Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

I was playing a movie through native Netflix app and I noticed that info button in remote shows that movie is playing in 4k(hopefully. it shows 2160) but Signal info from Menu button shows that it's playing in 720p. Which is correct, my eyes and brain wants to believe that it's 4k!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20201230_185129-04.jpeg
    IMG_20201230_185129-04.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 44
I was playing a movie through native Netflix app and I noticed that info button in remote shows that movie is playing in 4k(hopefully. it shows 2160) but Signal info from Menu button shows that it's playing in 720p. Which is correct, my eyes and brain wants to believe that it's 4k!!!!
Meaning it isnt a 4k display or 4k was downscaled to 720p? What is this magic?

The signal info is for the signal your TV receives from the source. Since the TV doesn't get a signal from an inbuilt app, it's filled with default junk values. You can clearly see with 0Hz, 0-bit colour depth and unknown colour format. In computer science terms, we call it 'garbage value'. Even if things aren't initialized, some value is given to them since memory is allocated. I can go in-depth if you want as to why that's is there, but that will be going massively off-topic.

The signal info in Menu is mostly for DTH and other sources. Don't bother with it.

It's playing in 2160p as the 15.25 Mbps bitrate also suggests. Also, you'll be seeing much more detail than a 720p movie has. 720p on Netflix has something like 1-2 Mbps.

@lightgamer
I have tried playing 4k hdr content through plex. ( Over fire stick)

It shows 4k HDR before playing and also on the right bottom while playing. But it shows HD on the left bottom where the play buttons are present.

Same with prime videos, it shows HD HDR even though it shows 4K before playing.

Any idea why it is like this?

@lightgamer
I have tried playing 4k hdr content through plex. ( Over fire stick)

It shows 4k HDR before playing and also on the right bottom while playing. But it shows HD on the left bottom where the play buttons are present.

Same with prime videos, it shows HD HDR even though it shows 4K before playing.

Any idea why it is like this?
That's just an icon for video settings. Plex doesn't change the resolution of the video played unless necessary

On the bottom right above the seek bar it will show 4k HDR even when playing. Also you can go to 3 dot menu (bottom right) and check playback info where it'll show exactly what's happening.

I bought the u79 65 inch and got it installed today. I am using this firestick.

When I played few movies like Aquaman from Netflix, the content is in HD. This shows with black bars on top and bottom. I assumed something to do with aspect ratio, and changed the tv's aspect ratio setting to movie zoom. This makes the movie show on the whole screen. But then the firestick home page and all also appears zoomed out and unusable.

Can someone clarify if there is some other setting to scale the hd content? Or is this limitation of my prime/Netflix subscription?

I bought the u79 65 inch and got it installed today. I am using this firestick.

When I played few movies like Aquaman from Netflix, the content is in HD. This shows with black bars on top and bottom. I assumed something to do with aspect ratio, and changed the tv's aspect ratio setting to movie zoom. This makes the movie show on the whole screen. But then the firestick home page and all also appears zoomed out and unusable.

Can someone clarify if there is some other setting to scale the hd content? Or is this limitation of my prime/Netflix subscription?
It is supposed to have black bars on top and bottom because it's 21:9 content on a 16:9 screen. A movie zoom will cut left and right side of the image, so why would you want it?

Is there any difference in the HDMI1/2/3 and HDMI4 port in 65u7980... HDMI4 is at the back of TV it is saying 4k@60FPS; where as the HDMI1/2/3 does not saying anything of that sort. Checked the Manual cud not find any difference. Ofcourse the HDMI1 has ARC

I saw option to add bluetooth remote, will the old mi tv remote or fire stick remote work with it?

With habit of bluetooth remotes, pointing this big remote towards tv feels bit odd...

Is there any difference in the HDMI1/2/3 and HDMI4 port in 65u7980... HDMI4 is at the back of TV it is saying 4k@60FPS; where as the HDMI1/2/3 does not saying anything of that sort. Checked the Manual cud not find any difference. Ofcourse the HDMI1 has ARC
HDMI 4 is for PC input as it supports 4:4:4 without chroma subsampling. Rest of the ports are for video signal like your DTH, firestick as they have HDCP 2.2.

I saw option to add bluetooth remote, will the old mi tv remote or fire stick remote work with it?

With habit of bluetooth remotes, pointing this big remote towards tv feels bit odd...
The remote we get with the TV is itself Bluetooth remote.

Wait... I had this feeling it paired with my shield. But for tv I have to point to tv infrared sensor, had to enable bluetooth remote ?
Did you set up Alexa on the TV . Setting up Alexa requires you to pair the remote with the TV via Bluetooth

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back