Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

I usually set my firetvstick 4k to auto resolution and set the Plex app to auto switch resolution and frame rate. when I play any 4k HDR videos on Plex or 4khdr video on prime video everything seems ok but the the info button on Toshiba remote suggests it's paying an 8bit HDR video in both cases. I am not sure about prime video but 100% certain that video profile of files I play with Plex is 10bit.

Why is a 10 bit file shown as 8bit on toshiba any idea? By definition 10 in hdr10 specifiifes 10 bit.
Firestick 4K display setting should be forced to 2160p 60hz
Only then you will be getting true 10bit 4K HDR picture from Plex/netflix/prime or any streaming service but sacrificing DV
On auto the display resolution is limited to 1080p
A 10 bit file need not be 4K HDR , Few HEVC codec files are available in 10 bit 1080p
You might want to ask FM @lightgamer about the 10bit/8bit

Firestick 4K display setting should be forced to 2160p 60hz
Only then you will be getting true 10bit 4K HDR picture from Plex/netflix/prime or any streaming service but sacrificing DV
On auto the display resolution is limited to 1080p
A 10 bit file need not be 4K HDR , Few HEVC codec files are available in 10 bit 1080p
You might want to ask FM @lightgamer about the 10bit/8bit
Yes I know that I can force 2160p 60hz at 10/12 bit but that doesn't ensure that HDR video files are being decoded by firetvstick4k at 10bit

When you put everything to auto the 4k HDR (not DV) files play smoothly at UHD resolution but the native bit depth is shown as 8bit.

Thats my biggest concern is firetvstick 4k only displaying a maximum of native 8bits and just masking it with a forced 10bit/12bit color depth.?

Yes I know that I can force 2160p 60hz at 10/12 bit but that doesn't ensure that HDR video files are being decoded by firetvstick4k at 10bit

When you put everything to auto the 4k HDR (not DV) files play smoothly at UHD resolution but the native bit depth is shown as 8bit.

Thats my biggest concern is firetvstick 4k only displaying a maximum of native 8bits and just masking it with a forced 10bit/12bit color depth.?
Keep the bit depth on 10 bit under display settings on firestick 4K
Follow this -

You can check that in Plex. If your file is 10-bit, it will be getting transcoded to 8-bit otherwise.
There's something wrong in your settings then. In my case the 10 bit and HDR files are played back as 10 bit and same is shown in the I+ menu.

I'll add some screen grabs and settings here over the weekend. A bit busy this time of the year (financial year ending).
Yes, that is indeed a concern. But it would be stupid to do so unless the settings are wrong. Conversion from 10 to 8 bit requires additional processing.

Either there's something wrong with your TV settings (HDMI not set to enhanced for example), or the firestick settings.

I'll go over the debug guide when I get time (worst case Saturday).

You can check that in Plex. If your file is 10-bit, it will be getting transcoded to 8-bit otherwise.
Plex shows direct play ( no transcoding). Not only Plex even HDR content on prime video when played on the firetvstick the I+ menu shows 8bit HDR.
There's something wrong in your settings then. In my case the 10 bit and HDR files are played back as 10 bit and same is shown in the I+ menu.
When I force 2160p then the i+ menu on TV displays 10/12 bit correctly as selected in the firetvstick. But I when set resolution to auto the I+ menu always shows 8bit
I'll add some screen grabs and settings here over the weekend. A bit busy this time of the year (financial year ending).

Yes, that is indeed a concern. But it would be stupid to do so unless the settings are wrong. Conversion from 10 to 8 bit requires additional processing.

Either there's something wrong with your TV settings (HDMI not set to enhanced for example), or the firestick settings.

I'll go over the debug guide when I get time (worst case Saturday).
Thanx man will be waiting

When I force 2160p then the i+ menu on TV displays 10/12 bit correctly as selected in the firetvstick. But I when set resolution to auto the I+ menu always shows 8bit
Auto resolution doesn't work properly in firestick 4k. It forces 1080p 60 as well.

Auto resolution doesn't work properly in firestick 4k. It forces 1080p 60 as well.
It forces 1080p 60 only for Dolby vision content. SDR and hdr10 work just fine with accurate resolution and frame rate, just the bit depth even for HDR content is shown as 8bit.

Have also attached a screenshot from a 4k HDR prime video content( sorry for the lack of clarity) with everything set to auto, you can see it shows correctly the content frame rate and resolution but the bit depth is 8bit Hdr.

Attachments

• 20210303_210205.jpg
    20210303_210205.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 28
It forces 1080p 60 only for Dolby vision content. SDR and hdr10 work just fine with accurate resolution and frame rate, just the bit depth even for HDR content is shown as 8bit.

Have also attached a screenshot from a 4k HDR prime video content( sorry for the lack of clarity) with everything set to auto, you can see it shows correctly the content frame rate and resolution but the bit depth is 8bit Hdr.
Change the display settings
choose color depth 10 or 12
Thats it

Change the display settings
choose color depth 10 or 12
Thats it
That's not it.

As an analogy my airtel digital TV outputs 5.1 Dolby digital signal even for tv channels with streo audio.
My amp shows 5.1 DD but only 2 channels play rest all the channels are silent. This does not mean that I am recieving 5.1 audio it only means 2 channel audio is masked with a 5.1 signal.

Similarly I want to be sure that firetvstick outputs a true 10/12 bit signal and not just simply masks an 8bit signal with 10/12 bits signal.

Maybe it got fixed in an update. From the developer options of firestick I could see that it was locked to 1080p 60 on every single content earlier.

