Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

Dolby Vision will only help when the content is mastered way above the TV's peak brightness. For example, say a TV is 300 nits but the content is mastered for 1000 nits, that will be a problem because either the TV will dim everything to look right or blow up highlights. Dolby Vision has scene by scene metadata which helps choose the correct compromise to make based on the scene.

Since this TV is 700 nits, any content mastered below 1000 nits will look just fine. It's only the very rare 4000 nit mastered content that will cause issues. Dolby Vision is more of a necessity on low brightness TVs.
What I have read somewhere is, in disney plus originals, the content is mastered at very low nits. For eg, The Mandalorian is mastered at only 200 nits. So it's just HDR10 master in a new color space and gamma(P3 D65) transcoded in lossy pack

What I have read somewhere is, in disney plus originals, the content is mastered at very low nits. For eg, The Mandalorian is mastered at only 200 nits. So it's just HDR10 master in a new color space and gamma(P3 D65) transcoded in lossy pack
The Mandalorian has 550-600 nit scenes if I remember correctly

Last edited:
Does this tv play av1 codec videos by the way?
No TV plays back av1 in hardware and TV CPUs are too weak to play it using software acceleration. The only SoCs that support AV1 decode are Mediatek Dimensity 1000 and Exynos 2100, none of which are available for TVs.

It will take at least a couple years for that tech to come to TVs.

This is only going to be a requirement for newly launching devices this year. It will require new chipset.

Even Google's own Chromecast that launced like 3 months ago doesn't support it. As of now, no product or SoC sold does.

As it seems like, the new Amlogic SoC and the new 2021 lineup of Bravia TVs will support it. So you can expect more support in next 1-2 years.

The bigger problem is encode though. As of now, no chip on mobile or even desktop has support for AV1 encode so it'll take a while to replace HEVC.

The only places AV1 might be beneficial for now is going to be for YouTube but in YouTube you have VP9 and AVC as fallbacks.

@lightgamer I got this otg for my firestick but its not working with my external HDD but its only working with a pendrive
is there a power issue?
any solution?
Is your HDD powering on and vibrating a bit? If yes, then it's not a power issue.

If it's not a power issue, you'll need to see what the filesystem of your pendrive is. TV operating systems (except android) are picky about NTFS or exFAT.

Is your HDD powering on and vibrating a bit? If yes, then it's not a power issue.

If it's not a power issue, you'll need to see what the filesystem of your pendrive is. TV operating systems (except android) are picky about NTFS or exFAT.
Yes my HDD is powering on and also vibrating but not flashing
HDD is formatted in ntfs and my pendrive is in fat32
my hdd usually works on TV [direct plug-in]

Yes my HDD is powering on and also vibrating but not flashing
HDD is formatted in ntfs and my pendrive is in fat32
my hdd usually works on TV [direct plug-in]
Try formatting your pendrive in NTFS and see if it works with firestick.

If it doesn't, try exFAT and EXT4. You'll get to the solution.

Bought a 55 inch from RD last Friday.

The box and brochure are properly labelled but there's nothing on the TV or inside it that certifies, that it is indeed a u7980.

Is this normal?

Bought a 55 inch from RD last Friday.

The box and brochure are properly labelled but there's nothing on the TV or inside it that certifies, that it is indeed a u7980.

Is this normal?
Don't you have a sticker and barcode at the back with the model no? There is a sticker near the HDMI ports.

Only system info i can see is the
Software Version: V0000.01.00a.K0515

No, this wasn't a display unit. There were no display units at RD and per store personnel u7980 is an online only and not yet authorised to be displayed in store's.

How do I get more information about the insides of this tv? Panel etc

Am I overlooking a menu that has this info?
Are there any third party app's that can help?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back