Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

On what basis you are saying that? Toshiba U8080 (equivalent H9G) is been listed for long time now. And no news of launch till today.

probably not anytime soon .... maybe never but they might launch a better version of the same and it could be a h9g under Toshiba branding just like h8g under Toshiba branding of u7980
But u79 was there in the market for only 1month .. i am not sure they will stop it or not . But surely we can expect h9g which is better than h8g.
I think this delay could been due to india china trade off

Its pretty much the h8f and I dont think I can do a better job than rtings.
I can answer any specific questions though.

I don't think its a licensing issue but rather with Hisense not updating their Dolby Vision package on the VIDAA platform
The Android version doesn't seem to have the same issue. I do have the 4K plan but I dont want to use the TV's internal apps(privacy concern with chinese mfgs).Netflix on my Xbox falls back to HDR10 and the experience has been pretty good so far.

Also, I am seeing some motion stuttering on 24p content on Netflix and I don't see an option to set Film mode. I had to resort to enabling motion reduction by setting blur and judder 2 which helps a bit. I'm really disappointed in the tweakability of the settings. Like the android version has so much more flexibility.
follow

Hey guys, I don't see U79 coming back in stock anytime soon. Any suggestions on any alternatives? I was thinking of going for Toshiba U5050. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Looks like U79 has been discontinued all over India
RD took down the U79 65 inch model listings today, Only the 55 inch is available that too on limited stock
For the people who are interested I would suggest to Hurry up
This is the last chance to get your hands on U79 in India
The below listing is available at all HYD pincodes

Link-

Why is Hyderabad the only place where rare TV's are available plus they give heavy discounts on LG OLED CX and other popular TV's in demand? Are they duplicating popular branded TV's?

U79 55 inches is in stock at RD HYD try getting from them via transport or something
U5050 is nowhere near to U79 in terms of PQ
I tried to speak to the RD guys but they said transport won't be possible. Thanks for your suggestion.

Can you suggest a few alternatives to U79 under 50k? I don't see U79 coming back in stock again. No point in waiting more.

I tried to speak to the RD guys but they said transport won't be possible. Thanks for your suggestion.

Can you suggest a few alternatives to U79 under 50k? I don't see U79 coming back in stock again. No point in waiting more.
Hi

if u want peace of mind, reliability long life then u should do for good branded television like sony 7002 g which offers excellent quality but you should use any external android box with this tv or else lg um 7290 which offers decent picture quality and good after sale services

Other budget 55inch television are Vu cinema tv , u fan also consider raidex arya 1 qled tv

Try Samsung Wondertainment. Or Hisense A73F or LG7290. Under 50k yes. Exceptional quality - nope.

TBH there are none in this price point.
The only tv close/better to this is the samsung Frame 55
Any tv below 50k other than U79 is significantly bad compared to PQ U79 offers

TBH there are none in this price point.
The only tv close/better to this is the samsung Frame 55
Any tv below 50k other than U79 is significantly bad compared to PQ U79 offers
I guess we all were just too lucky enough to get our hands on it

for 50k this was the silent yet famous blockbuster in the entire TV market in India during the corona season.

I guess we all were just too lucky enough to get our hands on it

for 50k this was the silent yet famous blockbuster in the entire TV market in India during the corona season.
The problem are electronic component shortages across the industry this year and the India-China trade war.

I myself am unable to import anything from China. For a company requiring much higher volumes you can be sure it will be much harder.

Toshiba is ramping up production in India. Once that is up to speed, I'm pretty sure better TVs than U79 will be available in India.

The problem are electronic component shortages across the industry this year and the India-China trade war.

I myself am unable to import anything from China. For a company requiring much higher volumes you can be sure it will be much harder.

Toshiba is ramping up production in India. Once that is up to speed, I'm pretty sure better TVs than U79 will be available in India.
Well the dixon guys are making many more deals now, while we still get to see none of the 55 inches of the famed h8g/h9g. Wonder if this was just an experiment. Judge the brand by their after sales service, hopefully some of the owners here will tell us of the response.

What are the upcoming models that can fit in the place of U7980?

No word on Toshiba/ Hisense offerings yet (doubt really it will happen anytime soon)
Also no word from TCL on mini led launch.

So for now no FALD launch in the horizon. Really sad :(

Dixon technologies may be involved in production of other models (like the recent launches, Tornado TV). Seems company interest is also on the cheaper TV with large volumes.

India strategy for these brands seems to be focused on low cost high volume panels, than offering quality alternatives at mid range. No other explanation for not having a 55" 8080 (65 never launched), or a u7qf in 55" either. They will focus on u5050 or 71f/73f instead and cross brand with vu.. Tcl too had done the same in the past, sending shit panels for Indian Market even in qled levels. Look elsewhere for quality is the message, while they keep bringing over 2 years old inventory or the returned/rejected maal for India.

Last edited:
I usually set my firetvstick 4k to auto resolution and set the Plex app to auto switch resolution and frame rate. when I play any 4k HDR videos on Plex or 4khdr video on prime video everything seems ok but the the info button on Toshiba remote suggests it's paying an 8bit HDR video in both cases. I am not sure about prime video but 100% certain that video profile of files I play with Plex is 10bit.

Why is a 10 bit file shown as 8bit on toshiba any idea? By definition 10 in hdr10 specifiifes 10 bit.

Back