Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

Only system info i can see is the
Software Version: V0000.01.00a.K0515

No, this wasn't a display unit. There were no display units at RD and per store personnel u7980 is an online only and not yet authorised to be displayed in store's.

How do I get more information about the insides of this tv? Panel etc

Am I overlooking a menu that has this info?
Are there any third party app's that can help?
Go to the picture menu and under backlight section there should be local dimming option. If the option is there rest assured it's u7980 as only this Toshiba model supports local dimming.

Local dimming option is present.

A bit weird that this is the only way to ascertain it is a u7980 and not 5050 or some other Toshiba model.

I just read the manual and it says under support and system info -> version should show a hardware code.

Mine doesn't , can others confirm whether their unit displays a hardware code.

No, this wasn't a display unit. There were no display units at RD and per store personnel u7980 is an online only and not yet authorised to be displayed in store's.

Btw, what are you trying to verify? That it is indeed a u7980 or not? Why should you do that? Why would RD sell anything else when the tv is in the cheaper end of the spectrum?

Btw, what are you trying to verify? That it is indeed a u7980 or not? Why should you do that? Why would RD sell anything else when the tv is in the cheaper end of the spectrum?
No, what I am trying to figure out is why the product I have purchased does not have a service or identity tag on it. And what happens incase in future I need to get RD or Toshiba involved with repairs etc.

Ofc there's receipt n all but to me it did seem a bit odd that the product itself doesn't have anything identifiable on it.

No, what I am trying to figure out is why the product I have purchased does not have a service or identity tag on it. And what happens incase in future I need to get RD or Toshiba involved with repairs etc.

Ofc there's receipt n all but to me it did seem a bit odd that the product itself doesn't have anything identifiable on it.
No serial number, no tag you mean? Nope. Doesn't seem right to me.. Is Toshiba written in the TV. Return it if the doubts get too much

This sounds fishy.. Can you post some general pics and some zoomed to where ever there is writing?

I distinctly remember some stickers at the right side of the TV having FALD and stuff if I remember correctly.

The software version is correct.

Go to settings>system>advanced settings>TV name and you'll see U7980 listed there.

Furthermore, you can do some local dimming tests to determine if the TV has FALD or not if you're still skeptical.

Local dimming option is present.

A bit weird that this is the only way to ascertain it is a u7980 and not 5050 or some other Toshiba model.

I just read the manual and it says under support and system info -> version should show a hardware code.

Mine doesn't , can others confirm whether their unit displays a hardware code.
How different?

So I went looking for this TV at a local RD store and it isn't available on display. Instead there was a Toshiba5050 - Is this TV comparable to the U79 or does it have features important to IQ missing? ex: local dimming or FALD etc?

Ok guess I will wait for the U79 to be in stock again ...

How is the Samsung Q80T compared to the U79?If I am willing to settle for the 49" TV at 95k in my fantasy ... ? Purely going by PQ i.e as I already have multiple android STBs and a sound bar ...

Last edited:
Ok guess I will wait for the U79 to be in stock again ...

How is the Samsung Q80T compared to the U79?If I am willing to settle for the 49" TV at 95k in my fantasy ... ? Purely going by PQ i.e as I already have multiple android STBs and a sound bar ...
Q80T is a better TV overall
U79 is more of a budget segment

Q80T is a better TV overall
U79 is more of a budget segment
Ok but is it worth the price difference? Is the PQ that much better?
On a side note - I already have a major expense planned once the Nvidia RTX3080 becomes available so happy to be miserly with the TV ...

Ok but is it worth the price difference? Is the PQ that much better?
On a side note - I already have a major expense planned once the Nvidia RTX3080 becomes available so happy to be miserly with the TV ...
Q80T was 78k for 49" with fald and 60hz and frame 55 at 74k with dual led 120 hz on samsung corporate store as of today.. Even im confused on waiting with 47-49k for a tv that's never in stock and no guarantees of after sales( Toshiba guys don't even reply to emails) or rather payoff for a samsung where they listen and respond and my 2013 40inch fhd still goes strong with a single dead pixel after 7 yrs.

