Best LCD/PLASMA TVs 40" - 50"

There is a small twist in the tale just before my new Scarlet was to be wall-mounted by the LG technician yesterday afternoon I noticed, rather realized that this particular LG model (unlike all the other LG LCD models I checked LH90, LH60, LH50, SL90, ) doesnt have any side port all are at the rear. I somehow missed checking on this in the showroom, but remembered to ask the salesman about it just before making the payment and he said yes, Scarlet had 2 ports (HDMI & USB) at the side. After using 32 Samsung LCD for last 3.5 years, I was very particular about having at least these two (HDMI & USB) ports at the side as I found w/o these it was a real pain to connect your camcorders, DVD/ portable players, USB HDDs etc. as and when you need it. Extremely upset with myself on missing this small but important thing while choosing this model and also with the salesman for giving me wrong info, I called up the salesman and told him about this admitted my mistake on not noticing this and mentioned that I assumed whatever he said was correct . The salesman was nice and immediately admitted that it was his mistake and that he would arrange for any other available model and het this replaced. It was a pleasant surprise as I was not expecting the salesman to offer a replacement w/o any argument etc. I know this is very common in the US, but in India, not many dealers would easily agree to replace a LCD TV after it has been delivered and unpacked.

So I went back to the dealer in the evening and asked him about 4 models:
Samsung LA46B650 he checked again and told me it is unlikely that he would be able to arrange one for me even if I wait for 1 month as Samsung is planning to launch their new LCD models soon (March/April)
Sony 46 W series (dont remember the model no.) available, final price 110 k
Samsung UA46B6000 he said he didnt have 46 model in stock but can arrange one soon final price 96 k
LG 47SL90 again he had only the 42 model in stock, but said can arrange the 47 one final price 95 k

After deliberating for a while and trying out both models (40 B6000 & 42 SL90 that were in display) with DTH, DVD & Blu-ray, we (me & wife) settled for the SL90.
Closed the deal for 47SL90 at 94k. Expecting the delivery today evening. I suppose I am the only & the very first 'fool' in this forum to have booked the SL90.

There is a small twist in the tale just before my new Scarlet was to be wall-mounted by the LG technician yesterday afternoon I noticed, rather realized that this particular LG model (unlike all the other LG LCD models I checked LH90, LH60, LH50, SL90, ) doesnt have any side port all are at the rear. I somehow missed checking on this in the showroom, but remembered to ask the salesman about it just before making the payment and he said yes, Scarlet had 2 ports (HDMI & USB) at the side. After using 32 Samsung LCD for last 3.5 years, I was very particular about having at least these two (HDMI & USB) ports at the side as I found w/o these it was a real pain to connect your camcorders, DVD/ portable players, USB HDDs etc. as and when you need it. Extremely upset with myself on missing this small but important thing while choosing this model and also with the salesman for giving me wrong info, I called up the salesman and told him about this admitted my mistake on not noticing this and mentioned that I assumed whatever he said was correct . The salesman was nice and immediately admitted that it was his mistake and that he would arrange for any other available model and het this replaced. It was a pleasant surprise as I was not expecting the salesman to offer a replacement w/o any argument etc. I know this is very common in the US, but in India, not many dealers would easily agree to replace a LCD TV after it has been delivered and unpacked.

Samsung LA46B650 he checked again and told me it is unlikely that he would be able to arrange one for me even if I wait for 1 month as Samsung is planning to launch their new LCD models soon (March/April)
Samsung UA46B6000 he said he didnt have 46 model in stock but can arrange one soon final price 96 k
LG 47SL90 again he had only the 42 model in stock, but said can arrange the 47 one final price 95 k

After deliberating for a while and trying out both models (40 B6000 & 42 SL90 that were in display) with DTH, DVD & Blu-ray, we (me & wife) settled for the SL90.
Closed the deal for 47SL90 at 94k. Expecting the delivery today evening. I suppose I am the only & the very first 'fool' in this forum to have booked the SL90.

Kindly do post a detailed review of the SL90 once you have spend time with it

Hello Saumitra, Blasto & other experts,

I have been very closely following this thread from last couple of weeks because I Plan to buy 40/42' LCD/Plasma TV. I looked at many other threads in the forum and found this one most suitable for my needs and also felt it had lot of good research shared by users.
I am inclined towards Sammy/LG/Panny models however want to go for model offering best VFM. Budget is upto 40 - 60K and Plasma/LCD both are fine for me. I can even stretch budget as well. My usage is going to be mostly cable TV through STB and DVD movies as of now but would like to be future proof. I am asking this question explicitly because though this thread started with 40-50', later it focussed more on 47' so i missed the inputs on 40/42 inch. I rely a lot on Internet research & user feedbacks because i know i cannot test everything in the showroom due to lot of constraints so look forward to all of your inputs to make the decision.

