Panasonic P42X20D/X10D Owners Thread (Settings, Problems, Impressions, Questions)

After going thru different post i have decided on x20D and i have booked for it today.From your experience please advise on the settings for the first 100/150 hrs.Also any other precautionary measures needed to be taken if any.

Congrats junkmail159 !!! Have been using the TV for a week now and the experience is just awesome :clapping:. enjoy your new TV !!!

@ raptorhertz - Its apt to say that its "advisable" to get a dedicated stabilizer for your expensive AV products as we really dont want to be at the mercy of our irregular voltage fluctuations. A steady voltage will safeguard your TV and provide you with peace of mind.

@ whaaz - Check post # 6 in this thread and the break in details are already provided. I have used the same for a week now...however, did see some 2.35:1 format rips and absolutely no temp IR even with Contrast @ 50. I would still strongly advise to go through the 100 / 150 hrs break in.

@ sam_k - I would not be able to comment on the Samsung plasma as I have not used one. Based on the various demos I took and my thoughts...the Samsung costs more that the Panny....so you can invest that money to buy a media player like WDTV - which will play ALL formats, is upgradable, and gives you far far far better options and capabilities than a USB compatibility options in the TV. I have a WDTV so its was an easy choice for me. Panny's 3 yr warranty over Samsung's 1 year is an unbeatable offer. Hence, my suggestion would be to get the X20 and invest 5k for the WDTV. Saw Apocalypto and Cast Away again..both 1080p DTS through WDTV - HDMI with zoom level 1 ...it just blew me away !!!

plasma/lcd not affected by ext magnetic fields, so shielding is not necessary

@ sam_k - I would not be able to comment on the Samsung plasma as I have not used one. Based on the various demos I took and my thoughts...the Samsung costs more that the Panny....so you can invest that money to buy a media player like WDTV - which will play ALL formats, is upgradable, and gives you far far far better options and capabilities than a USB compatibility options in the TV. I have a WDTV so its was an easy choice for me. Panny's 3 yr warranty over Samsung's 1 year is an unbeatable offer. Hence, my suggestion would be to get the X20 and invest 5k for the WDTV. Saw Apocalypto and Cast Away again..both 1080p DTS through WDTV - HDMI with zoom level 1 ...it just blew me away !!!

Infinity-Thanks for your valuable comments.I realize the same with regard to Samsungs pricing and the WDTV player.However my main concern is Panasonics degrading black issues in 09/08 models and have no idea about how good/bad their customer service backup is!On the other hand most of our home appliances(ac,fridge,m/w,washer,mobiles) are all samsungs and their ASS has been very reasonable as in i didnt have to run from pillar to post to avail services..hence my consideration for Samsung.Moreover wifey feels samsung has better PQ and looks good as well:argue:

Ok-the deal is done..will be getting the Panny-42A20 delivered on Sunday :yahoo:.I had to make a choice by this evening and this is it!The 42X20 is not in stock and if booked will take atleast 10 more days to deliver.Not willing to wait that long and the 3 year warranty is too good to miss(vs the Samsung's 1yr).I had locked the Diwali special offer price of 36.5K by making a down payment of Rs5000/- at NEXT outlet,Chennai on Sunday last.will pay the balance while picking up the unit.

I need to get a decent HDMI cable now!any suggestions?

The 42A20D has arrived and i set it up myself on a stand and is up and running.:yahoo:.I have used the composite out from BIG TV DTH nad the PQ is unreal..infact its too good even for SD content.Will try out the DVD player tonight and give you guys the feedback.Im so happy with it that i treated a stray doggy to some cookies:)
My settings are as follows

1. View mode-Normal
  2. Color-51(default)
  3. Contrast-51
  4. Sharpness-54
  5. Eco mode-ON
  6. 3D-Mid

I have hooked up the Component but cant seem to get the audio output...please HELP!!:sad:.Also i dont see the 3 yr warranty part mentioned in the warrany card.Do i have to follow it up or something?

Last edited:
Go to the showroom and ask them about 3 years warranty crd. They wil lgive you additional 2 years warranty card which you need to post to Panasonic office. One copy remains with you while you courier the other one.

X20 owners:
How does one access the service menu on the X20D?
Further, if one is going to pick up the display from the shop, is there any problem in checking it then and there? Will it cause the TV to behave abnormally that the salesman/ owner will accuse you of messing with the set??
Lastly, what is the acceptable usage hours on a brand new X20? I understand that even on new sets the usage hours is not going to be at 0hrs.

Thanks in advance.

1. Press Vol down button on the TV (Not on remote). Keep it pressed and then:
2. Press recall button on remote 3 times
3. Service menu will appear, now dont press any remote button.
4. The usage and TV on button count appears on the right down corner
5. Press "Exit" button on the remote to come out of the service menu

My TV as of now shows 80 hrs, I checked it when it was 3 weeks old for which it was showing around 51 hrs while my manual count was around 49 hrs.

Panasonic P42X20D/X10D - Hotel Mode

I had people at home turning up the contrast way up during the break in period. I wanted to disable the menu button and searched. Found out that there was a hotel mode where you can disable it.
To turn on hotel mode: Hold down the Vol down button on the TV and press the AV button on remote 3 times
In the menu that appears, turn on Hotel mode and you can set the power up input/channel, max volume, disable remote/buttons on the TV.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO DISABLE THE REMOTE OR SIDE PANEL BUTTONS ALTOGEHTER

Got a TH - 42A20D delivered today. Got it for a good deal 41500/- net from Panasonic Brand Shop near Manipal Centre Bangalore.
I would definitely recommend this TV to people looking for VFM.
No pixelation noticed while playing Hathway Cable Set Top Box content. So I'm very happy. :)
Played a few HD content like Avatar (720p) , The Dark Knight (1080p) and Kung Fu Panda (1080p). Avatar and Kung Fu Panda looked amazing. While satisfied with Dark Knight. Depends on the source also. So I guess the TV is doing nothing wrong.