Last edited:
Q80T was 78k for 49" with fald and 60hz and frame 55 at 74k with dual led 120 hz on samsung corporate store as of today.. Even im confused on waiting with 47-49k for a tv that's never in stock and no guarantees of after sales( Toshiba guys don't even reply to emails) or rather payoff for a samsung where they listen and respond and my 2013 40inch fhd still goes strong with a single dead pixel after 7 yrs.
As far as I know, Samsung 50" variants are significantly inferior in picture quality to the 55" variants.

As far as I know, Samsung 50" variants are significantly inferior in picture quality to the 55" variants.

I'm curious - How does it happen that the same TV brand in the same model series produces inferior panels compared to a larger version?

I'm just quoting rtings that says q80t 49 inch model has 60hz panel, just like the frame where 50 inch is 60hz too. Motion handling might take a hit, I'm not a gamer to complain though. I don't want to spend 70/80k tbh on a tv while still staying in a rented house but freakin 7980 is like a mirage and then a panel lottery even after that. @jbpicer what did you do with your TV btw?

But ppi (pixels per inch) density increases by 10% with 50" TV over 55" TV.
Either you'll stay at the same distance and get a smaller image or you'll get closer and lose on PPI. The bigger problem is the lack of enough dimming zones and inferior panel quality on these 50" models though.
I'm curious - How does it happen that the same TV brand in the same model series produces inferior panels compared to a larger version?
This is a case with the 2020 Samsung line-up only though. The 2021 lineup for 50" seems to have all the good features. Though time will tell.

A bigger LCD is generally better because of more dimming zones (generally) and usually below 55" panel quality suffers since no one buys them. Since there's no demand, generally companies don't care about them. No TV below 55" will have a good panel.
I'm just quoting rtings that says q80t 49 inch model has 60hz panel, just like the frame where 50 inch is 60hz too. Motion handling might take a hit, I'm not a gamer to complain though. I don't want to spend 70/80k tbh on a tv while still staying in a rented house but freakin 7980 is like a mirage and then a panel lottery even after that. @jbpicer what did you do with your TV btw?
It's not just 60 vs 120Hz. I forgot all the differences but there are quite a few of them between the 49" and 55" Samsung variants in image quality too. There was a post on this forum itself listing all the differences. I'm unable to find it now though. If someone remembers, please link me to it.

And a rented house has nothing to do with how much you spend on your TV. I live in a rented house and don't think twice before spending 3 lacs on a PC, and thinking of spending 3-4 lacs on TV this year. I rent because it gives me the freedom to move out to a different city/country. There's no shame in it.

I decided to take a gamble now due to its ultra value for money proposition in the market either way I have an extended warranty option so for 3years its worth it atleast I'm having a poor mans oled setup for 50k I was planning for an oled but its maintenance remains a hectic process as you have to be careful and then the next option was Sony x900h which is super expensive for a flad setup with a mere 32 zones ( but Sony's picture processor is in a different league , the best in the industry ). other option was a Samsung q60t 58inch for 96k @ reallaince digital ( which I personally found better at colour calliberation than this u7980 but the price tag was an issue for a non flad set ).

well in the end I decided to keep the TV its been going on without any extra issues over the black dots which I had posted in this fourm. these dots can't be seen once you are sitting a few feet ie 7-8 feet away from the TV like me its only noticable when you are just from 1-1½ feet distance away from the TV .

its said there is a service centre in my district ie ernakulam , Kerala if the issue gets worse I will contact them its been a month since I've bought it still I don't regret buying this for the specs its offering , I watched the movie soul , the dark sequences were pure black nearly 70-80% of an oled for the money its a bargain even if a few dots are there on the lower side I don't really care !! what else you need at 50k ??

even now tvs under 60k can't match the black levels of this beast (I thought 2021 might change the industry dramatically but hey I guess this set was a lottery pick to be launched in india in 2020 even if it was an year old budget set abroad).

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back