I am surely not as knowledgable as Blasto/ other members of this forum. But for your need I think you should really be considering the below models only (listing only the full HD capable models):
LG 42LH90 - best among the available LCDs/LED backlit LCDs - should get it for 68 k, but may not be available for long - please visit the LG Best Shoppe near Marathalli Outer ring road (opposite Innovative multiplex) or Relianace Digital (Cunningham road) Or Devi International (Jayanagar 1st block) and if you like it book it immediately

Panasonic G10 42" Plasma - I believe this is the best available 42" FHD Plasma model in India - price <= 68k, best place to buy from is Modern World, Domlur

LG Scarlet 42" - should get it for less than 60k, good buy, but will suit you only if want to have it table-top & not wall-mounted (since it doesn't have any side ports)

Samsung LA40B550 - should get it for 60 k

LG Jazz 42LH60 - about 60 k

If you want to stretch your budget further (> 70k), you can consider:
Samsung UA40B6000 (LED backlit)
Sony W series 40"

Last edited:

:clapping:
Great.. Happy you settled for the SL90 and dumped the scarlet.. I personally dont like the TV with a hole.. ;) (Now that you no longer own it :D )
Give us the review..

Within LEDs, SL90 is second generation while the B6000 is first gen.. I think samsung is not willing to bring down the price of the B6000 because of the initial advertised price and the owner who will be unhappy if they did that.. Or else it is much lesser value when compared to the SL90..

The Only LCD I reviewws on LG is the LH90 and it was great. Hope LG did the same thing with the SL90.. :licklips: Yours will be first review of the SL90 I suppose.. Keep it eloborate..

How I wish the 47" LH90 was available.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hello Saumitra, Blasto & other experts,

I have been very closely following this thread from last couple of weeks because I Plan to buy 40/42' LCD/Plasma TV. I looked at many other threads in the forum and found this one most suitable for my needs and also felt it had lot of good research shared by users.
I am inclined towards Sammy/LG/Panny models however want to go for model offering best VFM. Budget is upto 40 - 60K and Plasma/LCD both are fine for me. I can even stretch budget as well. My usage is going to be mostly cable TV through STB and DVD movies as of now but would like to be future proof. I am asking this question explicitly because though this thread started with 40-50', later it focussed more on 47' so i missed the inputs on 40/42 inch. I rely a lot on Internet research & user feedbacks because i know i cannot test everything in the showroom due to lot of constraints so look forward to all of your inputs to make the decision.

If you do not have any particular aversion towards the Plasma TVs and are watching SD or non 1080p content most of the time, Have a look at the plasmas. Also note that plasmas look bad in showroom lighting conditions because of excessive ambient light in the showrooms. In room lighting, they excel.

TV contrast can be attained in two ways.. The easy way and the hard way..

The easy way is to increase the brightness and thereby increasing the difference between white and black parts of the screen.

The Hard way is to bring down the blackest colour that can be produced thereby increasing the difference between white and black parts of the screen.

The LEDs do the easy way and Plasmas do the hard way leaving few exceptions. The problem is, In home environment, If you have high brightness, you cannot enjoy the picture. Here is where black levels come to picture. Even in dark/Night environment, plasmas perform better.

The LCD/LEDs which have comparable (even less) black level to plasmas are atleast 1.5 to 2 times costly which makes the plasmas excellent VFM.

Another issue with plasmas is the glare issue. The anti glare filters in recent plasmas prevent them and I for one see no glare at home. Models like Panasonic X10 and Samsung B430/B450 have this filter and the indian version atleast is effective. (Some people in US are not happy).

If you don't believe me, Find one owner who owns a plasma TV in this forum and is NOT happy.

I am surely not as knowledgable as Blasto/ other members of this forum. But for your need I think you should really be considering the below models only (listing only the full HD capable models):
LG 42LH90 - best among the available LCDs/LED backlit LCDs - should get it for 68 k, but may not be available for long - please visit the LG Best Shoppe near Marathalli Outer ring road (opposite Innovative multiplex) or Relianace Digital (Cunningham road) Or Devi International (Jayanagar 1st block) and if you like it book it immediately

Panasonic G10 42" Plasma - I believe this is the best available 42" FHD Plasma model in India - price <= 68k, best place to buy from is Modern World, Domlur

LG Scarlet 42" - should get it for less than 60k, good buy, but will suit you only if want to have it table-top & not wall-mounted (since it doesn't have any side ports)

Sony W series 40"

IMHO no need to stretch your budget to buy Samsung or Sony as they will only give you brand name. Besides no major features which you should spend a dime more then you are willing to pay for LG. LG if true VFM.

