Samsung PS51E550 Plasma Group Buy - Interest check

Thanks for letting us know.

So friends from Pune, is anyone of you thinking of buying this TV? Let's try for a group buy deal.

Oh! So is the free blue ray player offer valid till 31st Aug only?

I've planned to buy this TV the next month during Ganesh festival. Hoping that there will be better offers during the festival season.

Friends from Pune, please let me know what is the best price you are being quoted recently for this TV? Are there some other members from Pune who are planning to buy this TV? May be, we can negotiate a better deal as group buy. I'm ready to buy this TV this month itself (with finance option) if good deal is on offer.

@curious: I have almost zeroed in on 51E470 as I am not interested in 3D. At what price are you getting 550 ? are there any difference between 470 and 550 apart from 3D ? ie quality of panel , picture quality etc ? If I get good financing and if its compelling buy, I may consider 550.

@curious: I have almost zeroed in on 51E470 as I am not interested in 3D. At what price are you getting 550 ? are there any difference between 470 and 550 apart from 3D ? ie quality of panel , picture quality etc ? If I get good financing and if its compelling buy, I may consider 550.

470 is 1028*768 while 550 is FHD. Thats the major difference. Then there is built in Wifi and 3D.

I got it for 73,400 with 2 3D Glasses from Baner and waiting for BD player.

Wall installation with free Wall mount is free from the Samsung for the first time. They will charge Rs.500 for another installation.
Free BD player will take around 1 month.

I could play Full HD 2D and 3D movies from external portable HDD without any issue. 2D to 3D conversion is not bad but native 3D movies depth and popup effect is very good. I tried downloaded Avatar 3D and 3D videos from YouTube 3D channels.
Web Browser is also very handy and support Flash, 3 Tabs, bookmarks, popup blocker. You can also connect USB keyboard & Mouse and wireless (RF/BT) keyboard should also work. Samsung remote app on Android phone (using on Galaxy S2) is very handy for typing and support full remote functions.

AllShare/DLNA is working like champ on my wireless LAN (G). I could play Full HD content (mkv, avi, flv, mpeg4) from Laptop without any jerk. Many free apps are there in Samsung App store. This TV has internal storage of 1 GB for Apps.

It has Game Mode and my Son is enjoying Wii games (from USB connected to Wii with Homebrew Channel :)) without any issue.
I couldnt verify Anynet+ as I dont have other Samsung product.
No major issue with reflection. Sound from the TV speakers is not bad at all.
Overall Im very happy with this TV.

Last edited:
Thanks Techila for the useful info.

Some questions though:
1. When did you buy this TV?
2. What is the max. external HD size that this TV supports?
3. Any shortcomings that you noticed (like buzzing, not being able to play certain types of files etc)?
4. Are the 3D glasses, that come with the TV, rechargable?
5. Is there any option (from Samsung or the retailer or the finance co.) for extended warranty?

@sankyindia: BLASTO pretty much covered all the major differences.

I've not visited any shop yet to get quotes as I had planned to buy this TV in Sept (during Ganesh festival). However, as the BD player offer is ending on 31st Aug, I'm thinking of buying it this month itself. I'll start visiting shops soon. Just wanted to get an idea about the price range that I should target for.

It was offered for 69K to ontherocks in June. And Techila bought it for 73.4K (not sure when). It gave me some idea about the price I should look for. However, I'm sure we'll get a better deal for group buy.

okay...

I think I will stick to my requirements and go for 51E470. Getting it for 55K with 15 EMIs and Rs.208 down payment. Just trying to find out if there is any advance EMI or other condition for this. If there is no such thing, may end up booking on Wednesday itself.

Sanket.

okay...

I think I will stick to my requirements and go for 51E470. Getting it for 55K with 15 EMIs and Rs.208 down payment. Just trying to find out if there is any advance EMI or other condition for this. If there is no such thing, may end up booking on Wednesday itself.

Sanket.

From where are you buying it? Can you please check with the dealer the asking price for 51E550 and let me know?

Vijay Sales Satara Road. Actually, others have run out of this particular stock and are not willing to book and arrange it. Whereas this one is willing to ! But he has not yet confirmed, he was to talk to Company to confirm me. Going to call him tomorrow too. Do you think we may get it for <= 70 K ? But it is said, that after 7/8 feet, one cant differentiate between HD and FHD ... is 3D your priority ?

Thanks Techila for the useful info.

Some questions though:
1. When did you buy this TV?
2. What is the max. external HD size that this TV supports?
3. Any shortcomings that you noticed (like buzzing, not being able to play certain types of files etc)?
4. Are the 3D glasses, that come with the TV, rechargable?
5. Is there any option (from Samsung or the retailer or the finance co.) for extended warranty?

