keys, but in SL90 the response was prompt. There is also bluetooth connectivity option. However, the picture refresh rate is 100 Hz, so motion handling will surely not be as good as LH90.

Price: I was checking on the 47" model for which the quote was 1.04 L. I guess, with some bargaining, I can bring it down to max. by another 2-3 k. That makes it almost identically priced as the Samsung UA46B6000.

My conclusion: Though the design is great and PQ is also quite good - but being a edge-lit model (which I understand has its inherent limitations), not having ports at the side and most importantly with a price tag that is greater than or equal to the Samsung 6 series LED models - a combination of all these make it not a great buy.

I am back to LH90 and others ... BTW, LH90 is still available in Bangalore but only the 42" model. I was given a quote of 70k for 42LH90 (which may come down further by another 1-2 k max) which I think is a good deal considering the PQ & features it offers. But I haven't booked it yet, only because I am still thinking about a 46/47" (or even a 50") HDTV - for less than 90k. The showroom guy realized that and showed me - the newly released 55" LH50 model, I think he was quoting 1.15 L for that, but was willing to negotiate further; and also the 47LH70 model (47" LG Scarlet 2.0), quoting 75k, which may come down further (which I thought was a very good deal).
I will either settle for 42LH90 itself or may go for 47" Scarlet.

Blasto/Adder/ all other HDTV experts - any last minute advice or suggestions on alternatives?

Last edited:
Wish you all a (belated) Very Happy New Year!

Continuing on my search for a HDTV ... Yesterday I checked out the the new LG LED SL90 model.
As you guys mentioned (in this thread & the other one), it is indeed an edge-lit LED model (& not full LED backlit like LH90) with 100 Hz refresh rate (vs. 200 Hz of LH90). I read some of the reviews on this model (i.e. its UK version SL9000) and most reviewers/experts pointed out these asects plus other issues like - the glossy screen being quite reflective, having poor viewing angle, PQ not as good as Sony/Samsung LED backlit models etc. etc.

Here is what I observed:

Design: The model is very thin and very attarctively designed, the glossy glass panel and thin borders look nice. It probably is a better looking model than the Samsung's B6000/B7000 models. However, unlike the Samsung LEDs, it doesn't have any connectivity ports at the side, all are at the rear. This I thought is a major design flaw/limitation which will upset many people who want to wall-mount the TV.

PQ: I saw blu-ray and DVD inputs fed into this - compared to LH90, somehow I found the picture to be brighter in SL90. I thought black levels are as good if not better than LH90. I carried my WD HDD (with a few avi, divx movies), connected that - first to the LH90 and then to the SL90. Couldn't find any difference in avi, but in divx, again I found the picture quality to be better in SL90.

Features: It has all the connectivity options - HDMI (4), USB (only one), component. But as mentioned earlier, not having ports at the side is an issue. However, connecting HDD through USB - I found it was really simple to navigate and play movies, even forward/rewind. Somehow, I found navigating through dirs/files in LH90 was a bit of pain as it was responding very slowly to remote keys, but in SL90 the response was prompt. There is also bluetooth connectivity option. However, the picture refresh rate is 100 Hz, so motion handling will surely not be as good as LH90.

Price: I was checking on the 47" model for which the quote was 1.04 L. I guess, with some bargaining, I can bring it down to max. by another 2-3 k. That makes it almost identically priced as the Samsung UA46B6000.

My conclusion: Though the design is great and PQ is also quite good - but being a edge-lit model (which I understand has its inherent limitations), not having ports at the side and most importantly with a price tag that is greater than or equal to the Samsung 6 series LED models - a combination of all these make it not a great buy.

I am back to LH90 and others ... BTW, LH90 is still available in Bangalore but only the 42" model. I was given a quote of 70k for 42LH90 (which may come down further by another 1-2 k max) which I think is a good deal considering the PQ & features it offers. But I haven't booked it yet, only because I am still thinking about a 46/47" (or even a 50") HDTV - for less than 90k. The showroom guy realized that and showed me - the newly released 55" LH50 model, I think he was quoting 1.15 L for that, but was willing to negotiate further; and also the 47LH70 model (47" LG Scarlet 2.0), quoting 75k, which may come down further (which I thought was a very good deal).
I will either settle for 42LH90 itself or may go for 47" Scarlet.

Blasto/Adder/ all other HDTV experts - any last minute advice or suggestions on alternatives?

Iam not going to recommend you any non-local dimming LED LG TVs to you.
They lack black levels (period).

You might/might not see this in the showroom because of the the all round lights.
Go after hours or during the closing time and demo both samsung and LG TVs in the dark and you can see it for yourself what I say.
Iam saying this because, after bringing a 47" set home for >70k, you should not be in a position that you cannot see the movie in the night.