Sony W series 40"

In LG itself you have suggested all the 3 models. Which one is best among them in terms of PQ. I have heard from few people (This could be just perception) that LG Panels are inferior to Samsung/Sony. How correct is this sentence and does that mean In that case should i consider Sony/Samsung only. If i am spending close to 65K, i am do not mind spending another 5-10% any buy something really worthy.
Between Pany G10 model and LG LH90 model which one is better as they both carry same price tag if we compare them side by side.
Samsung has 6 series models which comes with Ethernet (Complete future proof as they can download firmware updates, new features etc..)..Any thoughts about that. I know that costs around 90K but is it really worth..

If you do not have any particular aversion towards the Plasma TVs and are watching SD or non 1080p content most of the time, Have a look at the plasmas. Also note that plasmas look bad in showroom lighting conditions because of excessive ambient light in the showrooms. In room lighting, they excel.

TV contrast can be attained in two ways.. The easy way and the hard way..

The easy way is to increase the brightness and thereby increasing the difference between white and black parts of the screen.

The Hard way is to bring down the blackest colour that can be produced thereby increasing the difference between white and black parts of the screen.

The LEDs do the easy way and Plasmas do the hard way leaving few exceptions. The problem is, In home environment, If you have high brightness, you cannot enjoy the picture. Here is where black levels come to picture. Even in dark/Night environment, plasmas perform better.

The LCD/LEDs which have comparable (even less) black level to plasmas are atleast 1.5 to 2 times costly which makes the plasmas excellent VFM.

Another issue with plasmas is the glare issue. The anti glare filters in recent plasmas prevent them and I for one see no glare at home. Models like Panasonic X10 and Samsung B430/B450 have this filter and the indian version atleast is effective. (Some people in US are not happy).

If you don't believe me, Find one owner who owns a plasma TV in this forum and is NOT happy.

I am little inclined to LCD just because of its availability but if i find Plasma with better features in lower price range, i would consider that as well. Which Plasma models are best in the price range of 60K.

In LG itself you have suggested all the 3 models. Which one is best among them in terms of PQ. I have heard from few people (This could be just perception) that LG Panels are inferior to Samsung/Sony. How correct is this sentence and does that mean In that case should i consider Sony/Samsung only. If i am spending close to 65K, i am do not mind spending another 5-10% any buy something really worthy.
You are 100% correct. Stick with samsung/sony. (Samsung is more VFM).

Between Pany G10 model and LG LH90 model which one is better as they both carry same price tag if we compare them side by side.
G10 will better in nights & Evening and LH90 will be better in the mornings & Noon.
G10 is a 12th generation plasma and LH90 is a first generation local dimming LED.
I will still buy the LH90 is the prices are same. LH90 is an exception compared to LG LCDs.

Samsung has 6 series models which comes with Ethernet (Complete future proof as they can download firmware updates, new features etc..)..Any thoughts about that. I know that costs around 90K but is it really worth..

Are you talking 'bout 7 series?

IMHO no need to stretch your budget to buy Samsung or Sony as they will only give you brand name. Besides no major features which you should spend a dime more then you are willing to pay for LG. LG if true VFM.

I have heard that SamSung/Sony uses better quality panel than LG from Croma guys.

You are 100% correct. Stick with samsung/sony. (Samsung is more VFM).

G10 will better in nights & Evening and LH90 will be better in the mornings & Noon.
G10 is a 12th generation plasma and LH90 is a first generation local dimming LED.
I will still buy the LH90 is the prices are same. LH90 is an exception compared to LG LCDs.

This means LG LH90 is exceptionally better TV in comparison to all the models which are being discussed (Panny/Sansung/Scarlet/Jazz/Sony W) and i should check if it is available ????

Are you talking 'bout 7 series?
Some of Samsung 650 series LCD models and yes 7 series LED model as well have Ethernet

It may be true that Samsung/Sony LCD panels are marginally better than LG in terms of PQ. But one shouldnt go by this as a general rule/conclusion if LH90 is one exception that beats comparably priced/spec-ed Samsung/ Sony TVs, it is worth comparing other LG models against the Samsungs & Sonys. Picture quality should be the main criteria on selecting a TV, but the associated useful features (e.g. USB movie/ music playback) also can be compelling depending on your usage pattern. While most experts would say as Blasto said (about the PQ of Samsung/Sony LCD panels vs. LG panels), the same experts also say that when it comes to - input lag issue/ response-time, colour accuracy (& not depth/ black-level) and also audio output/clarity these are much better handled in LG models. In fact after using a Samsung 32 LCD for 3.5 years and also while audition-ing several currently available Samsung LCD & LED models, I can say that in terms of input lag (very important for gamers!) and audio output (very important for general cable/DTH viewing), Samsung models are the worst of the lot.

