Join the party: Mumbai HFV Meet 2011!

WHY NO TABLES
in fact i like the idea of sitting in a group
rather than like an auditorium in school - in a line

tables also good idea to eat no?

well unless we have to pay way extra or employ some event mgr

I was there for a brief period with Santy and Dave and everyone must thank them for pushing them hard for the meet.
Good work

My thoughts

This meet we will focuss on 2 channel as video is very complicated , difficult to benchmark and very tedious to set up

we wnnt to reduce setup and changeover time as less as possible , so suggestions welcome in this direction

here we are doing paid preparation so people please start confirming from noew on

Some support we need

speaker Stands
good quality speaker cables - 8 strands 3 m each - for fasst changeover ( anyone hve this?)

test track - we will decide much in advance . also will keepmit ready in flac t

need a hindi test track - which is availble on vinyl too - any suggestiopn? support?

need another guys nearby to come forward for helping..

WHY NO TABLES
in fact i like the idea of sitting in a group
rather than like an auditorium in school - in a line

tables also good idea to eat no?

well unless we have to pay way extra or employ some event mgr

Let us take consensus on Tables requirements. If majority agree, fine. No way extra payment or event manager required for that:rolleyes:

PS: Magma, would appreciate if you can arrange to get some of your creations along for use & also for us fellow members to have a look at them in the flesh. Hope you oblige :)

I was there for a brief period with Santy and Dave and everyone must thank them for pushing them hard for the meet.
Good work

My thoughts

This meet we will focuss on 2 channel as video is very complicated , difficult to benchmark and very tedious to set up

we wnnt to reduce setup and changeover time as less as possible , so suggestions welcome in this direction

here we are doing paid preparation so people please start confirming from noew on

Some support we need

speaker Stands
good quality speaker cables - 8 strands 3 m each
- for fasst changeover ( anyone hve this?)

need a hindi test track - which is availble on vinyl too - any suggestiopn? support?

Lots of Issues raised;
I will address them in the same order.

a] I live to 2 channel - 5.1 & Video does not interest me - so this is a step in the right direction - :clapping:

b] Why Stands ? Will we only use Stand Mount Speakers ? Mine are Floor Standers & I will not need any stands for them.

c] Please do try for the 12th - will really be good for me - 18th I will be on Family Vacation - Son & Wife are on holiday & we will be travelling - will not be in a position to come - I want to be a part of this - please...

d] Songs - Demo Tracks - I have enlisted my choices in the excel SS - I can get some music in CD & on the HDD - Flac & Pure Wave. I may a some to share too - so please do let me know.

What I want to listen to is :-
Tutti - Dead Man Walking - Seal - Eva - Mary Black - Patricia Barber - Tina Turner - Sheffield - Yello - ECM - Jan Garbarek - Gundecha Brothers - John Lee Hooker - Hans Theesink - Manger Test - Burmester Test - Tag McLaren Test - Chanda Dhara [Indian Classical] Chris Rea - Frank Sinatra - Dire Straits - Classical [Western] Assorted - list is too long. Michael Jackson - etc. etc. etc. I will get my CD's along....

More in a bit...

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
PS: Magma, would appreciate if you can arrange to get some of your creations along for use & also for us fellow members to have a look at them in the flesh. Hope you oblige :)

hmmm
will see what i can do once its decided/confirmed what we need

Dont want to carry heavy equip if not needed

Thanks guys

Just to clarify the objectives of this meet:
- To enjoy being together with fellow audiophiles and newbies in HiFi, a social gathering
- To understand how our existing setup pitches against other setups in similar budget
- To post honest, practical demos/reviews and help budding audiphiles (on forum) to decide on which system to buy/ upgrade to
- To understand the extent of variation in signature of music produced by different systems
- To improve our listening skills by judicial use of ranking mechanism.
- To know how much difference a more expensive system can produce and in what areas the improvements are seen
- To enjoy plenty of HiFi music, good food and friendly chatting. :D

@Raghav

Welcome bro. Please fill up the attendance sheet. :)

@Magma
Please try to bring a pair of stands (in dismantled state if required).

We will avoid Violet if possible since the meet is focussed on music and also setting up

the system / caibrating it will be tedious. We can however keep it under reserve and play it if time permits.

IMHO, the party style seating arrangement may not be ideal because
- most listeners prefer to sit at equi-distance from both speakers
- tables will push many away from the stage, so details will be lost at far off distances
- tables leads to groups so there's more talking than listening
- listening will become casual so ranking is bound to be inaccurate.
- more time will be consumed for lunch. :D

So as Hemant suggested, we will go for theatre style with triangular formation

@Shanti
12th Dec is Monday so hardly anyone will turn up. Moreover, many have already started planning their schedules considering 18th Dec for the

meet. Infact we have blocked the hall for 18th Dec after initial feedback received. Do not know if it is available for 1th which again is

too early to plan and put up a good show. We have confirmed the date to SuperMod also. Don't worry, if you :(

Reg. Demo tracks, we feel that we should only play them for 90 seconds maximum, not the full length. Last time fatigue had set in pretty

quickly. However the personal choice of the member offering demo can be played fully (maximum two tracks).

@Shanti
12th Dec is Monday so hardly anyone will turn up. Moreover, many have already started planning their schedules considering 18th Dec for the

quickly. However the personal choice of the member offering demo can be played fully (maximum two tracks).

I am sorry;

11th then.

Any Sunday works fine.

18th will not be possible for me.
I will be on vacation.

Do try for the 11th

Reg. Demo tracks, we feel that we should only play them for 90 seconds maximum, not the full length. Last time fatigue had set in pretty quickly. However the personal choice of the member offering demo can be played fully (maximum two tracks).

