Panasonic P42X20D/X10D Owners Thread (Settings, Problems, Impressions, Questions)

Congrats dmann on ur purchase :clapping:

I also became a proud owner of X20D :eek:hyeah: TV got delivered an hr ago. Cant wait for the pana guys to come and install tomoro :rolleyes:

Congrats to you too infinty.its a beauty indeed.
I have two queries now
First is whether to use it for long hours for xbox or not and how to go about in the initial period.
Second is can i use a belkin surge protector which is like a power strip and have four plug inputs to connect various appliances to connect x20 and my xbox?
looking forward for some help coz i have just one plug and have to connect several things.

Tried taking a picture of the X20 in no light condition. Thanks to my horrible camera skills, the picture might not impress you. But still have a look at it:

Settings:

Contrast: 35
Brightness: 0
Color: 40
Sharpness: 50

Thanks anyway. I know this is a lot to ask but can you post more pics?:)

Congrats to you too infinty.its a beauty indeed.
I have two queries now
First is whether to use it for long hours for xbox or not and how to go about in the initial period.
Second is can i use a belkin surge protector which is like a power strip and have four plug inputs to connect various appliances to connect x20 and my xbox?
looking forward for some help coz i have just one plug and have to connect several things.

Thanks dmann.
1. Avoid gaming during the first 100 / 150 hrs as in case if you are distracted due to something ( if u get a phonecall, someone ringing the door bell, etc etc) and if you leave the TV with static game image on the TV...you may see some temp IR....something that can really irritate as its a new TV after all. Post break in period...you can use it for as much gaming you want and for as long as you want :clapping:. The idea is to ensure that the phosphors age properly during the break in to perform at its best during the rest of the life of the TV. There has been a lot of theories reg the need for break in period - my take is that its only for 100/ 150 hrs which goes in a jiffy...so why not be patient and enjoy the "Peace of Mind" :lol: Regarding how to go about the break in.... check post#6 by neoonwheel in this thread.

2. You CAN use the Belkin, however, not sure of the availibility of the spare fuse (in-case it has one) in the event it burns out due to a power surge. Remember, power strips cut out the supply in event of a surge...some of the reputed ones like Belkin etc does a good job, but not as good if you experience very extreme power surges in your locality. I would sugest a good voltage stabilizer instead, with an adequate capacity to handle all your audio video and gaming components together. You can connect any spike to the stabilizer and connect all your equiptment together. I am myself planning to get one asap..have not yet narrowed down to any specific one yet.

Last edited:
Sir. why you are needlessly taking tension over such things? Just buy it... he is comparing with a V20 which is top of the line Panasonic plasma. Do you have V20 in the next room? Is your Neighbour having a V20?? Is any one in your neighbourhood having V20??? Unless you are going to be constantly comparing the two TVs together, you will be more than happy with your purchase.

Well put...:clapping: now no tension... Going to buy it, went for a demo today and loved it...

Thanks dmann.
1. Avoid gaming during the first 100 / 150 hrs as in case if you are distracted due to something ( if u get a phonecall, someone ringing the door bell, etc etc) and if you leave the TV with static game image on the TV...you may see some temp IR....something that can really irritate as its a new TV after all. Post break in period...you can use it for as much gaming you want and for as long as you want :clapping:. The idea is to ensure that the phosphors age properly during the break in to perform at its best during the rest of the life of the TV. There has been a lot of theories reg the need for break in period - my take is that its only for 100/ 150 hrs which goes in a jiffy...so why not be patient and enjoy the "Peace of Mind" :lol: Regarding how to go about the break in.... check post#6 by neoonwheel in this thread.

2. You CAN use the Belkin, however, not sure of the availibility of the spare fuse (in-case it has one) in the event it burns out due to a power surge. Remember, power strips cut out the supply in event of a surge...some of the reputed ones like Belkin etc does a good job, but not as good if you experience very extreme power surges in your locality. I would sugest a good voltage stabilizer instead, with an adequate capacity to handle all your audio video and gaming components together. You can connect any spike to the stabilizer and connect all your equiptment together. I am myself planning to get one asap..have not yet narrowed down to any specific one yet.

ya i will try and resist the temptation of playing xbox for the initial period.will watch some movies insted:lol:
no there are not extreme power surges in my area..i think the belkin surge protector will do just fine..i will buy the one with 6 outputs and connect the x20d and xbox and my home theatre system to it.
i just want to confirm if all of these things will work normally and fine when connected together to the belkin 6 way protector?
i am also considering a ups?how will a ups fare in this situation?
it has the advantage of providing some backp too which is helpful while gaming.
what are your views?

