Best LCD/PLASMA TVs 40" - 50"

Finally decided to buy 46w550 and went to Adishwar - Jayanagar on saturday 16th Jan, sales persion earlier told me they have 2 pieces in stock (earlier week) confirmed that he didn't stock of these sony models except display pieces and told sony is re-structuring prices and models and introducing new LED models..

but not able to give confirmative reply availability of 46W and 40W after restructering..if forum friends knows availability of them please let me know.

Boyireddy

if forum friends knows availability of them please let me know.
Your best chance for Sony models is Sony World showrooms - there are many in Bangalore - in almost all major areas - since I live in the eastern corner (near Whitefield), I know of the Sony Worlds in - Koramangala, Indiranagar, HBR Layout/ Rammurthy Nagar (on the ring road), Marathalli (outer ring road), Whitefield (inside the Forum Value Mall). Try calling all the Sony Worlds one by one - I am sure you'll get one 46W550.

My SL90 delivery is getting delayed. Though the dealer had promised delivery within this week, he informed me yesterday evening that he is not going to get the new stock from LG (that will include the 47" SL90, he now has only 42" SL90) before the next weekend and he can deliver only by the month-end. It is a painful wait ... Hopefully what I get will be worth the wait ...

Did you get it yet?
Its time you broke his head! :p

No, I still haven't got the 47SL90.
It has been very disappointing - last Friday the sales guy from Devi International (where I booked the SL90 for 94k) called me to inform that there will be further delay in getting the 47" SL90, maybe till mid or end of Feb. I asked him to cancel the booking and refund me the money (I had paid 68.5 k for the 47" Scarlet, got it delivered and then asked them to replace it with SL90) - and he did that promptly - sent someone on Friday evening itself to take the Scarlet back and refund all the money I paid.
Yesterday I spent going around searching for 47SL90 only to find whatever little stock the LG Best Shop, Ezone,... had - is sold out. Nobody has 47SL90 in Banagalore and it would take till mid to end Feb for the next batch ....
42SL90 is still available but I somehow don't want to go below 46/47" anymore. Trying to find a 46/47" model equivalent to (or better than) 47SL90, I auditioned two more models - Sony's 46" X450 and Samsung's LED-backlit 46" B7000 - priced roughy at 1.3 L. Problem is other than these two, I don't find anything comparable and these two are way above my budget (now stretched to 1 L!).
I will most likely be too busy for the next few days (till 10th Feb) at work and may not get any time to search around. Plan to resume my active search again on 11th and see if I can get a 47SL90. If not, I may have to go back to the 47" Scarlet ...
Any suggestions? Do you guys have any recommendation for any other 46/47" model/ brand that is available for 1 L or less?

the SL90 is just a edgeled version,the comparable models are the B6000,B7000 in the edge led segment,they both have quite a lot more contrast then the LG models.
you can also wait for the sony 2010 edge led models.

the SL90 is just a edgeled version,the comparable models are the B6000,B7000 in the edge led segment,they both have quite a lot more contrast then the LG models.
you can also wait for the sony 2010 edge led models.

Well, I tried to explain but acording to saumitra's demo, the SL90 has more contrast. I haven't personally seen this model and could not agree/deny.

Now if you have seen this model, can you confirm it?

Guys...this may be irritatingly repetitive but I'll keep this thread going...

Starting the lookout for a 50 incher. Not sure on the HD Ready vs. Full HD, LCD vs LED vs Plasma aspects.

Budget is - ~80K but I really don't know if this is a good budget

Usage is - Viewing distance around 12 feet. Need a slightly wider viewing angle though most of the viewing would be done head on. Mostly for watching movies (70%) and not so much for SD (30%).

I've gone through this thread and going through others as well. If anybody has any pointers on which TV to look for, what features to consider, price, availability etc. please post here...

:cheers:

I don't think you can get a Full HD 50" plasma for less than 1 L. Panasonic S10 (VIERA TH-P50S10D) is the only FHD 50" model available for close to 1 L (I.18 L was the quote when I last enquired about a month back).
In HD-Ready category, you have quite a few choices from Pana, LG, Samsung. Blasto/ others can surely help with more concrete inputs here.

With this budget, the best deal is Samsung HD-ready plasma 50B450 (57-60K).. but the problem is its availability.. mostly it is out of stock..

also take a look at 46 inch Full HD LCDs.. Samsung 46B530 LCD will cost you around 70K.. or Sony 46V550 around 80K..