Having said that, I have not seen the SL90 model (though I don't have any reason to believe LG dramatically improved their panel in this). If you found SL90 brighter than LH90, Its probably because of poor black level and you can confirm only in the dark. The local dimming LED (LH90) is surprisingly good. This is more of an exception!

If you plan to buy a LG LCD TV, Don't do it without having a dark room demo (possibly with the dark knight trailer which has dark images) beside a comparable samsung. This is the last minute advice I give you.

Last edited:
have u considered he lg pq 30/60/70 plamas. they r 720p but anyways the only 1080p source is BR. and even then alot of experts say that the extra resolution of 1080 over 720 is a factor only when the tv is above 50in ie. 52 in and above and even then only if u view from few feet away and even then not everyone will notice the difference. there hv been many blind tests where most people including some experts couldnt notice real world differences.
u'll get these for <60k for a 50" and u can use d savings for later.
i'd say go for d biggest screen yr budget will allow. i've never felt wish id bought a smaller size. in fact even wit 50in at 8 ft distance i'm wishing that i cld afford the lg 60in :eek:hyeah: plasma which was abt 1.8l.

Hello Saumitra,

You say that LH90 is still available in Bangalore. May I know where it is available? I had checked with a few shops in south Bangalore during Christmas, but none had any stock....

Hello Saumitra,

You say that LH90 is still available in Bangalore. May I know where it is available? I had checked with a few shops in south Bangalore during Christmas, but none had any stock....

Saumitra.. Now you've got a competition.. ;)

On a serious note, When you order two TVs, most dealers give atleast a 500-1000 discount.. Why don't you guys sync up?

3 showrooms told me they can deliver 42LH90 - Reliance Digital in Cunnigham road, Unilet Indiranagar 100 ft road and LG Best Shoppe in Marathalli Outer Ring road (opposite Innovative multiplex). But no one has the 47LH90 (47" model) - I had even talked to the LG marketing manager (he once called me to inform that SL90 has been launched and I should consider it in place of the LH90) only to be told that there is no 47LH90 model left .... Since my viewing distance is about 12 ft, I was very keen on 46"/47"/50" model and that's the only reason I haven't finalized the 42LH90 yet. The Marathalli LG showroom in fact said he could deliver the 42LH90 in a day.
Going by the inputs from the forum members, I have now narrowed down to the Samsung LA46B650 (besides the 42LH90). Only one dealer gave me hope yesterday - saying he can deliver it with 1-2 days. But he quoted 95 k as the final price - which I thought was at least 5 k more than what it should be.
Can any other forum member please confirm on what should be a fair price for LA46B650?

On a similar note I had again done a side by side comparison of the two LED models available in the market Samsung UA46B6000 and LG 47SL90. Inputs were DTH signal, Blu-Ray, DVD and USB flash drive (avi & divx).
With due respect to other members (I dont believe anyone in this forum has actually done a comparison looking at both the models physically), I will have to say SL90 PQ looked better, marginally thoygh at least in terms of brightness and clarity. I also take back my earlier comment on SL90 not having any connectivity ports at the side it actually has two side ports one USB and one HDMI. Considering that B6000 can play media files only for USB flash-drive while SL90 can flay those from both flash-drives and HDDs (which is what I guess most people use to store their media contents these days) and also considering that it has a Bluetooth connectivity (I dont really consider this a very useful feature) I have to say SL90 has better spec-ed that B6000. On the flip-side the glossy glass-covered panel of SL90 does have some reflection when kept in a brightly lit room. But then is it not the same with most plasmas?

For those considering to spend upto 1 L to take home a very good looking LED backlit TV I would say 47SL90 is a better VFM model than LA46B6000. I know most people in this forum may not agree. But I would ask them to compare these two models physically before passing any judgment.

On a similar note I had again done a side by side comparison of the two LED models available in the market Samsung UA46B6000 and LG 47SL90. Inputs were DTH signal, Blu-Ray, DVD and USB flash drive (avi & divx).
With due respect to other members (I dont believe anyone in this forum has actually done a comparison looking at both the models physically), I will have to say SL90 PQ looked better, marginally thoygh at least in terms of brightness and clarity. I also take back my earlier comment on SL90 not having any connectivity ports at the side it actually has two side ports one USB and one HDMI. Considering that B6000 can play media files only for USB flash-drive while SL90 can flay those from both flash-drives and HDDs (which is what I guess most people use to store their media contents these days) and also considering that it has a Bluetooth connectivity (I dont really consider this a very useful feature) I have to say SL90 has better spec-ed that B6000. On the flip-side the glossy glass-covered panel of SL90 does have some reflection when kept in a brightly lit room. But then is it not the same with most plasmas?

