Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

Aren't the owners of this TV concerned about Toshiba's after sales service?
I bought the TV from Reliance Digital with a 3 year warranty, where they clearly told me in case of any issues I had to reach out to them and they will take it up with Toshiba. So I am relaxed with that respect.

As for updates, various forums have said Toshiba will roll out updates in the first quarter , so I would wait till march without too much worry or expectations for the update. Post march if we still don't have the update it will be a cause of concern.

But personally, I'll still be getting an Nvidia shield soon so don't really need Toshiba's updates.I bought this TV just because of its good picture quality at a reasonable price.

Thanks for this post. I have the same question too..
If the TV brought from RD their ResQ team handles all the installation and service requests. I had good exoerience with HTiB brought from RD and with extended warranty ResQ.

Aren't the owners of this TV concerned about Toshiba's after sales service?
All manufacturers in India suck with after-sales service, including even Apple. So far in my experience, I have never been denied warranty claim on a single device, however, none of those experience was pleasant.

So no, I'm not worried about after-sales service, as I know it would suck just like other manufacturers. When push comes to shove, I'll get it done through some pain.

guys got a replay back from the end of hisense ,but you can probably guess from the grammatic quality of the content in SS attached bellow that some idiot from their end was writing this back to me , but at least from the end of hisense I got a replay back

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210105-162827778.jpg
    Screenshot_20210105-162827778.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 72
guys got a replay back from the end of hisense ,but you can probably guess from the grammatic quality of the content in SS attached bellow that some idiot from their end was writing this back to me , but at least from the end of hisense I got a replay back
I am wondering can a firmware upgrade also make this TV hdr10+ capable. This TV already has DV so it has the tech to parse HDR metadata frame by frame. Can hdr10+ also be implemented if Toshiba wanted to?

I am wondering can a firmware upgrade also make this TV hdr10+ capable. This TV already has DV so it has the tech to parse HDR metadata frame by frame. Can hdr10+ also be implemented if Toshiba wanted to?
Technically probably yes, but it's not going to happen. Toshiba has been so bad with software that even basics working sounds like a pipe dream right now.

Technically probably yes, but it's not going to happen. Toshiba has been so bad with software that even basics working sounds like a pipe dream right now.
The reason I am inclined to think this way is because Toshiba u8080 which might be launched anytime(announced way back in September) is advertised as supporting hdr10+ on Flipkart. It would for sure have the latest vidaa OS. In case u7980 gets updated to latest vidaa os at par with what u8080 has, we might get the hdr10+ support.

from their replay above anyone can probably guess that they are mostly likely never gonna update this TV as people from Toshiba's email wing didn't even bother to replay to the same mail I sent before , normally any shitty company will most likely have some person
to sent something back as a response they don't even have these type of people..which can show us how much hisense values this license to manufacture Toshiba tvs , hisense is famous all over the world for its contradiction with one of their licensees aka sharp due to poor after sales service and introduction of bad and misleading products under their brand name which eventually resulted in a lawsuit and got settled out of court back in 2017 or 2018 smtg .. let's hope that Toshiba will sue them similarly in the future .... ( just some of my hopeful dreams ).

but I will wait for a while till Feb or March of this year if they are never gonna update by then , then I might have to get an nvidia shield TV from US. or an amazon fire cube or smtg .

:)

The reason I am inclined to think this way is because Toshiba u8080 which might be launched anytime(announced way back in September) is advertised as supporting hdr10+ on Flipkart. It would for sure have the latest vidaa OS. In case u7980 gets updated to latest vidaa os at par with what u8080 has, we might get the hdr10+ support.
that TV is most likely never gonna launch atleast this is what I believe , hisense itself is not receiving good orders for hisense q7f which is similarly priced and similar in terms of specs with u8080 ( bit downgraded but still ). moreover even if its gonna get launched then its gonna probably shoot up to 1.10 lakhs due to recent market situations and new import policies.

either way that's not what I was here to say , what I was going say was from my perspective Toshiba might try to maintain a hierarchy in the market as same as they were maintained in international markets by time of its end. thus HDR + is most likely never gonna be enabled on u7980 and mostly gonna be reserved as an "exclusive" feature to u8080 if it ever make it to the market or to any other more expensive future models.