Blasto/all,
I have finally decided to give up on my greed for few sqaure inches more of real-estate and settled for the 42LH90.
After the dealer (Devi International, Jayanagar) confirmed that he has got new stock (of 42" only) from LG, I have placed the order, for 68.5 k. Expecting the delivery & installation to happen sometime tomorrow. Now that the SL90 (that I liked so much) is out of the way (next batch is expected not before Feb end, that too no one is certain about the 47" model) and I happen to save a good amount (25.5 k) by settling for the 42LH90 instead, I have managed to convince my wife to let me spend another 20k for a HD source ... I will be buying the PS3 Slim soon. FYI - a Sony dealer told me yesterday that next batch of PS3 Slim 250 GB (which is currently selling for 23k) is going to be priced at par with the current 120 GB model (currently selling for 20k) .

Guys...this may be irritatingly repetitive but I'll keep this thread going...

Starting the lookout for a 50 incher. Not sure on the HD Ready vs. Full HD, LCD vs LED vs Plasma aspects.

Budget is - ~80K but I really don't know if this is a good budget

Usage is - Viewing distance around 12 feet. Need a slightly wider viewing angle though most of the viewing would be done head on. Mostly for watching movies (70%) and not so much for SD (30%).

I've gone through this thread and going through others as well. If anybody has any pointers on which TV to look for, what features to consider, price, availability etc. please post here...

:cheers:

Its really easy to recommend for your requirement.

For 12 feet, HD ready is enough.
If you don't have external light (Mainly doors) opposite to your TV, plasma is the way to go.

For 80k, below are the choices.

Samsung 50" B450 - 57k - Best in class colours, Black level second to X10. Best VFM. Not available in hyderabad, Some have been successful in getting it in bangalore.
Panasonic 50" X10 - 80k - Equally good set. Better black levels, Not so good for SD. Costs the same in US/UK markets. Insanely costly specifically in india @23k more. Readily available.
42" of both the above models cost the same in india!!

LG 47LH90 - 77-80k - Only local dimming LED LCD available in india. 1080p. Very good VFM for the price. Good for highly lit rooms. Not as good as the plasmas in medium lit/dark rooms. Not available in hyderabad.
Samsung 47" B550 - 73k - Overall a great LCD for the price. Nothing strikingly special. Readily available.
Sony 47" V series - 77k - same as above.

Last edited:
Its really easy to recommend for your requirement.

For 12 feet, HD ready is enough.
If you don't have external light (Mainly doors) opposite to your TV, plasma is the way to go.

For 80k, below are the choices.

Samsung 50" B450 - 57k - Best in class colours, Black level second to X10. Best VFM. Not available in hyderabad, Some have been successful in getting it in bangalore.
Panasonic 50" X10 - 80k - Equally good set. Better black levels, Not so good for SD. Costs the same in US/UK markets. Insanely costly specifically in india @23k more. Readily available.
42" of both the above models cost the same in india!!

LG 47LH90 - 77-80k - Only local dimming LED LCD available in india. 1080p. Very good VFM for the price. Good for highly lit rooms. Not as good as the plasmas in medium lit/dark rooms. Not available in hyderabad.
Samsung 47" B550 - 73k - Overall a great LCD for the price. Nothing strikingly special. Readily available.
Sony 47" V series - 77k - same as above.

Hi Blasto,

I am relatively new to this forum. I bought a 50X10 two weeks back for 74,000 in Chennai. It's black levels are excellent, and the main thing is SD content is displayed sharp on this giant screen. I am using Sun Direct. I couldn't believe my eyes when I played downloaded Divx movies through an ordinary divx player. They were so sharp, and from a viewing distance of around 11 - 12 ft they were looking like HD movies!! When I played the same movies in my computer (with LCD 22" monitor) they were not that sharp! And one of the movies I am talking about is a DVD print of the old Mackenna's Gold!

Hi Blasto,

I am relatively new to this forum. I bought a 50X10 two weeks back for 74,000 in Chennai. It's black levels are excellent, and the main thing is SD content is displayed sharp on this giant screen. I am using Sun Direct. I couldn't believe my eyes when I played downloaded Divx movies through an ordinary divx player. They were so sharp, and from a viewing distance of around 11 - 12 ft they were looking like HD movies!! When I played the same movies in my computer (with LCD 22" monitor) they were not that sharp! And one of the movies I am talking about is a DVD print of the old Mackenna's Gold!