Hi friends,

As told earlier, I had bought X20D a few days back and had run the break in slides for the first 150 hrs.

After that I saw some full screen movies on it and it was awsome viewing it on this TV.

Now I hv put in my regular cable wire in it. But I am getting a slight problem with it and it is that most of the time, I am getting vibrations in my TV like the way we get when we are using our PC and our mobile rings. But it is not showing any vibrations if i am using DVD or my PC. Earlier I was think it could be due to voltage fluctuation but it is not showing in my regular 29" TV and then for that I also put my TV on the UPS but it is still there.

I think the current coming from the cable wire is causing it.

Is there any way to correct it?

ya i will try and resist the temptation of playing xbox for the initial period.will watch some movies insted:lol:
no there are not extreme power surges in my area..i think the belkin surge protector will do just fine..i will buy the one with 6 outputs and connect the x20d and xbox and my home theatre system to it.
i just want to confirm if all of these things will work normally and fine when connected together to the belkin 6 way protector?
i am also considering a ups?how will a ups fare in this situation?
it has the advantage of providing some backp too which is helpful while gaming.
what are your views?

The Belkin 6 way surge will work fine.
UPS will be a very good option to have, however, an expensive one. There are various UPS available which output either square wave, pseudo sine wave and sine waves ( the best and expensive ones) check carefully before buying. Point to note is that a UPS is essential must have for a Projector - allowing it to shut down normally in case of a power outage, but, for a Plasma, AVR, Media player and BR player, a Voltage Stabilizer will just do fine. Remember - add up all the max power ratings for the individual units to be used and multiply by at least 1.5 to decide on the capacity of the stabilizer.

For Gaming...yes - a UPS rocks !!!

Hi folks,
Me too buying a 42 " x20d panny from panasonic brand shop Goa, Panaji. Dealer promised a Benetton watch and Sun glasses in exchange offer of my 21 inch CRT, for 40000/-
He was talking about connecting a digital stabiliser for 2500/- extra cost.
My question is, is it necessary to buy a digital stabilizer? I have a normal stabilizer which i used for my 21 " CRT.(can i use the same for my panny 42 " x20d.
What else is necessary for me before finalizing the installation and after it. The Dealer is sending the piece by tomorrow morning.
Will keep updated on my purchase along with pics.
Last but not the least, thanks to all who have helped me finalize the panny x20d.

Hi friends,

As told earlier, I had bought X20D a few days back and had run the break in slides for the first 150 hrs.

After that I saw some full screen movies on it and it was awsome viewing it on this TV.

Now I hv put in my regular cable wire in it. But I am getting a slight problem with it and it is that most of the time, I am getting vibrations in my TV like the way we get when we are using our PC and our mobile rings. But it is not showing any vibrations if i am using DVD or my PC. Earlier I was think it could be due to voltage fluctuation but it is not showing in my regular 29" TV and then for that I also put my TV on the UPS but it is still there.

I think the current coming from the cable wire is causing it.

Is there any way to correct it?

You mean the TV's speakers are crackling?? Call up your cable wallah and tell him to rectify the problem. If he starts making excuses and delaying then just go in for a set top box (preferably HD) from TATA SKY.

The current passing through cable wires is usually very mild. Test it by doing the following: lick the metal tip with your tongue.

Hi folks,
Me too buying a 42 " x20d panny from panasonic brand shop Goa, Panaji. Dealer promised a Benetton watch and Sun glasses in exchange offer of my 21 inch CRT, for 40000/-
He was talking about connecting a digital stabiliser for 2500/- extra cost.
My question is, is it necessary to buy a digital stabilizer? I have a normal stabilizer which i used for my 21 " CRT.(can i use the same for my panny 42 " x20d.
What else is necessary for me before finalizing the installation and after it. The Dealer is sending the piece by tomorrow morning.
Will keep updated on my purchase along with pics.
Last but not the least, thanks to all who have helped me finalize the panny x20d.

Mahesh...congrats on your purchase !!! :clapping:
You can use either a digital or analog (regular) satbilizer. The imp thing is to make sure that the stabilizer has a wide surge range handling capability and is capable of handling at least 1.5 times the max power capacity of the TV or all items passed through the stabilizer.
For 40k under exchange pls try and ask the Pana brand shop guys to include the stabilizer as well.

Mahesh...congrats on your purchase !!! :clapping:
You can use either a digital or analog (regular) satbilizer. The imp thing is to make sure that the stabilizer has a wide surge range handling capability and is capable of handling at least 1.5 times the max power capacity of the TV or all items passed through the stabilizer.
For 40k under exchange pls try and ask the Pana brand shop guys to include the stabilizer as well.

