Panasonic P42X20D/X10D Owners Thread (Settings, Problems, Impressions, Questions)

i see that the x20 dont have optical out..so how to connect it to the home theatre system??

Thanks junkmail. It showed 4 hrs usage of 4 hrs and 20 times switched on for my 2 days old tv ( damn the bangalore power supply ).

Now, do we need any UPS/surge protector for this?

How to connect x20 to home theatre as it doesnt have optical out..any comments?

I am sure you should be able to connect using component audio (White and Red) using RCA connectors. Obviously you cannot get the 5.1, it is rather for 2.1. And can be played in multi-station mode wherein you get the same audio on the rear speakers as well.

So we cannot get true 5.1 sound from the blu ray rips?
I am sure you should be able to connect using component audio (White and Red) using RCA connectors. Obviously you cannot get the 5.1, it is rather for 2.1. And can be played in multi-station mode wherein you get the same audio on the rear speakers as well.

Can any X20 owner please post some pictures (taken in a dark room) of the TV displaying dark scene so that we can have some idea of the black level performance of this TV???
Thanks

So we cannot get true 5.1 sound from the blu ray rips?

dmann > Since X20 doesnt have a USB input I am assuming you are using a media player to play the br-rips. Hence, simply connect the media player to the AVR using either a HDMI or Optical to get the 5.1 out of the Br-rips.

dmann > Since X20 doesnt have a USB input I am assuming you are using a media player to play the br-rips. Hence, simply connect the media player to the AVR using either a HDMI or Optical to get the 5.1 out of the Br-rips.

thanks infinity for your reply..i will be buying this tv and a new media player(havent decided which one yet) in a few days.thats why wanted to confirm everything.
thanks again.

Can any X20 owner please post some pictures (taken in a dark room) of the TV displaying dark scene so that we can have some idea of the black level performance of this TV???
Thanks

i am at home for diwali now. so will be able to post pic after 4-5 days. inbetween i had already checked the black level in dark room. the tv dont disappear in dark. on cinema mode Contrast level @ 50, brightness @ 0(scale -50 to +50), Colour @ 50 and Sharpness @50 a complete black image will look like b450 in this thread and not like v20.

http://www.hifivision.com/television/12294-panasonic-v20-black-levels-illustrated.html#post169676

if u want me to check at some other pic settings tell me.

Ok since there are a lot of new X20 owners I feel this is the right place to ask this question, namely
What is the total weight of new X20 (including box)?? I am asking because I might have to transport the TV by air so I want to know the exact weight. LG plasmas are out of the question since every other LG plasma owner seems to have had some kind of quality issues with theirs (though it must be mentioned that LG provided prompt and hassle-free replacement). So I wouldn't want to risk transporting an already delicate LG plasma.
Now if only X20 owners could post some pictures including some taken in a dark room so that we could have a look at the black levels for ourselves.

the gross weight of x20 is around 29.5 or 30 kg. i need to check the carton again. as domestic airlines dont permit this much then u can play a trick. for eg ur airline permits x kg for checked-in and y kg for cabin then while doing check-in tell them that u dont have a cabin bag and they will allow you x+y kg for checked-in baggage. then u can carry ur cabin bag as usual :lol: . it had worked for me and my frns.

i am at home for diwali now. so will be able to post pic after 4-5 days. inbetween i had already checked the black level in dark room. the tv dont disappear in dark. on cinema mode Contrast level @ 50, brightness @ 0(scale -50 to +50), Colour @ 50 and Sharpness @50 a complete black image will look like b450 in this thread and not like v20.

http://www.hifivision.com/television/12294-panasonic-v20-black-levels-illustrated.html#post169676

if u want me to check at some other pic settings tell me.

the gross weight of x20 is around 29.5 or 30 kg. i need to check the carton again. as domestic airlines dont permit this much then u can play a trick. for eg ur airline permits x kg for checked-in and y kg for cabin then while doing check-in tell them that u dont have a cabin bag and they will allow you x+y kg for checked-in baggage. then u can carry ur cabin bag as usual :lol: . it had worked for me and my frns.