Consider this:
Sony W series LCD 46 is priced at 1.1 L, it doesnt have USB even to play images (forget video/movies)
Sony X series LED 46 is priced at 1.25 L, it has USB ports that can only show images
Samsung 6 series LED (UA46B6000) is priced at 95-100 k, it has USB ports that can read only USB flash-drive, but not HDD

In comparison:
LG Scarlet & Jazz are priced lesser than Samsung 5 series LCDs (LAxxB550) & of course much lesser than Sony W series, but has much better features and equally good (if not better) PQ (compared to Samsung 5 series)
The new LG LED (SL90), but has more features (can read both USB flash-drive & HDD, has blue-tooth) & better PQ than the Samsung 6 series LED (may be debatable, but this is what I have SEEN), but still priced lesser

The point I am trying to make is if you are considering both PQ & VFM it will not be wise to believe Samsung & Sony are always better.

For 40/42 LCD, I suggest you consider only LG 42LH90 and Samsung LA40B650. Both are difficult to get, but I know at least one place which still has 42LH90. I tried but couldnt get a LA46B650 (& 47LH90) you can check if the LA40B650 is available somewhere. B650 is the only Samsung model, though costlier than LG models (LH90, Scarlet, Jazz), that can actually match or even beat (with its Wireless/net connectivity options, inbuilt 2 GB storage, USB movie playback of almost all video formats including mkv) all other models.

It may be true that Samsung/Sony LCD panels are marginally better than LG in terms of PQ. But one shouldnt go by this as a general rule/conclusion if LH90 is one exception that beats comparably priced/spec-ed Samsung/ Sony TVs, it is worth comparing other LG models against the Samsungs & Sonys. Picture quality should be the main criteria on selecting a TV, but the associated useful features (e.g. USB movie/ music playback) also can be compelling depending on your usage pattern. While most experts would say as Blasto said (about the PQ of Samsung/Sony LCD panels vs. LG panels), the same experts also say that when it comes to - input lag issue/ response-time, colour accuracy (& not depth/ black-level) and also audio output/clarity these are much better handled in LG models. In fact after using a Samsung 32 LCD for 3.5 years and also while audition-ing several currently available Samsung LCD & LED models, I can say that in terms of input lag (very important for gamers!) and audio output (very important for general cable/DTH viewing), Samsung models are the worst of the lot.

Consider this:
Sony W series LCD 46 is priced at 1.1 L, it doesnt have USB even to play images (forget video/movies)
Sony X series LED 46 is priced at 1.25 L, it has USB ports that can only show images
Samsung 6 series LED (UA46B6000) is priced at 95-100 k, it has USB ports that can read only USB flash-drive, but not HDD

In comparison:
LG Scarlet & Jazz are priced lesser than Samsung 5 series LCDs (LAxxB550) & of course much lesser than Sony W series, but has much better features and equally good (if not better) PQ (compared to Samsung 5 series)
The new LG LED (SL90), but has more features (can read both USB flash-drive & HDD, has blue-tooth) & better PQ than the Samsung 6 series LED (may be debatable, but this is what I have SEEN), but still priced lesser

The point I am trying to make is if you are considering both PQ & VFM it will not be wise to believe Samsung & Sony are always better.

For 40/42 LCD, I suggest you consider only LG 42LH90 and Samsung LA40B650. Both are difficult to get, but I know at least one place which still has 42LH90. I tried but couldnt get a LA46B650 (& 47LH90) you can check if the LA40B650 is available somewhere. B650 is the only Samsung model, though costlier than LG models (LH90, Scarlet, Jazz), that can actually match or even beat (with its Wireless/net connectivity options, inbuilt 2 GB storage, USB movie playback of almost all video formats including mkv) all other models.

Thank you for brining out other features where LG beat Sam/sony. Samsung 6 series models availability is really poor and in LCD i have mostly seen 5 series only. Specifications wise i loved B650. If you look at its equivalent model they have youtube as well which in my opinion should work in India if they upgrade the firmware. If available i guess its price should be in range of 70K only. Spec wise this should be superior than LG (Ethernet connectivity Part) ??? I assume its 100Hz true motion is as effective as LH 200Hz. Do you see it missing any feature which LH90 has ??

