Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

Installation of 65 variant will be done today.
Any particular tests i can take see if the panel is ok?

What is the best way to play 4k HDR contents from hard disk/ USB drive in this TV?

My 65u7980 just got Installed now. Got from RD Website @ 67490 after 1500 Discount with 3 years manufacturer warranty.. Let me know basic checks & tests to done to see; Youtube / prime working. I have JIO STB; that is also working...

RD delayed the delivery by 2 days was supposed to be delivered on 27-Dec-2020; The issue according to them was "Invoice Printing" Issue.

Chased them now got the TV installed just now.

Will let u guys know further; Thanks; discussions here helped my Decision making process....

Can't the Shield do audio-only output to the HT and video to the TV. Nvidia's GPUs can do that on Windows.

And yes, for anyone also willing to get an HT soundbar, please make sure to get one with 4k HDR passthrough. Any HT which says 4k passthrough will only do 8-bit 4k and won't pass HDR metadata.

Port 2 will work fine if you want to get DV. Port 4 won't. Make sure to set the shield to match the content framerate. So when playing a 4k movie you should get 4k 24Hz signal to your TV. DV won't work for 4k 50/60Hz signal. It needs 4k 30 or below.
Can A reviver/soundbar that says 4k HDR paasthrough can passthrough Dolby vision as well or should the receiver explicitly say 4k HDR/DV passthrough?

Yesterday TV was delivered in afternoon and installation done late evening, thanks all for your valuable inputs in this thread. Will tinker the settings when I get time.

Can A reviver/soundbar that says 4k HDR paasthrough can passthrough Dolby vision as well or should the receiver explicitly say 4k HDR/DV passthrough?
It can, but generally it won't. The marketing division makes sure that all buzzwords are printed and available for people to see. It's like Dolby Vision or HDR on TV. If a TV supports it, it will be mentioned in specs.

So if a receiver/soundbar supports 4k HDR passthrough, it will be mentioned at least twice on the product page.

Just got this TV installed and i am blown away with the picture quality. The blacks are inky black, brightness is too good and colors look so amazing in this tv. I remember seeing an oled in one of the showrooms, and this tv looks as good as an oled (atleast in those YouTube's HDR demo videos). I just wanted a tv to watch 4k hdr/dolby vision movies and shows, and this tv is perfect for that. I dont play games so refresh rate doesn't matter, have mi tv box 4k so dont care about the glitchy vidaa os in this tv as mentioned by few fms. Also, have 5.1 channel onkyo home theatre, so dont care for the sound quality of the tv. So, people who are considering to buy it, have similar watching conditions as mentioned above, and simply want best picture quality without spending lakhs, should definitely go for it. At Rs 68900/- for 65 inch, this tv is complete vfm and one of the most satisfying purchases ever for me.

Like many cities, this tv was not available in my city state M.P. So had to buy it from reliance digital pune, got it delivered at cousin's home in Pune. Got it to my hometown in a train by booking it as parcel and carrying it in the brake van of the train. It was a risky affair though, but i supervised every movement of the tv, right from home to station, station to brake van of the train, and then from brake van to the parcel office of my city and finally to home from station. Had to sacrifice one night sleep in the journey as at every stop i went to the brake van from my coach (luckily it was only one coach away) and made sure the unloading/loading guys at different stations dont mishandle my tv box. Didn't go for any transportation or courier service provider as didnt have enough trust in them and moreover they themselves suggested me not to do so as if any damage happens they wouldn't be responsible (asked Dtdc, Professional courier and few others).

Thanks to all the FMs who suggested this tv. Now will be trying settings provided by @lightgamer and see how much more amazing this tv can look
Congratulations hope you enjoy the TV to the fullest.

It can, but generally it won't. The marketing division makes sure that all buzzwords are printed and available for people to see. It's like Dolby Vision or HDR on TV. If a TV supports it, it will be mentioned in specs.