1. End of July.
2. I verified 80GB, max supported size is 3TB.
3. No buzzing and I could play most of the common formats.
4. 3D glasses SSG-4100GB are not rechargeable and has coin cell.
5. No extended warranty from Samsung. I will check with Bajaj Finance.

Vijay Sales Satara Road. Actually, others have run out of this particular stock and are not willing to book and arrange it. Whereas this one is willing to ! But he has not yet confirmed, he was to talk to Company to confirm me. Going to call him tomorrow too. Do you think we may get it for <= 70 K ? But it is said, that after 7/8 feet, one cant differentiate between HD and FHD ... is 3D your priority ?

I think, we should be able to get it close to 70K. And I think, we can try for a better deal even if we are buying different models.

3D is not my priority as such. Just wanted to be future proof as I'll be using this TV for atleast 5 years. Our existing Samsung CRT TV is working perfectly fine for 10 years now. I hope, this TV too lasts till I decide to replace it with a better TV in future.

Last edited:

@SankyIndia..

The E490 model is 3D and comes with BRD player. It is just 4k more (59k in hyderabad) and comes with 3D, glasses and most importantly 3D BRD player which is very current and costs 12k.

That is 4k well spent. Ask for this particular model in vijay sales. 51E490. The panel and other things are same.

You need not pursue the E550 if yu dont need FHD and wifi.

@SankyIndia..

The E490 model is 3D and comes with BRD player. It is just 4k more (59k in hyderabad) and comes with 3D, glasses and most importantly 3D BRD player which is very current and costs 12k.

That is 4k well spent. Ask for this particular model in vijay sales. 51E490. The panel and other things are same.

You need not pursue the E550 if yu dont need FHD and wifi.

I concur with the above post.

Smart features, internet, etc., are novelty, initial euphoria, type usp's. After three months or so, you will even forget that these exist. My tv is less than a month old and apart from dlna, I have not even bothered about smart tv.

I would gladly increase the budget by 4/5 k if I was going to get a 3D tv + 3d bdp in the bargain.

I would go for E550 for fhd and better pq.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

E550 has better < 2D > PQ than E470/490 ?

I agree that 4 K is better spent on E490 if getting 3D + BDP.

Problem is, in Pune 51E490 is selling for 65 K vs 51E4701(55K) :(

If E550 having better 2D PQ then that seems better deal if could be obtained for <=70 K (because for my requirement MRP/15 is affordable :) )

Last edited:

If E550 having better 2D PQ then that seems better deal if could be obtained for <=70 K (because for my requirement MRP/15 is affordable :) )

65k is too much.. 66k is mrp.. It is just 3k costlier than the 470. Check,
Television-Plasma TV | SAMSUNG India

Go for e550 if you can get it for 70K... however at most places, its available at 75k+. Try more places in Pune for 490 and see if 60k is possible..

51E490 at Reliance Digital, Inorbit just went up to 65K from 62.1K

No status update on 51E550 availability even after multiple visits and call back promises.

Samsung store opposite Cyber Towers quotes 78K for 51E550.

I called a couple of Reliance digital stores (Phoenix mall and Kumar Pacific mall) and one Vijay Sales store (Kharadi) today to ask about E550 avaialability. None of them have it in stock.

Friends from Pune, do you know the shops who have this model in stock? I'll try to visit some shops during coming long weekend.

For those who are lining up to buy the Samsung PS51E550D1R, this is to let you know that it is not advisable to wall mount this tv or use it within a closed cabinet. The heat generation from this set is quite high after extended use.

The good news is, What Hi Fi have given this set a 5 Star rating under the category Big Screen Bargain. I quote the pros and cons from What Hi Fi,

For : Steal of a price; good list of features; online content; clean, crisp, colorful pictures.

Against : Average sound; gives away a little detail to to the very best TV's.

Having spent a considerable amount of time with my first Samsung tv, I have to say that I am simply blown away. I am Philips fan and have only owned a Philips tv because I love the picture quality. I was very hesitant to buy a Samsung. The E550 makes me want to think I have a Philips tv. That is how good the picture is. The black levels are excellent and the color tone is spot on. You do need to bring down the color level to something like 35%. The 3D, though active shutter, is not as much a strain on the eye as I thought it would be. The 3D is excellent too. The glasses are very light. Wi Fi works flawlessly except that typing from a remote is a pain. It is responsive but still. Pictures from Tata Sky HD are fantastic too. At the asking price, I would not look at any other television. It is really that good.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back