Panasonic V20 Owners Thread (Settings, Problems, Impressions, Questions)

That is definitely not the problem. For the last few years, all the Ethernet Ports supplied have a feature called "Auto-MIDX", which means the port will automatically configure itself depending on the cable and the device it is connected to.

Naimesh's laptop OS is a vista, would that be a factor, plus it would mean it would be a few years old.

Naimesh's laptop OS is a vista, would that be a factor, plus it would mean it would be a few years old.

In Vista, one should run the Media Server as "Run as Administrator" (Right click on the Media Server exe to see this option).

I too have 2007 Laptop with Vista, but I use the Tversity and Servioo with run as administrator permissions.

Sorry if my answer is out of context.

@naimesh: I am able to connect my media player and laptop using a simple LAN cable. Probably these steps may help you. Configure your TV and laptop network as follows:

Right click the laptop network adapter and select 'Properties'> Click 'Internet Protocol Version 4' > Properties > Select 'Use the following address':

IP address - 192.168.2.1
Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0

In your TV set the configurations manually.
IP - 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

You will also need to share drives or folders in your laptop. Right click the drive or folder > Properties > Sharing > Click 'Advanced Sharing' > Select 'Share This folder' > Permissions > Add > Type 'Everyone'.

Similarly set the security settings also for 'Everyone'.

Thanks a lot for your replies friends..really valuable inputs..
Today I am able to connect my laptop to TV via LAN cable(cat5)straight to TV..
and was able to at least recognize ps3 media server on TV..catch was I have set gateway and DNS settings, which I deleted and it was done..but thats it..
I still get message of file not supported..not related with file size..I played 300mb avi to m2ts and mp4 and mkv..etc..
mp4 files were directly not recognized while 1 GB mkv of 3 idiots was recognized but did not progress beyond censor certificate..40gb 3 idiots BRRIP in form of m2ts was recognized but not loaded..
only file I was able to play were mp3(easily) and recording of AR Rahman concert in avi with buffering(like youtube videos).
I have k lite codec pack installed..and still files are not supported..
Is cat5 cable(supporting at least 1MBPS in my broadband)
I can say definitely that we can connect TV and Laptop directly. no router needed..
but don't know where I am stuck up...
@Baiju I did exactly same today(although without reading your post)
@satan, I have added firewall exception..
@Sud its 2.5 years old Laptop but i read on microsoft site about how we can share media..but in my case it was not working..In fact disabling them worked..
Again thanks a lot for your input..

Thanks a lot for your replies friends..really valuable inputs..
Today I am able to connect my laptop to TV via LAN cable(cat5)straight to TV..
and was able to at least recognize ps3 media server on TV..catch was I have set gateway and DNS settings, which I deleted and it was done..but thats it..
I still get message of file not supported..not related with file size..I played 300mb avi to m2ts and mp4 and mkv..etc..
mp4 files were directly not recognized while 1 GB mkv of 3 idiots was recognized but did not progress beyond censor certificate..40gb 3 idiots BRRIP in form of m2ts was recognized but not loaded..
only file I was able to play were mp3(easily) and recording of AR Rahman concert in avi with buffering(like youtube videos).
I can say definitely that we can connect TV and Laptop directly. no router needed..
@Baiju I did exactly same today(although without reading your post)
@satan, I have added firewall exception..
@Sud its 2.5 years old Laptop but i read on microsoft site about how we can share media..but in my case it was not working..In fact disabling them worked..
Again thanks a lot for your input..

When you are using TV's media player DIVX HD is the max you can play - no mkv - whatever way you access the file - via DLNA /USB or SD card. If using DLNA remember that the xx media server is only a SERVER not a PLAYER. So no matter what you isntall on your laptop, as this TV does not support mkv, it will not be playable using TVs media player.

You will have to convert your mkv to divx /divx HD and then access this file using DLNA/USB/SD card.

Last edited:
Re: Tweaks/Settings for SD channels.

Are there any preferred settings/tweaks to watch SD channels on P50V20D? The SD channel experience is not good, on reliance HD STB.

Please advice.
I think it varies with channel to channel..I have Airtel digital TV (no idea about reliance tv) and Sony and colours etc look fantastic( as per SD standard, not comparing to HD)
I use true cinema mode ..50,50, 0, 50, gamma 2.2 and rest according to kittu settings..
tried Blasto LED settings, good but green was washed out(cricket grounds were white washed)
tried kittu settings in pro mode, good for HD, but facial colours and cour reproduction was fantastic in true cinema mode..
Try them and let me know..

Those settings are for initial viewing, later you can change to the THX certified settings mentioned on D-nice thread.

Game mode is really nice for sports. :clapping:

I think it varies with channel to channel..I have Airtel digital TV (no idea about reliance tv) and Sony and colours etc look fantastic( as per SD standard, not comparing to HD)
I use true cinema mode ..50,50, 0, 50, gamma 2.2 and rest according to kittu settings..
tried Blasto LED settings, good but green was washed out(cricket grounds were white washed)
tried kittu settings in pro mode, good for HD, but facial colours and cour reproduction was fantastic in true cinema mode..
Try them and let me know..

Currently using Game mode with 75 contrast for daytime and 50 for night. Helps a bit in 50hz motion resolution.
Photo mode with Normal/Cool is nice too..
Other modes are all too yellow for me coming from samsung.. Need eloborate white adjustments.

