Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

I am facing some strange issues with Google Chromecast with google TV, 2020 model. I am not able to play many titles in Netflix app on Chromecast especially the Dolby Vision titles. All the Dolby Vision titles are displayed as 4K HDR titles.
Some of them can be played but not all the titles. Native Netflix app plays all contents.
I tried all the different hdmi ports, reinstalled netflix, in Chromecast. All the 4K Ultra HD titles can be played. HDR titles can be played in youtube. I have tried changing standard and enhanced options in hdmi cec section. In 1080p, all the Dolby Vision content can be played. While running 4k resolution in some titles bt2020 gets enabled and for some titles bt709.
How to enable Dolby Vision 4k in google tv, any ideas?

I am facing some strange issues with Google Chromecast with google TV, 2020 model. I am not able to play many titles in Netflix app on Chromecast especially the Dolby Vision titles. All the Dolby Vision titles are displayed as 4K HDR titles.
Some of them can be played but not all the titles. Native Netflix app plays all contents.
I tried all the different hdmi ports, reinstalled netflix, in Chromecast. All the 4K Ultra HD titles can be played. HDR titles can be played in youtube. I have tried changing standard and enhanced options in hdmi cec section. In 1080p, all the Dolby Vision content can be played. While running 4k resolution in some titles bt2020 gets enabled and for some titles bt709.
How to enable Dolby Vision 4k in google tv, any ideas?
You'll need to send a 4k 24/30 signal from Chromecast instead of 4k 60 signal to get DV to work on this TV at 4K. I'm not familiar with how the new Chromecast works, but look for automatic framerate option in settings or something like that.

When you do that, Dolby Vision will play on the TV. Without it, only HDR10 will.

You'll need to send a 4k 24/30 signal from Chromecast instead of 4k 60 signal to get DV to work on this TV at 4K. I'm not familiar with how the new Chromecast works, but look for automatic framerate option in settings or something like that.

When you do that, Dolby Vision will play on the TV. Without it, only HDR10 will.

Thanks bro.

4k in 30,25,24 hertz works in DV. TV will always be in Dolby Vision for CCwGTV. Saturation is too muted, native applications feels much better. Looks like I need to configure all picture settings again to get that punchy colours and feel. I have disabled dynamic content matching also to play DV in hotstar and Netflix.

Dear Members:
I bought the Toshiba U7980 55Inches in blore, from the Jyngr showroom. Had a few issues (Technically I'm disabled)
1) Plugged my Firestick to the Toshiba - Didn't work, the screen froze. (Was not able to select my profile, had to switch off the TV - restarted - didn't work)
2) Hotstar is not available - I watch a lot of F1, so a bummer for me! (Hence had tried to connect the Firestick)
3) Have Panasonic old plasma (12 Yrs old) - have connected my Firestick to that again (The screen here has some grey areas, looks like the rocky mountains)
4) The brightness levels are high in Toshiba, my guess coming from Panasonic.
5) There is a lag in audio (Lip Sync) (Toshiba TV) which I observed yday while watching TENET (Movie).

Any help is really appreciated, thank you.

I knew it! So much of build-up and hype in this forum for this tosh U7980 going on for months on a tv that's not in inventory in most stores and one day the emperor with no clothes will be exposed!

U7980 has become the patron saint of mediocrity.

I knew it! So much of build-up and hype in this forum for this tosh U7980 going on for months on a tv that's not in inventory in most stores and one day the emperor with no clothes will be exposed!

So u were waiting for a complaint to crack this dialogue? Come on grow up!!! Can u name an electronic product with zero complaint? So many people r praising this product because they r happy with it.

Dear Members:
I bought the Toshiba U7980 55Inches in blore, from the Jyngr showroom. Had a few issues (Technically I'm disabled)
1) Plugged my Firestick to the Toshiba - Didn't work, the screen froze. (Was not able to select my profile, had to switch off the TV - restarted - didn't work)
That's weird. Maybe the TV is faulty here.

