Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

Enjoy, digging your tv wall setup it will look real nice after installation.
the setup is not completed yet I will post after the full completed setup , I don't know how it will look after it ...

coming to the TV hands down best under 85k , and for the price I paid 50,560 for 55inch including 3 year extended warranty , there is nothing out there like this unless they introduce mini led under 1 lakh which seems pretty impossible in India as per the marketting style of all companies , our only hope is hisense which doesn't play by the conventional market rules

hats off to hisense which introduced this TV under 75k

Hey, never wanted to read this one but this is clearly a common defect called out in YouTube reviews for the 65 inchers of u7980. Im assuming it's more of a software rendering thing as it's happening with menu for all. Can 55 incher guys confirm. Video at 3:00 for issue
bro sadly I gotta confirm I have a 55 inch variant and yes it is there, I just got my TV installed today after spending few hours with it , i got to see something similar for a 1-2sec when messing around at the backlighting level menu ( i have onky seen it there only , when swtichig randomly from one level to another ) while playing hdr10 4k content from my external hdd.

atleast this is the scenario in which I got to see the same . i will check the same situation with other tabs in picture menu while performing the same task and confirm again

How do you adjust the motion issues? I have tried motion smoothness off as @lightgamer suggested. But it became worse for me. 'smooth' is somewhat ok, but terrible when more items are moving in the frame. Any help?

How do you adjust the motion issues? I have tried motion smoothness off as @lightgamer suggested. But it became worse for me. 'smooth' is somewhat ok, but terrible when more items are moving in the frame. Any help?
Well, ultra smooth motion to off is the best I found. Most of the content you'll be watching is 24 fps. So it is not supposed to be smooth in the first place. You need at least 30 fps content to get somewhat smooth.

Turn motion smoothing off and just watch the TV for a day or two. Then you'll see that you won't notice the slight judder in 24 fps content.

Well, ultra smooth motion to off is the best I found. Most of the content you'll be watching is 24 fps. So it is not supposed to be smooth in the first place. You need at least 30 fps content to get somewhat smooth.

Turn motion smoothing off and just watch the TV for a day or two. Then you'll see that you won't notice the slight judder in 24 fps content.

@anoopvk268 I'm also doing the same thing anything above smooth destroys the viewing experience

so I had turned it off while watching the very first video on my TV.

these two pics are future buyers these are upscaled from 480p & 720p respectively what you see is after colour calibration.

IMG_20201231_183738.jpgIMG_20201231_224742.jpg

Last edited:

Trying now with smooth motion turned off.

Is this a hardware limitation or software issue? I felt other cheaper TV's have better motion responses.

Trying now with smooth motion turned off.

Is this a hardware limitation or software issue? I felt other cheaper TV's have better motion responses.
Cheaper TVs from Sony for example will have better motion, but Xiaomi, OnePlus etc do worse than this TV as I've seen. Depends on what you dislike as well.

For me, motion blur doesn't matter as much so this TV doesn't bother me. Judder on the other hand bothers me a lot which this TV does well with. A lot of other cheap TVs do really bad with judder.

Cant tell much, good/no good per you?
@anoopvk268 I believe anything above smooth will make the video feel very artificial specially movies .

upscaling in terms of the given price range hell yeah..... the best upscaling I've ever seen was from Sony I myself owned one for the past 10 years so upscaling was better in that and now also even with their current models their old flagship picture processors are now coming down to budget segment so SONY would be the best but given this TV as a whole package and considering the price range I gotta say its good. ( considering xiaomi , vu and all other shit brands which do terrible upscaling).

The only thing I wish for is that they could have offered us access to choose the colour space on which we watch content in and also included support for apps like hotstar and disnep+ instead of planning to add it via a future software update , this is the only thing that never made sense to me as when a company is launching a product in a specific localilty they should atleast be aware of the necessary streaming platforms used by the customers of the same market , I believe hotstar is widely used by Indians as a alternative to DTH , so they should have at least added that even if they ditched disnep+

Last edited:
If I play a file that has only one true hd+Dolby Atmos sound track(no secondary ac-3 codec)in this TV via hdd, will it be able to play the sound of the file. Also if I send this audio via arc/optical as passthrough from the the TV to the avr what codec will the avr receive as true hd cannot be passed through arc/optical?

If I play a file that has only one true hd+Dolby Atmos sound track(no secondary ac-3 codec)in this TV via hdd, will it be able to play the sound of the file. Also if I send this audio via arc/optical as passthrough from the the TV to the avr what codec will the avr receive as true hd cannot be passed through arc/optical?
@lightgamer help please.

If you have such a track, please try playing and sharing whether it does instead of asking. We'll all gain insight. However, regarding True HD this TV won't play it. And honestly, there's no point of playing True HD on this TV as you can't pass-through it via ARC or optical anyway.

To play True HD tracks, either you can use Plex which will use your Plex server to do the transcode in real-time. Alternatively, you can REMUX the file on the PC and make an additional E-AC3 track (if you don't know how to do it, PM me any time over the weekend and I can show you).

If you have such a track, please try playing and sharing whether it does instead of asking. We'll all gain insight. However, regarding True HD this TV won't play it. And honestly, there's no point of playing True HD on this TV as you can't pass-through it via ARC or optical anyway.

To play True HD tracks, either you can use Plex which will use your Plex server to do the transcode in real-time. Alternatively, you can REMUX the file on the PC and make an additional E-AC3 track (if you don't know how to do it, PM me any time over the weekend and I can show you).
I'll download the the file and post a screenshot. Actually it was a whopping 22gigs file. Didn't want to waste all the time and effort to download it and later find out it has no sound , so just wanted to be sure.Hope I hear some sound instead of none at all.

I'll download the the file and post a screenshot. Actually it was a whopping 22gigs file. Didn't want to waste all the time and effort to download it and later find out it has no sound , so just wanted to be sure.Hope I hear some sound instead of none at all.
Don't download it in that case. The TV won't play it. I was just speaking in general. You'll need to transcode it and that will lose Atmos.

Don't download it in that case. The TV won't play it. I was just speaking in general. You'll need to transcode it and that will lose Atmos.
I took the risk and downloaded it. The TV did decode the trurehd signal and passed it on as Dolby digital to my avr via optical cable. Although the information button when pressed displays unknown in the audio format and codec tab. My avr was displaying Dolby digital and playing 5.1 audio

guys has anyone present in this fourm ever got a replay from Toshiba after writing to them , I've written emails to them regarding the software update 3weeks ago and still haven't received any sort of response back from them ...

guys has anyone present in this fourm ever got a replay from Toshiba after writing to them , I've written emails to them regarding the software update 3weeks ago and still haven't received any sort of response back from them ...
Just getting hold of this TV form Toshiba is a hard task and an achievement. Getting a reply from Toshiba would count as a miracle

Just getting hold of this TV form Toshiba is a hard task and an achievement. Getting a reply from Toshiba would count as a miracle
Aren't the owners of this TV concerned about Toshiba's after sales service?

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back