Iam done with all the breakin and stuff.. Not doing any now..

When you are using TV's media player DIVX HD is the max you can play - no mkv - whatever way you access the file - via DLNA /USB or SD card. If using DLNA remember that the xx media server is only a SERVER not a PLAYER. So no matter what you isntall on your laptop, as this TV does not support mkv, it will not be playable using TVs media player.

You will have to convert your mkv to divx /divx HD and then access this file using DLNA/USB/SD card.

Actually that isn't exactly right. DLNA Servers can be of different types. There are some that offer nothing more than direct file access to whatever client is connecting to them. So it is up to the client to have the necessary codecs to play whatever file it accesses. All the processing is done by the client.

The other type of DLNA Media Server (like PS3 Media Server) gives the client (in this case the TV) direct access to files that it can play natively (needs to be configured based on what file formats the client can play natively) and transcodes the file formats that it cannot play by itself.

Since the Panasonic (or even a PS3 for that matter) cannot play MKV's natively, PS3 Media Server will transcode them to a format that the client can play. All the processing is done on the fly on your computer.

Naimesh, normally PS3 Media Server requires no additional configuration. I have been using it for a long time and it plays almost everything that I throw at it. You might need to play around with your settings a bit (Transcoding Tab).

I have successfully played all the formats you have mentioned through PS3 Media Server on my VT20 (MP4, MKV, M2TS).

Last edited:
Actually that isn't exactly right. DLNA Servers can be of different types. There are some that offer nothing more than direct file access to whatever client is connecting to them. So it is up to the client to have the necessary codecs to play whatever file it accesses. All the processing is done by the client.

The other type of DLNA Media Server (like PS3 Media Server) gives the client (in this case the TV) direct access to files that it can play natively (needs to be configured based on what file formats the client can play natively) and transcodes the file formats that it cannot play by itself.

Since the Panasonic (or even a PS3 for that matter) cannot play MKV's natively, PS3 Media Server will transcode them to a format that the client can play. All the processing is done on the fly on your computer.

Naimesh, normally PS3 Media Server requires no additional configuration. I have been using it for a long time and it plays almost everything that I throw at it. You might need to play around with your settings a bit (Transcoding Tab).

I have successfully played all the formats you have mentioned on my VT20 (MP4, MKV, M2TS).

The only problem I faced when watching MKV file transcoding, is the fastforward doesn't work properly (some times it hangs forever) for some files.

Currently using Game mode with 75 contrast for daytime and 50 for night. Helps a bit in 50hz motion resolution.
Photo mode with Normal/Cool is nice too..
Other modes are all too yellow for me coming from samsung.. Need eloborate white adjustments.

Iam done with all the breakin and stuff.. Not doing any now..

Aspect Ratio and Zoom Changes are not available in Game Mode. How do you manage Black Bar Content?

LOL... got tired of breaking the TV in? It's such a pain when all you want to do is just enjoy a nice movie. :lol:

sd images..
DropBox

Last edited:

Aspect Ratio and Zoom Changes are not available in Game Mode. How do you manage Black Bar Content?

Not watching much black bar content.. :D
My watching tend towards programs which do not have continuity. No mega serials and stuff.. No SD basically.

LOL... got tired of breaking the TV in? It's such a pain when all you want to do is just enjoy a nice movie. :lol:

You never know my frustration.. :eek:hyeah:

This is the second plasma and all the procedures all over again!! I dont even see a difference.. Burn in is personally only 'theory' for me as of now.. Something you are afraid without reason. I have not seen a samsung or panasonic plasma with a burn in..

Two days back , I closely observed the panasonic plasma TVs installed in our office for any signs of retention. I have been seeing them undergo all sorts of misuse for the past 4 years and on top of that it has 4 year old technology. SD channels with black bars and channel logos all through the day.. Still Nothing from viewing distance, nothing from close observation..

Come what may, I am gonna use mine like a normal TV. If anything we'll get proof of some retention. (Iam not recommending this to anyone though. ;) )

Well finally I can post on this thread as the latest owner of the 50VT20 PDP. Got mine billed earlier this evening for the now world famous NCR deal and got the panel at a fantastic price of 65,956/- in addition to all the freebies same as other guys who bought from the EOK counter.

Had also ordered the Buffalo WiFi router and repeater from the link provided by Blasto and the same came in yesterday @1199/- It is now available at 1299/- so saved 1K there too.

The store did not have stock of either the keyboard or the Tata Sky+ HD PVR vouchers, so every thing less the keyboard, the wall mount and the additional pair of 3D glasses will be delivered tomorrow i.e the panel and the voucher.

That is it for now folks and a big thank you to avmaxfan & naimesh. I had missed out on you guys earlier in my 'post of thanks'.

The stock count as personally checked by me stands at 7 units after my pdp was billed. This is at the regional level.

Had also ordered the Buffalo WiFi router and repeater from the link provided by Blasto and the same came in yesterday @1199/- It is now available at 1299/- so saved 1K there too.

:D
Relax and take a sip of water and become less excited.. :eek:hyeah:
It is not 1k you saved.. ;)

Got mine billed earlier this evening for the now world famous NCR deal and got the panel at a fantastic price of 65,956/- in addition to all the freebies same as other guys who bought from the EOK counter.

@Kittu.. You get an underperformed this time.. :D

@Shaq.. Are you listening??

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back