Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

Dolby Vision content works perfectly via external USB storage when playing through inbuilt media player
I have tested mandalorian s02e07 Dolby vision file showed me both DV and Dolby atmos logo
But when played through PLEX server [fire stick 4k] its playing HDR
is the TV showing DV logo? When i am playing DV titles in native netflix app, picture mode is getting converted to Dolby vision bright but i couldn't see DV logo anywhere.

nop it doesn't go away it is permanent there , no matter what I display these dark dots are present so what should I do ? i have a quite few of them i noticed these yesterday only when i tried to test 4k output performance of my laptop display , during the process i had to stay near close to the screen and then onky noticed these spots 6 on the lower side and 2 on halfway up the extreme right side the tv display what should i do ??take the replacement option ??
As I said, if you can't unsee them, i.e. forget that exist at all, do what a new buyer would do, return it if you think the next one will be better. Or maybe there is nothing to replace this with so you get the money back. I would return it personally as I keep these things for long.

yes you can play large files with inbuilt media player
i have tested few remux files as big as 75gb
but the player needs some polishing
Yes specially the subtitle part. I have TV from 2013 that can ready the srt file with the same file name as the video file and display the subtitles but this player fails to do so

is the TV showing DV logo? When i am playing DV titles in native netflix app, picture mode is getting converted to Dolby vision bright but i couldn't see DV logo anywhere.
The native app doesnt show DV logo it shows only Dolby Atmos logo when playing atmos content
But you can see Dolby Vision in settings menu-picture mode

Anyone here using 4k firestick? I am having one strange issue.

For dolby vision to work i have to set the display at Auto upto 2160p, but the prime and netflix playing at 1080p .
If i change the display setting to 2160p 60Hz , the videos are playing at 4k but on HDR10 .

Anyone one have similar issue? Or can help on this? I have connected the fire stick to HDMI 4 .

For dolby vision to work i have to set the display at Auto upto 2160p, but the prime and netflix playing at 1080p .
If i change the display setting to 2160p 60Hz , the videos are playing at 4k but on HDR10 .

Anyone one have similar issue? Or can help on this? I have connected the fire stick to HDMI 4 .
yes everyone facing the same issue with firestick 4k
its the problem with firestick

Found a solution for this. Press rewind and UP button for about 10 seconds, choose 4k at 30 Hz. As the contents we are watching are at 23FPS it wont make much difference. But now you can watch 4k and dolby vision together.

Found a solution for this. Press rewind and UP button for about 10 seconds, choose 4k at 30 Hz. As the contents we are watching are at 23FPS it wont make much difference. But now you can watch 4k and dolby vision together.
I thought the exact same thing earlier, and asked the same thing here. here is what @lightgamer has told me.

I can't emphasize this enough: Don't do it. First of all, forcing 4k 24 fps is a debugging option and not a default option provided. If you play any 30 Hz, 50 or 60Hz content, it will look wrong. Also, the firestick UI will look sluggish and choppy. On top of it, you'll only get 8-bits of colour depth which will degrade the quality much more than DV will improve over HDR 10.
The only sources of DV content are Netflix and Disney+hotstar. For Netflix, you can use the inbuilt app, and Disney+hotstar will also come to the TV in a couple of months. TBH, Hotstar has such a shit bitrate that DV, HDR10 or SDR doesn't really matter as the image looks bad and blocky anyway.

as @lightgamer said, it's not a good way for watching dolby vision contents. the fps will be wonky, the bit rate will be lower, its just a debug option so i too don't recommend this method.

Prices hiked, 55" at 49k now and 65" 8080 to 1lac. Temporary unavailability logo notwithstanding.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210111-141310.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-141310.jpg
    657.9 KB · Views: 59
In u7980 Local dimming for Dolby vision content cannot be set, which I usually set to high for normal hdr10 content, as a result when watching Dolby vision content I don't see deep blacks but dark Greys. I watched manadalorian in Dolby vision and same episode in HDR 10, and I found much better blacks in the hdr10 version when I set local dimming to high. Any solution for this issue?

In u7980 Local dimming for Dolby vision content cannot be set, which I usually set to high for normal hdr10 content, as a result when watching Dolby vision content I don't see deep blacks but dark Greys. I watched manadalorian in Dolby vision and same episode in HDR 10, and I found much better blacks in the hdr10 version when I set local dimming to high. Any solution for this issue?
I have been facing exactly same issue. So what I currently do is, decrease the brightness to around 47. This improves the blacks little bit.

The lifted blacks on DV content is due to the curve a lot of OEMs are using, and it's a widespread issue with the DV content itself. Even LG has only recently fixed it on their OLEDs a couple of weeks back. Even if local dimming is off, blacks should be much darker than what they are.

I just watch everything on firestick, so it's HDR10 only. DV is just a pain to be honest.
I have been facing exactly same issue. So what I currently do is, decrease the brightness to around 47. This improves the blacks little bit.
This will fix the issue, but you'll lose near black detail in a lot of scenes too. Better to just watch the episode in HDR10.

Last edited:
The lifted blacks on DV content is due to the curve a lot of OEMs are using, and it's a widespread issue with the DV content itself. Even LG has only recently fixed it on their OLEDs a couple of weeks back. Even if local dimming is off, blacks should be much darker than what they are.

I just watch everything on firestick, so it's HDR10 only. DV is just a pain to be honest.

This will fix the issue, but you'll lose near black detail in a lot of scenes too. Better to just watch the episode in HDR10.
to be honest even if we ignore the black levels, even in bright scenes I didn't find any between the hdr10 and DV versions. I'll also stick to hdr10 for now.
Better to stick to hdr10 instead of lowering the brightness, imo.

to be honest even if we ignore the black levels, even in bright scenes I didn't find any between the hdr10 and DV versions. I'll also stick to hdr10 for now.
Dolby Vision will only help when the content is mastered way above the TV's peak brightness. For example, say a TV is 300 nits but the content is mastered for 1000 nits, that will be a problem because either the TV will dim everything to look right or blow up highlights. Dolby Vision has scene by scene metadata which helps choose the correct compromise to make based on the scene.

Since this TV is 700 nits, any content mastered below 1000 nits will look just fine. It's only the very rare 4000 nit mastered content that will cause issues. Dolby Vision is more of a necessity on low brightness TVs.

The TV seems to be out of stock everywhere as far as online is concerned. Reliance digital/Amazon/Flipkart/Croma/Tata Cliq - available nowhere.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back