So if a receiver/soundbar supports 4k HDR passthrough, it will be mentioned at least twice on the product page.
I asked this because all of the Samsung sound bars just mention 4kHdr passthrough(Samsung doesn't support DV but promote their own hdr10+). None of them mention Dolby vision. For people trying to get a soundbar with this tv be sure to test out Dolby vision passthrough before buying a samsung sound bar

I asked this because all of the Samsung sound bars just mention 4kHdr passthrough(Samsung doesn't support DV but promote their own hdr10+). None of them mention Dolby vision. For people trying to get a soundbar with this tv be sure to test out Dolby vision passthrough before buying a samsung sound bar
Yes, that will work. Samsung's 2020 lineup of soundbars do support DV passthrough. Samsung won't advertise that since they are promoting HDR10+.

4k passthrough requires just 8-bit signal to pass and requires HDMI 2.0, while 4k HDR requires a 10-bit signal to pass, which requires HDMI 2.0b.

Can anyone point me to the settings given by lightgamer?
Just copy-pasting my older comment here with all the changes I've done since then (and removing a bunch of nonsense). In the future, I'll just link to this comment.

I currently did for 3 modes SDR, HDR and sports. For Dolby Vision I don't have much content that works on it and the default Dolby Vision bright mode looks good to me(I'll adjust it if I need tuning maybe a couple weeks later if I'm getting bored). Anyway, here's what the 3 modes are for:
  1. HDR: For HDR10 content. Here you want the best specular highlights, accurate white balance for skin tones and a bit of image pop you'd not get on SDR content. Also the image must look very good. I'm NOT going for absolute accuracy here but making the image look as good as possible without making the colours look wrong (that's also my principle with other modes). Mode started from (HDR dynamic, as I want to preserve the accurate modes in their default settings for later reference and I'm modifying every setting anyway).
  2. Sports: This is for cricket only, and I tuned it using IPL. Currently, the IPL getting streamed is 30 fps AND a bit desaturated. So this mode might not work for 50/60 fps football games as well as it does for cricket. I'll explain the reasoning behind the settings soon, so you might change it as per your preference.(mode started from: sports)
  3. SDR: Anything not in the above two modes (mode started from: Standard).
An ideal scenario will be 5 modes: SDR bright, SDR dark, HDR bright, HDR dark and sports. But you can just turn the backlight a bit low and make a dark mode, so I won't be dealing with that in this one.

Let me go setting by setting:

Apply picture settings: All sources. Note that this won't apply to all sources, but to this mode on all sources. So standard mode for all sources will be the same, but all sources won't be set to standard. Hope that makes sense. You'll need to check if this mode is set.

Backlight: This is how much your backlight will shine through. Making this high will make your display brighter, setting low will make it darker. However, for HDR content your movie will follow the PQ EOTF curve so you won't get eye-searing brightness unless the scene demands one.

I set SDR to 85, HDR to 100, Sports to 100. For dark rooms/dark modes you can set SDR to 50, HDR to 100 and Sports to 60. Vary this according to your preference.

Local dimming: This is the main feature of this TV. High local dimming will make the blacks really black and make the image pop. However, it will create dirty screen effect(and blooming for black) when there is a uniform background and some high brightness objects on it. For exammple, it will look bad on a cricket match due to the green grass and bright people on it.

I set SDR to high, HDR to high, Sports to low. You can also try SDR to medium, HDR to high and sports to low if you see a lot of banding and blooming on SDR content.

Brightness: This is not your real brightness but weird image enhancement stuff, don't touch this from 50.

Contrast: Another image enhancement. I set it to 50 for SDR, 50 for HDR and 50 for sports.

Sharpness: Again, another setting to generally not mess with. It provides edge enhancement at the cost of halos around bright object. Set to 0-5 for all 3 modes. You can set to a low value (around 10) for sports and SDR if you're watching a lot of SD content and want some edge enhancement.