Hi Vinnie,
Did you get a chance to compare the X10 with the samsung B450?
I personally have never seen an 50" X10 though a 50" B450 was impressive to the core.

Iam still not convinced about the cost of 50" X10 of 74k. Especially considering the US/UK prices as compared to B450 and that the B450 costs 57k in india. For 42", either of B450 or the X10 is going to impress especially when upgraded from CRT.

Hi Vinnie,
Did you get a chance to compare the X10 with the samsung B450?
I personally have never seen an 50" X10 though a 50" B450 was impressive to the core.

Iam still not convinced about the cost of 50" X10 of 74k. Especially considering the US/UK prices as compared to B450 and that the B450 costs 57k in india. For 42", either of B450 or the X10 is going to impress especially when upgraded from CRT.

No Blasto, I could not compare anything with this TV, as finding a 50" plasma in a showroom itself was an impossible task. In fact I was trying to see an LG plasma 50PQ70BR, as I was very impressed by its features according to their website, but it was nowhere available in Chennai at that time. But then my friends advised me to stick to Panasonic for plasma, and so I went for this one, and no regrets now.

Guys any opinon on LG PDPs? I read Blasto's comparison of LG and Sammy...any idea on these -

50PQ70BR - 50" Plasma TV, 1365X768P Resolution , 2000000:1 Contrast Ratio, 600Hz, USB 2.0, Bluetooth (Approx 60K)
50PQ60R - 50" Frameless Plasma TV, 1024X768P Resolution , 2000000:1 Contrast Ratio, 600Hz, USB 2.0 (approx 58K)
50PQ30R - 50" Plasma TV, 1365X768P Resolution , 2000000:1 Contrast Ratio, 600Hz, USB 2.0 (approx 55K)

...there are a couple of threads alive on the topic of 50in PDP/HDR vs FHD etc. etc. so hopefully I have chosen the right thread to post

Guys any opinon on LG PDPs? I read Blasto's comparison of LG and Sammy...any idea on these -

50PQ70BR - 50" Plasma TV, 1365X768P Resolution , 2000000:1 Contrast Ratio, 600Hz, USB 2.0, Bluetooth (Approx 60K)
50PQ60R - 50" Frameless Plasma TV, 1024X768P Resolution , 2000000:1 Contrast Ratio, 600Hz, USB 2.0 (approx 58K)
50PQ30R - 50" Plasma TV, 1365X768P Resolution , 2000000:1 Contrast Ratio, 600Hz, USB 2.0 (approx 55K)

...there are a couple of threads alive on the topic of 50in PDP/HDR vs FHD etc. etc. so hopefully I have chosen the right thread to post

As a person who had both the LG PQ60 and Samsung B450 in my living room, I recommend B450 for the picture quality and SD handling.

PQ60 is good VFM. But does not have the PQ of B450 which costs ~57k.

Between the LGs, get the PQ30 and a good USB DVD player for the extra 3k. The USB movie playback in LG is a gimmick. You cannot adjust picture settings in the USB mode.

If you find the samsung 50B450 in stock, get it.

Edit:
Also, Temporary IR in LG is prominent. It is almost absent in the samsung.

Last edited:
hey thanx for the info blasto...what do you mean by 'Temoporary IR'???

TIR = Temporary Image Retention.

If you are viewing a fixed image for a long time (eg: black top and bottom bars in 16:9 content in 4:3 mode), the TV can retain the image when you change channels or switch off the TV. This can happen with any phospor based displays including CRTs. How a TV handles that can be roughly equivalent to the maturity of the TV. The older gen CRTs had them and they are done with in the newer sets. Plasmas from panasonic and samsung does not have them entirely.

As for LGs, They still have them and is visible without much effort. Ghost image of Black bars and channel logs are visible for around 10-15mins after the TV is switched off. Not a problem for many but when a TV from competitor is available at the same price range and when we have a choice, we can avoid.

I have noticed it only when the TV is switched off. But people have mentioned seeing the ghost image of one channel logo in another soon after a channel change in light backgrounds (and gradually dissapears). This is capable of making someone mad!

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back