For those considering to spend upto 1 L to take home a very good looking LED backlit TV I would say 47SL90 is a better VFM model than LA46B6000. I know most people in this forum may not agree. But I would ask them to compare these two models physically before passing any judgment.

Well, If you like it so much, Why not take it?
As I said before, I haven't seen it in person.. But LG could have put in efforts to improve it drastically over the LCDs..

Experts, Any opinion on SL90?

Well, If you like it so much, Why not take it?

Blasto,
The reason is simple - it is 1 L and my budget as I mentioned (many times) is max. 90k. Besides, I personally believe LED backlit TVs, though as good or better than the best LCDs available in the market in terms of PQ alone, are really still in their early phase, so they cant be as mature as the CCFL LCDs.
The point I was making was - if and only if you are considering these good-looking and sleek LED edge-lit TVs, comparing the Samsung & LG models you should consider the SL90 ahead of the B6000.

Blasto,
The reason is simple - it is 1 L and my budget as I mentioned (many times) is max. 90k. Besides, I personally believe LED backlit TVs, though as good or better than the best LCDs available in the market in terms of PQ alone, are really still in their early phase, so they cant be as mature as the CCFL LCDs.
The point I was making was - if and only if you are considering these good-looking and sleek LED edge-lit TVs, comparing the Samsung & LG models you should consider the SL90 ahead of the B6000.

Well, you have nothing left except the B650 then.
Congrats, you have reached your destination. :)

Well, you have nothing left except the B650 then.
Congrats, you have reached your destination.
Actually yes - I really want to buy the LA46B650 and get done. Yesterday one dealer (Adishwar) said he has stock of this and can deliver this. He quoted 95k as the final price. I was bargaining for 90k and delayed the decision by a day because I wanted to talk to the store manager before finalizing the price, but he was not available at that time.
Sometime back today, in the middle of a meeting I get a call from the salesperson of Adiswhar - and he says 'Sorry sir, the last piece of LA46B650 that we had has been sold'.

I think getting enlightened about VFM quotient of the LCD/Plasma models is turning out to be a bad thing in my case .
With your inputs I wanted to buy LH90 (47), PS50B550 (Samsung Plasma) & now the LA46B650 I cant get hold of any of these.

Actually yes - I really want to buy the LA46B650 and get done. Yesterday one dealer (Adishwar) said he has stock of this and can deliver this. He quoted 95k as the final price. I was bargaining for 90k and delayed the decision by a day because I wanted to talk to the store manager before finalizing the price, but he was not available at that time.
Sometime back today, in the middle of a meeting I get a call from the salesperson of Adiswhar - and he says 'Sorry sir, the last piece of LA46B650 that we had has been sold'.

I think getting enlightened about VFM quotient of the LCD/Plasma models is turning out to be a bad thing in my case .
With your inputs I wanted to buy LH90 (47), PS50B550 (Samsung Plasma) & now the LA46B650 I cant get hold of any of these.

Probably your thread is the reason for that.. ;)
Someone who is reading this is ahead of you.. :eek:hyeah:

I came close to buying LA46B650 this weekend - but couldn't quite make it. One delaer offered me his last i.e. the diplay piece for 95k (may have come down to 90k if I had agreed for the display piece), another dealer quoted 93k but said he may get it in 15 days (he was not sure).
So I gave up. I was then only considering two LG models - 42LH90 for 70 k (may have come by 1-2 k) and 47LH70 (Scarlet 2.0) for 69k.
I finally settled for 47" Scarlet for 68.5k - mainly because of the temptation to go for a larger screen (47 vs. 42) for same price. Booked it yesterday evening in Devi International (1st block, Jayanagar), expecting the delivery today.

For those in Bangalore, do visit Devi International (if you haven't done so already) and you would get the best/lowest prices for all LCD TVs (Samsung, LG, Sony, Philips) and in fact for any home appliances.

^^Gratz on the purchase bro....btw, how was the picture quality difference between the Sammy and the LG? also, did/could u compare the LG (Scarlet and LH90) with a Sammy B550?

I came close to buying LA46B650 this weekend - but couldn't quite make it. One delaer offered me his last i.e. the diplay piece for 95k (may have come down to 90k if I had agreed for the display piece), another dealer quoted 93k but said he may get it in 15 days (he was not sure).
So I gave up. I was then only considering two LG models - 42LH90 for 70 k (may have come by 1-2 k) and 47LH70 (Scarlet 2.0) for 69k.
I finally settled for 47" Scarlet for 68.5k - mainly because of the temptation to go for a larger screen (47 vs. 42) for same price. Booked it yesterday evening in Devi International (1st block, Jayanagar), expecting the delivery today.

For those in Bangalore, do visit Devi International (if you haven't done so already) and you would get the best/lowest prices for all LCD TVs (Samsung, LG, Sony, Philips) and in fact for any home appliances.