Thanks mate.
I will check my analog stablizer range, but as far including digital stablizer is concerned i donts think the dealer will do it in the the price quoted, anyways i will ask.
I will keep updated, i am looking out for a table with back mounting for my panny. furniture person has quoted from Rs 4000/-, lets see.

The Panny X20D should be available for 35K easily with exchange of 21" CRT. People have been buying it for lesser. Negotiate or try another reasonable dealer.

The watch+sunglass offer is from Panasonic irrespective of any exchange. You should get it with the TV irrespective of the price.

The Panny X20D should be available for 35K easily with exchange of 21" CRT. People have been buying it for lesser. Negotiate or try another reasonable dealer.

The watch+sunglass offer is from Panasonic irrespective of any exchange. You should get it with the TV irrespective of the price.

This is a sad story in Goa, unlike banglore, mumbai and delhi the electronics price market is higher here.
The Times of India Goa edition had the ad on paper as Rs. 38490/- in lieu of 29" CRT, so, 40000/- for 21 " CRT.

My panny has arrived @ home, saw some sd content and am satisfied with the quality i saw, long live Hfivision for having created a fantastic platform for non geeks like us. and thanks to all who made it easy for me in choosing x20d, great value. :clapping:
will keep updated.

My panny is sept 2010 make, made in thailand piece. seemed very new, checked mounting screws holes and all everything seemed OK. have not checked the usage hrs, i am little afraid to do that.:D

In my hunt for a new and first flat panel,i have narrowed down to the Panasonic 42A20D and Samsung PS42C450.They are priced at 36k and 42k respectively here in Chennai and i have had a demo on both and they are equally good.One big advantage with the Panasonic's is the slightly brighter display and 3yr warranty on the panel compared to 1yr on the Samsung.But Samsung looks better,has USB input and extra component-in(2)Moreover i cant figure out the DCR(all it says is mega DCR) on the sammy and response time on the Panny.Is there any major difference feature wise between them both?

I need to take a call by this friday for sure.:sos:

In my hunt for a new and first flat panel,i have narrowed down to the Panasonic 42A20D and Samsung PS42C450.They are priced at 36k and 42k respectively here in Chennai and i have had a demo on both and they are equally good.One big advantage with the Panasonic's is the slightly brighter display and 3yr warranty on the panel compared to 1yr on the Samsung.But Samsung looks better,has USB input and extra component-in(2)Moreover i cant figure out the DCR(all it says is mega DCR) on the sammy and response time on the Panny.Is there any major difference feature wise between them both?

In my opinion the Pana is a better choice and I would advise you to go for the X series than the A series. The only difference is the front speakers in A series which is not worth the extra $$.

Did the same!!Bought the X20D today, seemed seal wasn't tampered with, Dealer gave the option to pick any piece from the stock.I haven't checked the usage of the unit.Should I do it when the come for installation and demonstration? What is the acceptable usage time of new unit?

It is better for the installation guy to show the usage time. i too need know the acceptable usage time.

Even I was in the same dilemma...the samsung looks stunning compared to the dull looks of the Panny. Picture wise i found both to be the same. Another advantage with the samsung was that it plays almost all video formats i had with me without any fuss through its USB port.

However, ended up with the Panny because of the 3 yr warranty. I miss the USB playability in the panny sorely.

Infinity,m8002-Thanks for your inputs.One thing thats really a factor thats bothering me is the USB port in Samsung.Its way to common nowadays to watch movie rips through USB either in a computer or TV as we do not have much access to Blurays in India still.I will loose this option with the panny.

How is Samsung's reputation with their plasma TV's?I hope they dont trouble you after the warranty period of 1 yr.

from here

meanwhile if any of u guys are leaning towards samsung c450 then tell me i have got quotes of 39.9k which are further negotiable atleast 1k. the thing is that few members here have recommended c450 over X series specially for SD content(normal DTH/cable). plus it has capability of playing almost all movie formats through USB and diwali offer of Airtel HD DTH is worth considering. i have discussed this with BLASTO (thanks BLAST-o ) and he has also recommend the same.

i finally went for x20 as for 32.5k it was more VFM then c450 at 39k

pros of x20 over c450
3 yr warranty

pros of c450 over x20
big++ - all formats through USB
airtel digital tv (HD one)
slightly better PQ(IMO)
better looks

as an alternative to USB play feature of c450 you can use a media player which is around 6-7k here in india and 4k if someone can bring from US. not sure whether c450 is able to decode DD-DTS from USB or not(can anyone comment)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back