LH90 is available at couple of places (eZone Mrth. & Reliance Digital) but they quoted the price of 71 and 75K respectively. On some other threads i found that people have been able to get price of 62K in BOM and 68K with freebies in BLR couple of months back so i expect now i should be able to get in 60K. Let me know if you came across any store which offers competitive price on this.

This is a shop called R.K.Vision in Khanna Market. No exchange. With bill & warranty. Sony guy came and installed the TV as well. I wasn't even considering Sony, but I thought the deal was pretty good, so here I am!!

(Now all I need is speaker mounts and a subwoofer and I can get my HT up and running!!)

Consider this:

In comparison:

If you include VFM, There is none to beat the LG. But do you think people here ask questions about VFM at all? Everyone (including you) ask which is better in PQ and the answer is not LG.

If you place all the LG LCDs of the past 4 years side by side and view them, You will see an almost same picture in all the TVs. The only distinguishing feature will be the features of the TV itself. LG keeps adding features to the LCDs without addressing the main drawbacks of the panel itself. I don't know how people get used to it, but I am able to see a white glow from the screen in dark seens in the night. I for one cannot live with it. :indifferent14:

If you think about it, all the deficiencies in the samsung/sony (like usb playback, speakers etc) can be fixed by external equipment. LG have the issue with the panels and you got to stick to it for the entire life.

Iam not against LG or something (I own an LG plasma). Just that if all that we discuss is PQ, Black levels, colour accuracy etc, LG comes behind samsung and sony!

If we are talking about VFM, then it is up to individuals.. Also, there need not be any questions asked :D .. All features are listed in the website for everyone to see..

If we are talking about comparative VFM (ie features in expense of PQ at a price range), then too it is upto the individuals to decide.. Some may find LG LCDs slightly inferior but some may find it hard to live with.. Iam just saying that 'I' would not mind paying a little extra for the comparatively priced samsung/sony. LG has not done improvements to the panel itself and all R&D are concenterated to the features which is arguably an acceptable business tactic. Where they failed is, for good or bad, their 4 year old LCD (the then best Xcanvas studio) has almost same PQ as yesteryears' while the competition has moved ahead in the game.

If you include VFM, There is none to beat the LG. But do you think people here ask questions about VFM at all? Everyone (including you) ask which is better in PQ and the answer is not LG.

If you place all the LG LCDs of the past 4 years side by side and view them, You will see an almost same picture in all the TVs. The only distinguishing feature will be the features of the TV itself. LG keeps adding features to the LCDs without addressing the main drawbacks of the panel itself. I don't know how people get used to it, but I am able to see a white glow from the screen in dark seens in the night. I for one cannot live with it.

If you think about it, all the deficiencies in the samsung/sony (like usb playback, speakers etc) can be fixed by external equipment. LG have the issue with the panels and you got to stick to it for the entire life.

Iam not against LG or something (I own an LG plasma). Just that if all that we discuss is PQ, Black levels, colour accuracy etc, LG comes behind samsung and sony!

If we are talking about VFM, then it is up to individuals.. Also, there need not be any questions asked .. All features are listed in the website for everyone to see..

If we are talking about comparative VFM (ie features in expense of PQ at a price range), then too it is upto the individuals to decide.. Some may find LG LCDs slightly inferior but some may find it hard to live with.. Iam just saying that 'I' would not mind paying a little extra for the comparatively priced samsung/sony. LG has not done improvements to the panel itself and all R&D are concenterated to the features which is arguably an acceptable business tactic. Where they failed is, for good or bad, their 4 year old LCD (the then best Xcanvas studio) has almost same PQ as yesteryears' while the competition has moved ahead in the game.

Blasto,
I think we both are saying the same thing (PQ only vs. PQ+VFM) - it's just that you have too strong an opinion for Samsung and against LG while I have a strong opinion against Samsung and for any other brand.
I remember you yourself had recommended Samsung PS50B550 plasma which was about 40-50k cheaper than Pana V10 and surely that was because of the VFM & not really because you think PQ of Samsung plasma B550 was better than Pana V10. It is the same point I am trying put across here while comparing LG vs. Samsung LCDs.

pkv,
If you get the LA40B650, you should take that ahead of 40LH90.
FYI - Marathalli LG best shoppe had quoted me 70k for 42LH90 and I am sure you can bring it down to 68k. You can try the Jayanagar Devi showroom also for both B650 & LH90 to get the best quote in Bangalore.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back