Didn't check the TV's I+ with that though. Will do a more thorough testing in a couple days.

Edit: I tested with a bunch of content right now.

So, the auto resolution and framerate work correctly only with Prime Video app. It doesn't work in Plex, it doesn't work on YouTube and it doesn't work on Netflix. Also even in Prime Video, it doesn't work properly as the bit-depth is limited to 8-bit instead of 10-12 with 4k 60 fixed mode.

As a proof of concept, here is a 4k HDR video (check the firestick interpreted stats in developer menu on the right) playing in Plex but it's limited to 1080p 60 output only:

IMG_20210303_215105.jpg
The 4k 60 forced mode works the best as I've said multiple times on this thread. The bit-depth works properly, HDR works properly and 4k works properly.

The auto mode needs a lot more work to be acceptable. If you are hell-bent on using this mode, best of luck from my side. But I can't help you.

Last edited:
I mean from the upcoming 2021 models
How will anyone know the answer to that? We don't have crystal balls you know.

Due to the India-China trade war, I don't see any low price FALD coming to India this year. The imports of raw material is very hard right now and hence you can neither import TV parts nor the full TV unless you're a tier-1 brand (which have gotten exemptions from govt.).

If we get something unexpected, that's great. But I won't put my hopes on it. The best-case scenario this year is the 20% decrease in OLED prices from last year, so we might get 55" LG C1 for ~85-90k during the Diwali season (after cashback offers)

Maybe it got fixed in an update. From the developer options of firestick I could see that it was locked to 1080p 60 on every single content earlier.

Didn't check the TV's I+ with that though. Will do a more thorough testing in a couple days.

Edit: I tested with a bunch of content right now.

So, the auto resolution and framerate work correctly only with Prime Video app. It doesn't work in Plex, it doesn't work on YouTube and it doesn't work on Netflix. Also even in Prime Video, it doesn't work properly as the bit-depth is limited to 8-bit instead of 10-12 with 4k 60 fixed mode.

As a proof of concept, here is a 4k HDR video (check the firestick interpreted stats in developer menu on the right) playing in Plex but it's limited to 1080p 60 output only:

View attachment 55176
The 4k 60 forced mode works the best as I've said multiple times on this thread. The bit-depth works properly, HDR works properly and 4k works properly.

The auto mode needs a lot more work to be acceptable. If you are hell-bent on using this mode, best of luck from my side. But I can't help you.
I only wanted to know if the forced resolution with 10/12 bit is actually what we are getting and is being displayed by I+ menu.

I just didn't want it to be a 10/12 bit output only for namesake. Because once set to 10/12 bit on a forced 4k resolution even 8bit SDR content will be displayed on a 10/12 bit color gamut but still the content will obviously only have 8bit of color info.

If we do actually get 10/12 bit, I'll gladly force the 4k60 and 12 bit output from the firetv stick

Last edited:
I only wanted to know if the forced resolution with 10/12 bit is actually what we are getting and is being displayed by I+ menu.

I just didn't want it to be a 10/12 bit output only for namesake. Because once set to 10/12 bit on a forced 4k resolution even 8bit SDR content will be displayed on a 10/12 bit color gamut but still the content will obviously only have 8bit of color info.
For SDR content, it's 8-bit content upscaled to 12-bit.

Basically firestick 4k on forced mode puts out everything at 4k 60 12-bit. If the content is lower than that, it'll be upscaled.
If we do actually get 10/12 bit, I'll gladly force the 4k60 and 12 bit output from the firetv stick
You will get 10-bit, as the content is 10-bit, it's getting decoded at 10-bit (else Plex will transcode it) and sent to TV as 12-bit (simple upscale). There's no point in the pipeline that shows it's getting downscaled.

12-bit is pointless as the TV itself only does 10-bit.

You should force the 4k 60 anyway because at auto resolution it anyway is downscaling to 8-bit.

There's still a possibility that it is getting downscaled to 8-bit internally but we can't verify that. Even developer options menu shows 10-bit to me on forced mode.

@Prameet BTW there's a big update with the whole UI change coming this month on firestick 4k. We might get the auto resolution + auto framerate working with that update.

I'll update on this thread when I get it. If that's fixed, we'll get DV at 4k working too with firestick.

Remember 1 thing this TV panel is 8bit + FRC

For SDR content, it's 8-bit content upscaled to 12-bit.

Basically firestick 4k on forced mode puts out everything at 4k 60 12-bit. If the content is lower than that, it'll be upscaled.

You will get 10-bit, as the content is 10-bit, it's getting decoded at 10-bit (else Plex will transcode it) and sent to TV as 12-bit (simple upscale). There's no point in the pipeline that shows it's getting downscaled.

12-bit is pointless as the TV itself only does 10-bit.

You should force the 4k 60 anyway because at auto resolution it anyway is downscaling to 8-bit.

There's still a possibility that it is getting downscaled to 8-bit internally but we can't verify that. Even developer options menu shows 10-bit to me on forced mode.
I'll gladly put it on a 4k60fps12bit forced mode now
@Prameet BTW there's a big update with the whole UI change coming this month on firestick 4k. We might get the auto resolution + auto framerate working with that update.

I'll update on this thread when I get it. If that's fixed, we'll get DV at 4k working too with firestick.
I hope that this is not just a superficial UI update but also an OS update to the same OS as in the 2020 fire tv sticks.

I am also hoping this brings Dolby Atmos support to netflix.
*Netflix website as of now says it doesn't offer Atmos on firetvstick 4k but offers Atmos on the 2020 firetvstick.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back