Sir,
This I did not understand;
Please do shed some light.
Piano Recital / Indian Classical in 90 seconds - How ?

If time is a 'constraint' we can work on a 10 track demo - mix of different peoples request.

Hemant,

I could get the speaker stands

Modsy

Good work

My thoughts

Some support we need

speaker Stands
good quality speaker cables - 8 strands 3 m each - for fasst changeover ( anyone hve this?)

Sir,
This I did not understand;
Please do shed some light.
Piano Recital / Indian Classical in 90 seconds - How ?

If time is a 'constraint' we can work on a 10 track demo - mix of different peoples request.

Hi Shanti,

What Santy is trying to say is that it would be ideal if we listen to the 2 tracks which will be constant for all gears on review, for a shorter duration rather than the complete length, the reason being that 1 does not get fatigued @ listening to the same tracks in their entirety & there by avoiding less enthusiasm/boredom from participants/reviewers. This will also help us in reviewing the gears more rapidly & that there is sufficient opportunity given to the owner of that specific gear to show case the strength of his set-up, by playing 2 tracks of his choice. Makes sense, right???

Hope you can make it to the meet, as there are quite a few who would like to see Shanti in the flesh & also experience the 'Hi-End' gear that you will bring :D

Lots of Issues raised;
I will address them in the same order.

a] I live to 2 channel - 5.1 & Video does not interest me - so this is a step in the right direction - :clapping:

b] Why Stands ? Will we only use Stand Mount Speakers ? Mine are Floor Standers & I will not need any stands for them.

c] Please do try for the 12th - will really be good for me - 18th I will be on Family Vacation - Son & Wife are on holiday & we will be travelling - will not be in a position to come - I want to be a part of this - please...

d] Songs - Demo Tracks - I have enlisted my choices in the excel SS - I can get some music in CD & on the HDD - Flac & Pure Wave. I may a some to share too - so please do let me know.

What I want to listen to is :-

More in a bit...

:rolleyes:

Shanti,

Point by point reply from myself & the other organisers of Mumbai Meet:

a) Yes strictly 2 channel meet :yahoo: Hope that makes you a happy bunny:lol:

b) Stands for Book Shelf Speakers which will also be on review. Incidentally great that your speakers are floor standers, tried to research on your speakers but did not get any info on them from the net:cool:

c) Majority of the attendees are cool with the 18th, hence we have gone ahead & booked the hall for this date. If at all any other date is to be finalised, I think it needs to be done within a day or 2 else we shall fix the 18th as FINAL date! Sorry but otherwise we will not be able to have a meet & already we have lost lot of time for hosting the 1st proper MUMBAI HI-FI MEET:mad:

d) Pls do bring whatever you have on CD, FLAC format, it will be most appreciated by 1 & all & you may choose 2 of your favourite tracks to showcase your set-up. As for sharing, well it would be most kind of you if you would allow us to have some of your collection:clapping:

Best Regards
:)

hmmm
will see what i can do once its decided/confirmed what we need

Dont want to carry heavy equip if not needed

Thanks for agreeing for the same. Yes, your BS stands will most definitely be required & atleast 1 heavy duty rack of yours. Pls do bring these, as it most certainly will be appreciated.

Hope you can make it to the meet, as there are quite a few who would like to see Shanti in the flesh & also experience the 'Hi-End' gear that you will bring :D

I too want to come;

However, 18th is not possible for me.
Family Vacation.

If it happens on 11th [Sunday] it will be nice.

I will surely get a little bit of gear - to play - I have filled the excel ss with details.

Demo part I will write about - only if I can come. I have enlisted my demo tracks in the excel ss too.

will get some decent stands
Rack - i will try
the raksang or theta racks will give me a hernia if i carry it

will either try and get the alpha or BETA or will see if prototyping on a new rack is complete
If yes i will get the new DELTA rack for unveiling

Shanti,

Pls do bring whatever you have on CD, FLAC format, it will be most appreciated by 1 & all & you may choose 2 of your favourite tracks to showcase your set-up. As for sharing, well it would be most kind of you if you would allow us to have some of your collection:clapping:

Sir,

11th [if it is on] I will come;

However, I did not understand - please do shed some light;
How do I get my CD's [I have 5 K of them] !
Even if I could get music on a 500 GB HDD - how will it get copied ?
We do not have the time to transfer & make copies - kindly sed some light;;

Even if I use 1 CD per genre of music - I will need at least 8 CD's to demo / audition / evaluate any other person's audio system....

• Male Vocal
    [*]Female Vocal
    [*]Western Classical - Vocal
    [*]Western Classical - Symphonic
    [*]Western Classical - Quartet
    [*]Indian Classical - Vocal
    [*]Indian Classical - Instrumental
    [*]Pop
    [*]Electronic
    [*]Bass - Test Track

Sir,

11th [if it is on] I will come;

However, I did not understand - please do shed some light;
How do I get my CD's [I have 5 K of them] !
Even if I could get music on a 500 GB HDD - how will it get copied ?
We do not have the time to transfer & make copies - kindly sed some light;;

Even if I use 1 CD per genre of music - I will need at least 8 CD's to demo / audition / evaluate any other person's audio system....

• Male Vocal
    [*]Female Vocal
    [*]Western Classical - Vocal
    [*]Western Classical - Symphonic
    [*]Western Classical - Quartet
    [*]Indian Classical - Vocal
    [*]Indian Classical - Instrumental
    [*]Pop
    [*]Electronic
    [*]Bass - Test Track

Shanti,

The onus is on picking 2 of your favourite tracks!!! If at all we end up having spare time we shall try to listen to as much of the tracks that yourself & the other participants would like to hear, so there :)

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back