Best LCD/PLASMA TVs 40" - 50"

Blasto,
I remember you yourself had recommended Samsung PS50B550 plasma which was about 40-50k cheaper than Pana V10 and surely that was because of the VFM & not really because you think PQ of Samsung plasma B550 was better than Pana V10. It is the same point I am trying put across here while comparing LG vs. Samsung LCDs.

They do not belong to the same category. In fact the B550 is competetion to the Panasonic S10 and is better than that. I recommended it to you because it fell in your price point and V10 was way outside. :)

I want you to write your experience on your LG after a week of ownership of night time viewing compared to your earlier 3 year old samsung LCD. I don't know the outcome as I never saw the SL90 in person (planning this weekend). if it were the scarlet, I pretty much know the outcome. :eek:hyeah:

Regarding LH90 vs B650, they are even for the price.

I want you to write your experience on your LG after a week of ownership of night time viewing compared to your earlier 3 year old samsung LCD. I don't know the outcome as I never saw the SL90 in person (planning this weekend). if it were the scarlet, I pretty much know the outcome.

My SL90 delivery is getting delayed. Though the dealer had promised delivery within this week, he informed me yesterday evening that he is not going to get the new stock from LG (that will include the 47" SL90, he now has only 42" SL90) before the next weekend and he can deliver only by the month-end. It is a painful wait ... Hopefully what I get will be worth the wait ...

Blasto,
I think we both are saying the same thing (PQ only vs. PQ+VFM) - it's just that you have too strong an opinion for Samsung and against LG while I have a strong opinion against Samsung and for any other brand.
I remember you yourself had recommended Samsung PS50B550 plasma which was about 40-50k cheaper than Pana V10 and surely that was because of the VFM & not really because you think PQ of Samsung plasma B550 was better than Pana V10. It is the same point I am trying put across here while comparing LG vs. Samsung LCDs.

pkv,
If you get the LA40B650, you should take that ahead of 40LH90.
FYI - Marathalli LG best shoppe had quoted me 70k for 42LH90 and I am sure you can bring it down to 68k. You can try the Jayanagar Devi showroom also for both B650 & LH90 to get the best quote in Bangalore.

Enquired many Places including all Samsung Plazas but they do not have B650 model and they are instead promoting LED B6000 model. B6000 model does not come with Ethernet and B7000 comes with Ethernet. Price quoted for B6000 was 89K which i think can come down to 82K. I know you have looked at B6000 and LH90 ? How do you compare these two.
Someone had bought LH90 at Devi for 65K so i am heading there now..I will also check side by side B6000 and LH90.

@pkv: the only place having stock of Samsung B650 is ebay.in

EDIT: Just called him up again right now for payment talks, seems he needs confirmation from Samsung regarding the availability. :(

Last edited:
pkv,
Do check with Devi on B650 also, they may be able to get you one (40" model) by the month-end (that's what they told me). Note that they also don't have any LH90 either in display or in stock, but they said they may get some 42LH90 stock (against confirmed order) by the month-end (please verify before booking). They have B6000 (40) on display and in stock. So you can check this out, but wont be able to compare it side by side with LH90. Few days back I could do that in Reliance Digital (Cunninghum road) they had both LH90 & B6000 (& B7000) on display. If you want to take a look at the B650, visit Modern World (Domlur) they have one 46 B650 on display.

Between B6000 (40) & LH90 (42) I will surely go for the LH90 and I am sure most forum members including Blasto would concur with me on this
On LH90 I dont think anyone else other than the LG Best Shop in Marathalli (opposite eZone) has a ready stock (other than display pieces), however they may not come down below 69 k (they quoted me 70k). I was willing to settle for 69k for the LH90 and only because I decided to look for 46/47 model, I didnt finalize there.

I think best 40" TV would be SONY Z550. It is now available for Rs 79K
40W550 is available for 65K and 32w550 for 45K

Sony has now priced their products quite realisticly. 40Z550 is superb and may be available for 69K after 4-5 months. It is 200Hz tv with excellent reviews everywhere:)

pkv,
Do check with Devi on B650 also, they may be able to get you one (40" model) by the month-end (that's what they told me). Note that they also don't have any LH90 either in display or in stock, but they said they may get some 42LH90 stock (against confirmed order) by the month-end (please verify before booking). They have B6000 (40) on display and in stock. So you can check this out, but wont be able to compare it side by side with LH90. Few days back I could do that in Reliance Digital (Cunninghum road) they had both LH90 & B6000 (& B7000) on display. If you want to take a look at the B650, visit Modern World (Domlur) they have one 46 B650 on display.

Between B6000 (40) & LH90 (42) I will surely go for the LH90 and I am sure most forum members including Blasto would concur with me on this
On LH90 I dont think anyone else other than the LG Best Shop in Marathalli (opposite eZone) has a ready stock (other than display pieces), however they may not come down below 69 k (they quoted me 70k). I was willing to settle for 69k for the LH90 and only because I decided to look for 46/47 model, I didnt finalize there.