that TV is most likely never gonna launch atleast this is what I believe , hisense itself is not receiving good orders for hisense q7f which is similarly priced and similar in terms of specs with u8080 ( bit downgraded but still ). moreover even if its gonna get launched then its gonna probably shoot up to 1.10 lakhs due to recent market situations and new import policies.

either way that's not what I was here to say , what I was going say was from my perspective Toshiba might try to maintain a hierarchy in the market as same as they were maintained in international markets by time of its end. thus HDR + is most likely never gonna be enabled on u7980 and mostly gonna be reserved as an "exclusive" feature to u8080 if it ever make it to the market or to any other more expensive future models.
Even if Toshiba doesn't provide update, I'll still have no regrets as I bought this TV just for its picture quality at this price, I would have bought this TV even if it was a non smart TV only for the display.

We bought this TV knowing it doesn't have hdr10+. If it does provide it with an update that will be great and wonderful from Toshiba, if it doesn't I would still have no complaints, as it was never a part of the package.

When these TV will be available in Delhi.....?? No comments from Toshiba.
its got sold out bro I was one of the last few people whom bought very last few pieces available in the country through flipkart when I bought it the numbers were : 3- 55" and 1- 65" in flipkart and on the same day it got sold out.

if you are lucky enough you might be able to get a piece through reliance digital in Hyderabad or Mumbai.

Last edited:
Even if Toshiba doesn't provide update, I'll still have no regrets as I bought this TV just for its picture quality at this price, I would have bought this TV even if it was a non smart TV only for the display.

We bought this TV knowing it doesn't have hdr10+. If it does provide it with an update that will be great and wonderful from Toshiba, if it doesn't I would still have no complaints, as it was never a part of the package.
yes same here , but I do criticize them for not adding default hotstar+disnep support , but hey for 50k its a blockbuster , I was planning for Sony x900h but then I came across this TV and then I was like why should I buy a full array Sony led TV @1.05lakhs despite being a Sony edge led TV user from 2010 ;) , ( then I was thinking like I should get an oled if I'm smashing a lakh rupees as it seems worth it , but being a TV for my parents I believe they won't take care of the burn in so panel might
get damaged too soon and it costs nearly a lakh to replace it so ditched it and took this ).

for 50k I'm happy with TV , all other TVs at this rate are pure shit :)

Last edited:
are these black dots in lower most corner dead pixels ? does anyone here other than me are seeing any of em on your panels ??
guys please check it and then let me know if this is only in my case.

@lightgamer

Attachments

• IMG_20210106_200131 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210106_200131 (1).jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
are these black dots in lower most corner dead pixels ? does anyone here other than me are seeing any of em on your panels ??
guys please check it and then let me know if this is only in my case.

@lightgamer
Uhoh..looks more like impurities. Dead pixels would have looked like stuck pitch dark or pitch luminescent dots. These look like poorly luminated ones.. Can you unsee it?

Uhoh..looks more like impurities. Dead pixels would have looked like stuck pitch dark or pitch luminescent dots. These look like poorly luminated ones.. Can you unsee it?
nop it doesn't go away it is permanent there , no matter what I display these dark dots are present so what should I do ? i have a quite few of them i noticed these yesterday only when i tried to test 4k output performance of my laptop display , during the process i had to stay near close to the screen and then onky noticed these spots 6 on the lower side and 2 on halfway up the extreme right side the tv display what should i do ??take the replacement option ??

Last edited:
Dolby Vision content works perfectly via external USB storage when playing through inbuilt media player
I have tested mandalorian s02e07 Dolby vision file showed me both DV and Dolby atmos logo
But when played through PLEX server [fire stick 4k] its playing HDR

Dolby Vision content works perfectly via external USB storage when playing through inbuilt media player
I have tested mandalorian s02e07 Dolby vision file showed me both DV and Dolby atmos logo
Can we play bigger files (above 20 gb) via external USB through TV's inbuilt media player?

Where did you get the Dolby vision version? I can only find normal hdr10 versions out there. Please DM.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back