Best LCD/PLASMA TVs 40" - 50"

Reviving this thread since its very appropriate to what I am looking for:

Viewing distance around 12-13 feet.
Was interested in the LG 47LH90 but they killed the model and brought in the SL90.
Dont seem to have any options other than the Samsung 46C650L1R since I dont want to go in for any of the edge lit LED LCDs.

Are there any other LCD Tvs available up to Rs. 1L (47'-50') size with the following features?

1. Good PQ
2. Deep black levels
3. Will do for occasional gaming
4. Quite a lot of SD content for my wife (the saas bahu types)

I actually started a new thread before coming across this one and adder recommended sony ex500 or the sammy c650a in the ccfl segment and the sony ex700 in the led segment due to its low response time. (thanks a ton Adder).

Saumitra, Blasto et al ... would love to get ideas from you.

Thanks in advance.

why not get the Panasonic 50V20 Full HD Plasma considering u watch a lot of SD content, it will look great

Thanks for your reply Yogesh but I am not really considering a plasma due to a couple of factors:

1. Ambient lighting in the room with the tv is more causing glare
2. Screen burnin in due to video games
3.I hope I dont get flamed for this but I think that plasma is probably on its way out due to LCD tvs catching up on a lot of areas and some of the leading plasma manufacturers dropping out. No offence to anyone - its just my opinion

However, having said that I will check out the one you mentioned and if it WoWs me then who knows?:eek:

Any idea about indicative prices for the Panasonic 50V20 ?

Hi guyz,

I have just joined in this forum. This is my first post in any thread.

I am inclined to buy a 40 inch TV but cant decide what to get - LCD, LED or Plasma.
My budget is 55-60k max and the purposes are as following:

1. Watch lotsa SD + HD movies
2. Tata sky
3. Can be used with XBOX/PS3 in future or usage as PC monitor (will not be used too
much)

Please guyz suggest the best option for me. I am totally confused so please help me out.

Awaiting your quick responses.
Thanks.

The Panasonic 50V20 should cost anywhere between 100k and 115k.

That sounds a bit expensive compared to the LGs and Samsungs which are in the 60-80k range for 50" PLasmas.
Is the Panny really worth the premium? How are their after sales service?

That sounds a bit expensive compared to the LGs and Samsungs which are in the 60-80k range for 50" PLasmas.
Is the Panny really worth the premium? How are their after sales service?

THe Panasonic 42V20's are avialable @ 62-65k. Its a steal. Go GRAB ONE!

The Panny 42V20 is supposedly damn good, but it's still a 42 inch and costs above 60k! It'll surely not give you the WOW factor of a 50 inch plasma. Yes; the Panny 50 inchers are all crazily priced. And after sales service is horrible with Panny as far as I know. LG's panels are probably not as good as Panny's but their service is far better. Samsung is sort of in between. Lower-priced, supposedly better than LG in some models, and bad service. My experience with Samsung for service regarding our 2 ton split a/c at my parents' place has been pathetic.

---Venkat

The panasonic 50V20 is a full hd tv & hence expensive. available for 100k in Mumbai. Panasonic 50X20 available for 62k.

Leaving aside the argument of whether the human eye can make out the difference between HD and HD ready at the optimal viewing distance for the 50" TV, But arent LG 50PK550 and Samsung 50C550 also Full HD TVs and cost 30-40k less than the same sized Panasonic?

Hi rohitshakti,

I am kind of newbie in this field, but what I have understood based on my re-searching on the net (over the last few weeks) is the fact, this a comparison - totally based on individual needs/requirement. What I mean is, we need to define on what benchmarks we want to compare these two i.e. LCD & Plasma (e.g. to some requirement, Plasma is a better option, whereas to some other need, LCD is best).

In simple words:
(1) Plasma produces better home-theater picture experience
(2) It has deeper black levels and more saturated color
(3) Plasma offers much wider viewing angle
(4) These (plasmas) are generally less expensive compared to a smilar screen size LCD

and also

(5) Plasma consumes relatively more power compared to an LCD of similar size
(6) If you are planning for some sort of PC connectivity/gaming, LCD stands out as a better choice.
(7) Plasma's probably start from 40'' size. So, if you wish to have a smaller screen, you have LCDs only.

I am sure the experts around will provide further insights, but that was my 2 cents. :) Hope it helps.

Thanks for yr help, just to add: Plasma TVs have less life than LCD TVs.

Thanks for yr help, just to add: Plasma TVs have less life than LCD TVs.

Well I dont think thats true any longer. If by "life" you are referring to the panel life, nowadays the lifespan of plasmas goes up to 100000 hours which should be enough for most of us.

Guys, IMHO the panels being bought today either Plasma or LCD/LED will not have a life span of more then 2/3 years for videophiles and max 5 years for casual viewers. The continous evolution in technology will force all users to keep upgrading their sets.

Hence the current life span offered by all manufacturers is good enough for all type of users.

Can anybody tell me how is: Panasonic 42X20D with 1366*768 resolution and is this Plasma TV called HD ready or is it not even HD ready. Price is 34K in Delhi.

Guys, IMHO the panels being bought today either Plasma or LCD/LED will not have a life span of more then 2/3 years for videophiles and max 5 years for casual viewers. The continous evolution in technology will force all users to keep upgrading their sets.

Hence the current life span offered by all manufacturers is good enough for all type of users.

In that case 3 years warranty makes sense :indifferent14:

With regard to panel life,i bet not a single one here in this forum is going to touch those Hrs ,most won't cross 10k hrs.Even before the panel the electronics will fail,gone are days when one could replace a capacitor or a IC in a CRT TV,in flat panel tvs be it plasma/lcd ,they just replace the whole PCB,service centres are there to RMA it not repair it.

Back