Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

I need a quick recommendation though , what is the ideal height for wall mounting 55 inch tv.
Generally you try to mount in such a way that you dont have pull your chin up to watch the TV. Mount it at your eye level while sitting in front of your Tv. However, this is not always possible due various home constraints.

Hey guys, been a lurker for quite sometime. Finally managed to go through all the pages of this thread.

I'm looking for a 4K 55inch TV and had my heart set on the Toshiba U5050. But seems like U7980 is much better and my budget is around 50k so I can afford the latter.

I'll be using the TV for OTT content consumption and casual console gaming.

Is the input lag so bad that this TV can't be used for casual gaming as well? Also, is there any other better option or should I go with the U7980?

Any kind of help will be highly appreciated.
Hey guys, can anyone please help me?

Hey guys, can anyone please help me?
Since your budget is 50k you should go with u7980. However, you will need a fireTv stick or some streaming device for good experience in OTT (according to FM's the OS is not that great and has several issues with ott apps). This Tv is more than enough for casual gaming.

Since your budget is 50k you should go with u7980. However, you will need a fireTv stick or some streaming device for good experience in OTT (according to FM's the OS is not that great and has several issues with ott apps). This Tv is more than enough for casual gaming.
Thank you for your reply.

I already have a MI Box. I won't mind spending some more money on Firestick as well.

Never seen this issue in my 3 months usage of 65inch U7980 model
I have seen those lines during my first week, only the vertical lines in bottom. Later I found out that the lines will disappear if I press that back button and fully closing it after opening picture menu. Now a days these lines does not come even I do not close picture menu.

My remote batteries are dead within 30 days, is this normal? Anyways these Batteries are from unknown brand, still....

Last edited:
Hey, never wanted to read this one but this is clearly a common defect called out in YouTube reviews for the 65 inchers of u7980. Im assuming it's more of a software rendering thing as it's happening with menu for all. Can 55 incher guys confirm. Video at 3:00 for issue
For 55 inch only Vertical line in bottom may appear if picture menu is not closed properly.

I was actually answering this one for my above post.

Hi Folks,

I have kind of zeroed on u79 model for a 65 inch under 75k tv. My usage is OTT content for now (firestick) and maybe casual gaming in future (probably will buy the Xbox). Also will be buying a soundbar system (under 50k) so not bothered much on the in built speakers. I would like to have as long waranty as possible so was planning to buy the u79 with the flipkart waranty (extra 5k). Hopefully support is decent here in Bangalore.

I am no expert in this field so just looking for confirmation on the decision?

Should I be considering any other model or stretching my budget bit more. Do things like 120hz, earc, hdmi 2.1 matter for my usage? Would u80 be a significant improvement over u79?

A off Topic question. RD has 55inch U7980 that can delivered to my friends place in Mumbai. How would I go about getting it delivered to my city Nagpur using a courier service and which should I use?

Tbh you guys take too much of a risk for a panel thats already 2 years old. Wait for the ces2021 lineup and indian manufacturing to pickup to bring local availability up. Who will cover the damage if courier damages the tv in transit? How will you replace the panel if there's a defect? Im seriously tempted to buy this too but without a demo, 50k is too much change to handle for me personally.

Tbh you guys take too much of a risk for a panel thats already 2 years old. Wait for the ces2021 lineup and indian manufacturing to pickup to bring local availability up. Who will cover the damage if courier damages the tv in transit? How will you replace the panel if there's a defect? Im seriously tempted to buy this too but without a demo, 50k is too much change to handle for me personally.
The CES 21 lineup will take until July-August to completely launch and until October-November to be at a good price to buy. Also, in 2021 TVs are supposed to get very expensive. LG is supposed to bring the 1000-nit OLED which should be around 50% more expensive at least, Samsung is also going to get much more expensive with mini-LEDs (with Quantum neo branding). Sony has always been overpriced in India.

By that time, I'd have enjoyed 1 year of content on this TV which is worth more than 38k to me (that's what the TV cost to me)

The CES 21 lineup will take until July-August to completely launch and until October-November to be at a good price to buy. Also, in 2021 TVs are supposed to get very expensive. LG is supposed to bring the 1000-nit OLED which should be around 50% more expensive at least, Samsung is also going to get much more expensive with mini-LEDs (with Quantum neo branding). Sony has always been overpriced in India.

By that time, I'd have enjoyed 1 year of content on this TV which is worth more than 38k to me (that's what the TV cost to me)
38k I'd buy it w/o a blink too tbh :(

guys please help me I'm confused with Toshiba u79 55" model and redmis 55inch qled and sonys x7400h

my doubts are can I improve the picture quality by re calibration as I've seen from many picz I believe this TV's colours look unnatural , what tempts me is the 56 local dimmimg zones on this TV which does is real dimming unlike the micro dimming gimmick told by redmi , but what tempts me on the redmi me part is its high dcp3i value of 95℅ and powerful internals

so can the picture be improved ?

Last edited:
A off Topic question. RD has 55inch U7980 that can delivered to my friends place in Mumbai. How would I go about getting it delivered to my city Nagpur using a courier service and which should I use?
Can you tell us what attempts you made so we could fill in the blanks or give you further ideas. In a non pandemic situation I would have suggested many different ideas.

Can you tell us what attempts you made so we could fill in the blanks or give you further ideas. In a non pandemic situation I would have suggested many different ideas.
So far I can say for certain that Mumbai RD has the Tv available and they can deliver it to my friends place in Mumbai, Kandivali.

So far I can say for certain that Mumbai RD has the Tv available and they can deliver it to my friends place in Mumbai, Kandivali.
Amazon uses "Delhivery" which has good track record so far which can be used by any of us. (Flipkart uses Ekart, their own subsidiary to ship consignments and for their logistical solutions.For their purposes only) Check with Delhivery and let us know how it goes.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back