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to seeing the pictures you have taken as and when you get time to post them. So you are saying that X20 also gives a slightly bluish black when viewed in the dark? In any case it's still very good VFM. About the weight please confirm from the carton and let me know because the Pana website just gives weight of TV with stand. As for the airlines, I don't mind paying that little extra for excess baggage. Only thing is that plasmas supposedly cannot be laid flat while transporting... right??? If that is true then it would be quite a task getting the ground crew to handle the carton in the upright position.

i too became a proud owner of the x20d today and my initial impressions are that it is just wow...watched normal cable tv and played a little on my xbox and the picture is absolutely amazing.
the panasonic guys told me that there is no need to set the contrast or brightness lower even for the initial period as there is no problems in these tvs..so i am going by there advise or sholud i take some precautions.
should i play on my xbox for long periods i.e 3-4 hours continously?
p.s. bought it for 36.5k.

http://www.hifivision.com/television/13452-one-week-my-new-lg-42ld460-4.html#post189505

After going through the threads i have zeroed on x20d and i am going for a demo tomorrow, but this post is making me think....

Sir. why you are needlessly taking tension over such things? Just buy it... he is comparing with a V20 which is top of the line Panasonic plasma. Do you have V20 in the next room? Is your Neighbour having a V20?? Is any one in your neighbourhood having V20??? Unless you are going to be constantly comparing the two TVs together, you will be more than happy with your purchase.

Sir. why you are needlessly taking tension over such things? Just buy it... he is comparing with a V20 which is top of the line Panasonic plasma. Do you have V20 in the next room? Is your Neighbour having a V20?? Is any one in your neighbourhood having V20??? Unless you are going to be constantly comparing the two TVs together, you will be more than happy with your purchase.

That's right.
Nonetheless, as I mentioned I will not buy this TV because I can afford another 10k+ for a better TV.

Shredder, A good observation I would say..

The V20 is kind of a villian.. The moment I saw it, I WANTED to upgrade by B450. :(

Iam sure the others will feel the same. Such is the black level performance, atention to detail, overall picture presentation in highly lit showrooms etc. If there is one plasma which outshone all LCDs in the showroom, it was the V20. The reflectivity of the screen was so mild that it is negligible. Whilst you can see your face on the X20 screen in showroom conditions, this V20 displayed only absolute stunning picture!

I came out sad rather than mighty impressed. Unable to own the beauty. To my wife, anything of the same size of the TV is not an upgrade! And I cannot currently spent >1L on a 50" V20. :(

A good TV the X20 is, cannot stand in front of the V20. If panasonic pulls up an younger brother of V20 with same characteristics with 720p, it will be a killer from cost vs performance perspective. If wishes were horses..

Tried taking a picture of the X20 in no light condition. Thanks to my horrible camera skills, the picture might not impress you. But still have a look at it:

Settings:

Contrast: 35
Brightness: 0
Color: 40
Sharpness: 50

Attachments

• X20D.jpg
    X20D.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 165
Thanks for the reply. I look forward to seeing the pictures you have taken as and when you get time to post them. So you are saying that X20 also gives a slightly bluish black when viewed in the dark? In any case it's still very good VFM. About the weight please confirm from the carton and let me know because the Pana website just gives weight of TV with stand. As for the airlines, I don't mind paying that little extra for excess baggage. Only thing is that plasmas supposedly cannot be laid flat while transporting... right??? If that is true then it would be quite a task getting the ground crew to handle the carton in the upright position.

Shredder - Just checked the carton and its written 29kgs. The wall mount comes separately packed and should be another 2 kgs at least.

Regarding laying it flat....it very clearly says in the carton as "Caution = Not to be laid flat" along with a diagram with a "X" signage on laying in flat. There are enough markings to ensure no one lays it flat....signages , arrows also included. Dont think you should have an issue there, however, our airlane baggage handlers are laymen and are never careful. You would need to tag it as fragile / glass inside / upright (with arrow) in HUUUUGGGEEEEE letters and inform 10000 times at check in. Consider options of baggage insureance also if you need the peace of mind.

Cant comment on the bulish black as its still in the carton - delivered today. Will get installed tomoro :clapping:

i too became a proud owner of the x20d today and my initial impressions are that it is just wow...watched normal cable tv and played a little on my xbox and the picture is absolutely amazing.
the panasonic guys told me that there is no need to set the contrast or brightness lower even for the initial period as there is no problems in these tvs..so i am going by there advise or sholud i take some precautions.
should i play on my xbox for long periods i.e 3-4 hours continously?
p.s. bought it for 36.5k.

Congrats dmann on ur purchase :clapping:

I also became a proud owner of X20D :eek:hyeah: TV got delivered an hr ago. Cant wait for the pana guys to come and install tomoro :rolleyes:

I would advise you to avoid gaming usage for the first 100 / 150 hrs. Although, Pana claims no possibility of IR even with extensive static usage, to me its better safe than sorry for the first 100 / 150 hrs of break-in.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back