Thank you Blasto, Saumitra and all other experts who fed me their inputs. I finally went ahead with LH90 from Adishwar Marthahalli. Since they know that no one else has this model they did not come below 70K but gave 50 movie DVD pack. Reliance Digital had quoted 75 K on phone. I might be one of those rare users who follows the web community so much that i bought it without actually seeing it. Yes, no one had it on display ????
BTW i looked at W550 as well using Tata sky and it was really bad so decide not to go with it.
Now i am looking for optimal PQ settings so that i can set it for my viewing pleasure.
Thank you once again..

@Bangalore123
These are new prices offered by SONY world(all cities). Website is still showing old prices.

Sony is finally showing signs of offering "value for money" (not fully though).
I think they have partially come out of the jinx and stopped insane pricing of their products.

Last edited:
I think best 40" TV would be SONY Z550. It is now available for Rs 79K
40W550 is available for 65K and 32w550 for 45K
so that makes the sony Z550A the cheapest true 200hz tv in india ,never expected that and going by the non availabilty of B750,it makes it the only true 200hz lcd tv.

Hi Everybody,
This is one of my first post in this forum.

Right now i am planning to upgrade my TV and I am hence extremely confused. There are a lot o question running through my mind. LCD or Plasma. The second question is to go in for HD Ready or Full HD.

Ok Regarding the technology I have more or less decided on Plasma and my budget is around 80K max. I am unable to find any FULL HD 50 Inches Plasma for that range. I Really liked the S10 but a price of 1.13 Lacs is quite over my budget.

Now my question is should i go for a 42 Inch Full HD or 50 Inch HD Ready.

I basically would watch my Airtel DTH, Quite a few DVD Movies. Also I might think of buying a Blue Ray Player or would surely download FULL HD Movies if the quality is good.

Any Advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
Prasanth Kumar

Now my question is should i go for a 42 Inch Full HD or 50 Inch HD Ready.

Are you asking whether you should go for a 42" HD ready or a 50" Full HD instead? This looks more logical?

The only 50" FHD plasma which was available in the 80k range was the samsung B550. This was excellent value for money because it sells for more than the 50" S1 in the US and UK. No wonder it got sold out in india and samsung removed it from the web page.

42" S1 is a great TV. It is available for ~53-55k. But panasonic has a baseless pring for its 50 inchers. Even a 50" V10 sells for only 15k more than the 50" S1. So a 50" S1 DOES NOT MAKE SENSE in its price range.

A 50" HD ready samsung B450 sells for 57k. Its VFM factor is hard to beat. If your viewing distance is >8 feet, you will not find a marked difference betwen a FHD and HD ready set until you 'want' to see the difference.

Hi Blasto,
Thanks for the advice.

Are you asking whether you should go for a 42" HD ready or a 50" Full HD instead? This looks more logical?

I Actually meant what i said. My Budget seems to be my constraint. So I can either afford a 42'' Full HD or a 50'' HD Ready.

Also My Viewing distance will be around 12-14 feet.

A Few more questions-
Does it make sense to buy a 50'' HD Ready TV.
The Other option would then be to go for probably a 46'' Full HD TV.
And finally what did you mean by "If you want to see the difference"?

Thanks pkv and Bobby76 for your response.

Prasanth and Nanda: do look at the issue I posted in the "Plasma 42?" thread. This will help you narrow down or eliminate your option.

I Actually meant what i said. My Budget seems to be my constraint. So I can either afford a 42'' Full HD or a 50'' HD Ready.

Also My Viewing distance will be around 12-14 feet.

Your viewing distance varrants a 50". 42" will be small.
You won't find ANY difference between a 50" HD ready and FHD set at 12-14 feet.

Does it make sense to buy a 50'' HD Ready TV.
Yes. But you will be able to see a difference compared to FHD if you move <8 feet from the TV.

The Other option would then be to go for probably a 46'' Full HD TV.

Typical 50" HD ready set has 1365*768 pixels as apposed to 1920*1080 pixels of FHD. The pixels of HD ready sets are thus 1.4 times bigger.

In comparison, The Pixels of a 50" FHD TV is much bigger than 1.4 times than the pixels of 42" FHD.

If you do the math, the advantage of having 1080p is minimal.

Where a 1080p set makes a marked difference is when the source is 1080p. This difference is more to do with 1 to 1 mapping of the pixels of a 1080p set to the manipulated image created by the 720p set than the size difference of the the pixel itself.

And finally what did you mean by "If you want to see the difference"?

I meant to say that placebo effect plays a role here. While from >8 feet theoritically you cannot see the difference, some people claim that they can see. But at >12 feet, Iam pretty sure even that is not possible.

Also, If you see the TV with the intent of finding out if the TV is FHD or HD ready from around 8 feet, You might find it. But if you are actually concentrating on the content itself, You will not find a difference.

I bought today Sony 40W550A for Rs64K , as Sony has phased out V,W,Z series, and all there prices has reduced drastically.

I dont think at 64k its a bad model.

Please lemme know if I have taken good model (Will be watching 1o8op movies along with ps3 gaming)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back