I found that for 1080p cable content, a sharpness around 5 makes the content look pretty good. For that particular source, you can set 'Apply picture settings' to this source and vary it.

Colour saturation: The most obvious setting. I set it to 50 for HDR, 47 for SDR and 50 for Sports. I need a bit more pop in sports, a bit less in regular SDR content and it's about right for HDR as making it higher will make things look wrong and oversaturated.

Adaptive contrast: Low makes everything look worse, medium and high cause too much black crush. This is a setting for low saturation 80s and 90s shows where the reference image itself is washed out and flat. Keep it off for all 3 modes, can turn on if the contrast is a bit low for a particular source.

Ultra-smooth motion: Motion enhancement. I found that the default settings (smooth, clear, standard) are pretty garbage. Also tried a lot of them in custom but nothing really worked as it introduced motion issues in complex panning shots. Motion processing is not this TV's strong suit. I spent hours tuning this with complex panning videos and honestly couldn't get it perfect.

Off for SDR and HDR, try varying according to your taste for sports.

Noise reduction/MPEG noise reduction: Keep it on low for both. You can also keep it off but low doesn't make a difference for me and it will likely help with low-resolution content.

White balance: The most important setting. Cool is bad and way too coolWarm is a bit too warm for my liking. So I set it to Standard. Your panel may be slightly green/red/blue from true 6500K, so you can go to Expert settings>white balance and increase/decrease the red/green/blue to your liking.

Expert settings: Apart from white-balance set as in the previous setting, you set the colour gamut set to Native. Auto doesn't use the full colour gamut. If you set it to auto, the settings I've mentioned above won't look right and you'll need to set everything yourself.

Also, for gamma leave it to 2.4 for SDR. Sports to 2.4 (adds a bit more contrast to the sky shots and jerseys). HDR you can't adjust gamma because it uses EOTF and not a gamma curve.

A higher gamma will make things look a bit dark and contrasty (Since it's a higher exponential reaching the same final value) and lower gamma will make things look a bit flatter and less contrasty.

If you're following this, any deviation to the recommended settings I've shared should be done AFTER you've made all the changes, not in between. This is for obvious reasons as these settings work great together, not on your own. In the end, you can compare your image quality with other modes and see that this looks so much better.

Let me know how these look for you, or if you've found better settings than these. I'd love to check those out.

Thanks to everyone on this forum.
Got the 65 inch version installed yesterday.
Picture quality looks stunning. Blown away by the blacks.
Biggest negative for me is the motion handling. Anything below HD will look really bad on this TV.

Yes, that will work. Samsung's 2020 lineup of soundbars do support DV passthrough. Samsung won't advertise that since they are promoting HDR10+.

4k passthrough requires just 8-bit signal to pass and requires HDMI 2.0, while 4k HDR requires a 10-bit signal to pass, which requires HDMI 2.0b.
Isn't DV 12 bit?

Isn't DV 12 bit?
DV can be up to 12-bit. That's why you can have hardware which can pass through HDR and not DV. But you don't need to pass through 4k 12-bit 4:4:4 60Hz signal anywhere so you're fine. For everything else HDMI 2.0b will work. Most of the time(non PC use) you'll be passing 4k 12-bit 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 signal which can easily be passed at 12-bit with 2.0b.

Both USB ports are 2.0, will that work with 4 tb drive and for 4k contents? Any restrcitions playing from USB?
USB 2.0 supports 45 MB/s, which is 360 Mbps. A 100GB 2-hour blu-ray will be ~113Mbps. So yeah, it'll be plenty.

The big reason I don't use local media player is that I consume a lot of content with a lot of formats, and the local media player doesn't support a whole bunch of them. .ASS subtitles, OPUS audio for example are not supported. Plex on the other hand supports almost everything and what can't be played it uses my workstation to transcode in real-time. Also, Plex has an amazing interface with a lot more features like online subtitle search, resume from last played, recommendations, metadata etc.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back