After reading the whole thread, I've decided to keep the contrast around 50 ( currently 80 ) till 200 hrs.

Thnx everyone for all the info provided.

Friends : Here are the good to do things and points to observe during taking delivery and installation. This will serve as a checklist for all members who are about to be proud owners of the wonderful Panasonic 42X20D.

Delivery :
1. Ensure carton is not damaged in any way.
2. Make sure you take a snap of any visible damage to carton just to be safe and mention on the delivery note while signing.
3. Usually the delivery folks will call you prior to coming to your house, to check if you are availale at home or for directions...its a good thing to check while they offload the carton from the van to ensure it was kept upright and not on the side while travelling.
4. There is a clear tape - about 4-5" thick running through the top of the carton and about 6 inches down from the edge, ends with a clean serrated edge (should not have tamper marks)
5. Make sure you retain the customer copy of the Invoice.

Installation :
1. TV comes completely wrapped in a semi-transparent cover...with 6 thick gauge thermocol padding for protection.
2. There are plastic wrapping seals running through the panel edges which are further taped on the 4 corners using a 3" x 1" blue tape. Panasonic sticker with features and model no. is on the top left corner.
3. The manual, warranty, power cord, remote and 2 batteries comes in sealed pouch.
4. The stand comes in a sealed plastic. In which there is a sealed pouch containing the screws and the 2 base rods.
5. Match the serial number on the carton , invoice and back of the TV.
6. Check for any spec of dust or wipe scratches on all surface of the TV.
7. Check mounting screw holes for any visible usage.
8. Check the usage time of the TV - neoonwheels have already mentioned the process above..mine showed 02 mins and 01 time switched on.
9. Make sure wall mounting kit is delivered and sealed. Its about 2.5 feet long by 6" wide for the 42" model.

Other Notes :
1. Warranty inside the box is 1 year. Make sure to ask for the extended warranty form for 2 years at the time of purchase.Some shops may not give till delivery, so insist them to send it along with delivery. Fill details and post the company copy to Panasonic, otherwise the +2yrs warranty becomes invalid !!!
2. Wall mounting / installation is free for the first time and wall mounting can be availed within 30 days from delivery. This is also different for different shops. Make sure to check in case you need to do cabling / preparation etc for wall mount later and go ahead with desktop arrangement temporarily. Wall mounting cost is approx Rs.800 - Rs.1000 if done again, or post the 30days free period.
3. Its advisable to maintain a max 50 contrast setting during initial 100/150 hrs of break-in period. Also, try and avoid horizontal / vertical bars, channel logos for prolonged viewing during this time...use the zoom setting to ensure this.
4. Its advisable to use a voltage stabilizer, especially in areas where there are frequent power cuts or irregular voltage.

i have a small issue with my x20, if anyone can help. when using tata sky dth connected through composite cable on AV1, the contrast of tv automatically decreases after exactly 5 minutes if i dont press any button on tv remote in this time(like screensaver). on pressing any button on tv remote it reverts to normal. i have checked all settings but unable to find one.

the user manual says "contrast will automatically decrease after some time in some cases like if there is no signal".

Last edited:
4. There is a clear tape - about 4-5" thick running through the top of the carton and about 6 inches down from the edge, ends with a clean serrated edge (should not have tamper marks)
Installation :
1. TV comes completely wrapped in a semi-transparent cover...with 6 thick gauge thermocol padding for protection.
2. There are plastic wrapping seals running through the panel edges which are further taped on the 4 corners using a 3" x 1" blue tape. Panasonic sticker with features and model no. is on the top left corner.
3. The manual, warranty, power cord, remote and 2 batteries comes in sealed pouch.
4. The stand comes in a sealed plastic. In which there is a sealed pouch containing the screws and the 2 base rods.
1. Mine had everything mentioned above but the sticker of features on top left corner,yet to locate the warranty card that comes with TV, Is it in the manual or it is seperate?

Raptorhertz - The 1 year warranty card comes with the manual. The extended 2 years card you would need to collect from the dealer.

i have a small issue with my x20, if anyone can help. when using tata sky dth connected through composite cable on AV1, the contrast of tv automatically decreases after exactly 5 minutes if i dont press any button on tv remote in this time(like screensaver). on pressing any button on tv remote it reverts to normal. i have checked all settings but unable to find one.

the user manual says "contrast will automatically decrease after some time in some cases like if there is no signal".

Junkmail159 - Here are the things to check :
1. Check the composite cable, at times if its defective / loose, TV fails to detect continuous connection...this is a rare scenario as it would most probably also result in signal black out / flicker...but nevertheless worth checking.

2. Swith on Eco Mode and see if this still persists. If it does, then you need to get it checked by service technician....if it doesnt, there may have been a settings change in service menu (hotel mode) to enable timeout for lower contrast. best to get it checked by a service technician.

3. Contrast also decreased automatically if a static image is detected for > 5 mins, I remember reading this in the manual, not sure..will check and update.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back