Congrats.. :clapping:
Atlast you managed to get the TV you least liked I suppose.. :eek:hyeah:

Post your observation on night time viewing, black levels and SD viewing compared to your old samsung.. :)

Blasto - you are right. Scarlett was my last choice among the short-listed 46/47" LCDs. However, the pain in getting the B650 coupled with the price (of Scarlet) tilted my decision in its favour.
Imrahn,
Yes, I had compared the Scarlet with LH90 and B550 (side-by-side) & also B650. Some in this forum (including Blasto who gave me the most useful and genuine inputs) may not agree, but according to my own observation, in terms of picture quality alone:
LH90 > B650 > Scarlet > B550
Besides, Scarlets USB movie-playback feature (which B550 doesnt have) and the price (46B550 was 6-7 k costlier) meant I never considered the B550 seriously.
I have got the delivery yesterday, the LG technician is coming for installing it today afternoon. I will surely post some of my observations on Scarlet (dark viewing, black-levels, SD picture, ). I have got a lot of useful inputs (that I was looking for) on LCD/Plasmas and also on projectors, gaming consoles (I plan to buy a PS3/PS3 Slim soon) from the forum members and this (sharing my experience with my new LCD) is the least that I must do

One other point though I was not willing to go beyond 90k for my new TV, I actually checked out most of the available LCD & Plasma models from 60 k (42 LG Jazz) to 180 k (Sony Z & X series/ Pana V10/ PY850D). As you all know, the best model search is always tied to the price range and sometime soon I will try to summarize what are the best available LCD/plasma models in each price range (according to me) hoping that it would help a prospective buyer and be a proper logical conclusion for this thread.

Blasto - you are right. Scarlett was my last choice among the short-listed 46/47" LCDs. However, the pain in getting the B650 coupled with the price (of Scarlet) tilted my decision in its favour.
Imrahn,
Yes, I had compared the Scarlet with LH90 and B550 (side-by-side) & also B650. Some in this forum (including Blasto who gave me the most useful and genuine inputs) may not agree, but according to my own observation, in terms of picture quality alone:
LH90 > B650 > Scarlet > B550
Besides, Scarlets USB movie-playback feature (which B550 doesnt have) and the price (46B550 was 6-7 k costlier) meant I never considered the B550 seriously.
I have got the delivery yesterday, the LG technician is coming for installing it today afternoon. I will surely post some of my observations on Scarlet (dark viewing, black-levels, SD picture, ). I have got a lot of useful inputs (that I was looking for) on LCD/Plasmas and also on projectors, gaming consoles (I plan to buy a PS3/PS3 Slim soon) from the forum members and this (sharing my experience with my new LCD) is the least that I must do

One other point though I was not willing to go beyond 90k for my new TV, I actually checked out most of the available LCD & Plasma models from 60 k (42 LG Jazz) to 180 k (Sony Z & X series/ Pana V10/ PY850D). As you all know, the best model search is always tied to the price range and sometime soon I will try to summarize what are the best available LCD/plasma models in each price range (according to me) hoping that it would help a prospective buyer and be a proper logical conclusion for this thread.

Learning Time is over.. Now it is teaching time.. :clapping:

The Best LCD panel manufacturer in the world "HITACHI"
Since its a japanese panel they are valued much for Quality & not for Quantity.
It has got IPS panel.
1 more Secret: ALL the Samsung TV's have no single panel made of their own.
Its a essense from Hitachi panel ,its the only one apart from panasonic having their panel manufacturing company.
Clarity wise it can viewed from any angle ,not like others with Viewing problem.
GLOSSY PANELS ARE NOT ALWAYS BEST.
1 more Secret: The Full HD format can be viewed only after 32" else theres no much difference between a full HD & HD Ready.

HOPE INFO IS USEFUL & PEOPLE BUYING REST APART FROM PANASONIC & HITACHI ARE SELF DECLARATIVE FOOLS.

It has got IPS panel.
Its a essense from Hitachi panel ,its the only one apart from panasonic having their panel manufacturing company.
Clarity wise it can viewed from any angle ,not like others with Viewing problem.
1 more Secret: The Full HD format can be viewed only after 32" else theres no much difference between a full HD & HD Ready.

HOPE INFO IS USEFUL & PEOPLE BUYING REST APART FROM PANASONIC & HITACHI ARE SELF DECLARATIVE FOOLS.

Samsung is not even IPS panel to get it from Hitachi..
Do your homework before posting!

Also, Panels used in panasonics are LG's till 2009.

It has got IPS panel.

@Mahesh,
You are obviously new to the forum. Before making sensational comments, please read through our archives. Your best kept "secrets" have been discussed to death on this forum on several threads (albeit some of them you have stated are outright wrong). Please educate yourself before calling others fools.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back