Can you record a video of this phenomenon? I'm sure you shifted the input to firestick?
5) There is a lag in audio (Lip Sync) (Toshiba TV) which I observed yday while watching TENET (Movie).
There's a lip sync setting in the TV's audio settings which is set to some default value. Setting it to 0 fixes the error.

Are you wrong in the head! Why would a mentally sound person troll for no reason in an owner's thread for a TV he doesn't own.

Can you record a video of this phenomenon? I'm sure you shifted the input to firestick?

There's a lip sync setting in the TV's audio settings which is set to some default value. Setting it to 0 fixes the error.

Are you wrong in the head! Why would a mentally sound person troll for no reason in an owner's thread for a TV he doesn't own.
Ohh if the TV is to be blamed Im unsure on how to complain about this! (They customer service guys might say its fine!)..Anyways leaving this aside.

Yes i can record the video of this and share. (In couple of days please)
The inputs i got in the TV were for HDMI 1 , 2 3, I just randomly select / choose which HDMI I had connected and then prime profile page opens then it freezes!

Ok will certainly check the audio feature in the TV and set it to ZERO

Dear Members:
2) Hotstar is not available - I watch a lot of F1, so a bummer for me! (Hence had tried to connect the Firestick)
3) Have Panasonic old plasma (12 Yrs old) - have connected my Firestick to that again (The screen here has some grey areas, looks like the rocky mountains)
4) The brightness levels are high in Toshiba, my guess coming from Panasonic.

Any help is really appreciated, thank you.
Power for the fire TV stick should be from a plug point (If not).
All the cables should be tightly connected, else the screen will dim/blur and comes back (happened to me)

Power for the fire TV stick should be from a plug point (If not).
All the cables should be tightly connected, else the screen will dim/blur and comes back (happened to me)
Yes firestick runs thru the plug point. The HDMI port was a little hard to connect to the firestick, eventually it was connected well.

Believe me I tried to get hold of this TV just because of the hype and hoopla here. Even went to Parry's corner (Burma Bazaar) and Richie street and many TV dealers there who get imported Singapore stuff have unheard of this TV model and don't even sound so excited. It was not available anywhere and it was not so celebrated apart from this forum. Even if it was a rare gem, reviews would turn out positive. Not the case too. It is sheer hype for a caveat emptor brand. Maybe the grapes are sour effect is showing on me. Good luck guys in pursuit of this marvel.

Last edited:
The inputs i got in the TV were for HDMI 1 , 2 3, I just randomly select / choose which HDMI I had connected and then prime profile page opens then it freezes!
Oh, so you're getting output from firestick but it's freezing? In that case I don't think it's the TV's fault.

As long as you're getting output on the screen, the fault is either in firestick or there's some setting issue.

Oh, so you're getting output from firestick but it's freezing? In that case I don't think it's the TV's fault.

As long as you're getting output on the screen, the fault is either in firestick or there's some setting issue.
Ok yes, the out put is there just on the profile page it freezes.

Ok yes, the out put is there just on the profile page it freezes.
I would suggest to reset factory defaults on the TV and try again
Also check if the firestick is working properly with other devices.

Last edited:
Believe me I tried to get hold of this TV just because of the hype and hoopla here. Even went to Parry's corner (Burma Bazaar) and Richie street and many TV dealers there who get imported Singapore stuff have unheard of this TV model and don't even sound so excited. It was not available anywhere and it was not so celebrated apart from this forum. Even if it was a rare gem, reviews would turn out positive. Not the case too. It is sheer hype for a caveat emptor brand. Maybe the grapes are sour effect is showing on me. Good luck guys in pursuit of this marvel.
This particular model(u7980) is hisense h8f/R8 with a change is OS.it's quite popular in the US and Canada.
Please check rtings review
Please don't just bash on a product that you don't know completely.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back