Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

Guys, I'm in tamilnadu.I was planning to buy 65u7980. Thought of getting it in reliance digital (68990) as it comes with 3 years manufacturer warranty and also card offers. But it seems that it's out of stock in the shop for tamilnadu.

But right now it's available for 65000 in flipkart with delivery to my place. If we add the full protection that flipkart offers, it comes to 70000. With the card offers it comes down to 68450.

My query is
Is it better to prefer the manufacturer warranty and wait for better and future deals and availability in relaince digital (I've to travel 100km to get it from the shop)
Or
Is it better to prefer the flipkart total protection and get it from fk itself and get it delivered to home?

Please, those with prior experience with FK total protect, please comment and help

Why we are having soundbar discussion in this thread?
Because its related.tv owners want to discuss sound so they are discussing soundbars.next topic might be hdmi cables for toshiba tv or tv stand or color of wall for toshiba tvs and its all related so no worry.

I used to find relevant discussion on this forum.But nowdays there is no structure and discipline.people just discuss randomly left right and center in all the threads.God knows what mods are doing and why allowing this.we do have a dedicated home theatre section.

Imagine tomorrow people will discuss tv in the home theatre section and will give the same logic oh now we are the owners of so and so soundbars so we are discussing tvs its all related

Look at this thread only so many posts on viewing angles because 2 guys wanted to show off. it just shows knowledge is useless if you don't have common sense.

This happens mainly in Toshiba forum only. 4 days back They were talking about viewing angles. I think some people here should open a thread called my knowledge and start show off there.

The Samsung T45E(same as HW-T450 but for the online market I guess) is selling for ₹10k right now on Amazon. from that, the Q60T isn't much of an upgrade and costs 2.8x more. Yes, you get more channels and more volume, but not that much more clarity (check the review of rtings of T450 v/s Q60T). The Q60R is also a minor step up from the Q60T, but it's not deliverable in my area.

Samsung Q800T has gone for as low as ₹29999 on flipkart a month ago (checked using a pricing history website). So if you're ready to wait, there may be a similar deal on Diwali on that.

At this point, I'm just contemplating getting the T45E now and wait for a deal on a very good soundbar next year(something like Q800T/Q900T). The deals this year suck and this TV has fairly awful speakers, so the T45E will be an amazing upgrade from these anyway

Hi, Please Dont buy T45E its not good, I already had a listening sesssion, the Q60T is not just an upgrade, its a major Upgrade its actual 5.1 channel speaker and samsung Accoustic beam is not a gimmic, I have experianed it and it is awsome in surround mode, please go and listen for yourself in Samsung Plaza near buy or reliance digital, it has a dedicated centre and also HDMI ARC in and out port both are missing in T45E as it has no HDMI ARC, but still Q60T is not the best bang for the buck because the Sony HTS500RF was very good and powerfull but too many wires was an issue, I would say please listen before you buy any sound bar because most of the sound bar fails in dailogue delivery, which is very important, Im also waiting for a good price for Samsung Q800T in which just adding a pair of surround will make it a 5.1.2 sound system.

This is the best budget soundbar with ARC to upgrade a crappy TV speaker, I got it for my sister some time ago an it was very good for the price and has HDMI ARC. it is out of stock all the time, yesterday it was in Stock but now its not available. now it is available in Tata qlic

Last edited:
Because its related.tv owners want to discuss sound so they are discussing soundbars.next topic might be hdmi cables for toshiba tv or tv stand or color of wall for toshiba tvs and its all related so no worry.
This thread is TV owners discussion, not the TV discussion alone. Soundbars are a TV accessory, not a standalone product. So it's only fair to discuss them here. If there was a section discussing soundbars on the website, I'd have posted it there. Unfortunately there isn't.

Soundbars would be just as off topic of a discussion on TV section as they would be on home theatre or speaker section.

BTW, if someone is having trouble with getting the right HDMI cable for this TV, or can't get the TV stand properly done or wants help with the TV on his wall/home decor that would be fair game on this thread according to me.

Similarly, if someone is having trouble getting firestick working, would that also be off-topic according to you? For me that's on topic on this thread as it's a TV accessory.

You disagree, and that's fine. Just ignore that discussion if you can. Regardless, the soundbar discussion was quite small and I'm sorry if it bothered you.

I used to find relevant discussion on this forum.But nowdays there is no structure and discipline.people just discuss randomly left right and center in all the threads.God knows what mods are doing and why allowing this.we do have a dedicated home theatre section.
As I mentioned above, soundbars are not Home Theatres. Have you read the discussions there on soundbar threads? They all hate soundbars and just push you for AVR + surround setup which isn't possible in my house.

Home theaters are separate devices on their own. A soundbar is not. Soundbar is closely related to TV, much closer than it is to a HT setup.

Well, at least that's my reasoning. If you disagree, sorry you had to read through off topic discussion.
Imagine tomorrow people will discuss tv in the home theatre section and will give the same logic oh now we are the owners of so and so soundbars so we are discussing tvs its all related
If it's an owner discussion thread that should be fine, no?
Look at this thread only so many posts on viewing angles because 2 guys wanted to show off. it just shows knowledge is useless if you don't have common sense.
That I regret, and my deepest sorry you had to read through that. We can't delete comments here, else I'd have deleted those. But I really tried to end it and said it's off topic multiple times. Also, I was the one who stopped replying to that guy, else it would have gone for even longer.

Again, sorry for that discussion. It should not have happened. It was petty, stupid and contributed nothing.

I Agree With you Sir, I will refrain from posting irrelevant topic in the future.

This thread is TV owners discussion, not the TV discussion alone. Soundbars are a TV accessory, not a standalone product. So it's only fair to discuss them here. If there was a section discussing soundbars on the website, I'd have posted it there. Unfortunately there isn't.

Soundbars would be just as off topic of a discussion on TV section as they would be on home theatre or speaker section.

BTW, if someone is having trouble with getting the right HDMI cable for this TV, or can't get the TV stand properly done or wants help with the TV on his wall/home decor that would be fair game on this thread according to me.

Similarly, if someone is having trouble getting firestick working, would that also be off-topic according to you? For me that's on topic on this thread as it's a TV accessory.

You disagree, and that's fine. Just ignore that discussion if you can. Regardless, the soundbar discussion was quite small and I'm sorry if it bothered you.

As I mentioned above, soundbars are not Home Theatres. Have you read the discussions there on soundbar threads? They all hate soundbars and just push you for AVR + surround setup which isn't possible in my house.

Home theaters are separate devices on their own. A soundbar is not. Soundbar is closely related to TV, much closer than it is to a HT setup.

Well, at least that's my reasoning. If you disagree, sorry you had to read through off topic discussion.

That I regret, and my deepest sorry you had to read through that. We can't delete comments here, else I'd have deleted those. But I really tried to end it and said it's off topic multiple times. Also, I was the one who stopped replying to that guy, else it would have gone for even longer.

Again, sorry for that discussion. It should not have happened. It was petty, stupid and contributed nothing.
While I personally have no issues with few off topic posts in any thread but you can also post in What to buy forum for soundbars (and probably get more response) as not all may be watching TV thread.

Sharing below thread for a discussion on soundbars which may be of interest to you and other sound bar enthusiasts.

Well no need to say sorry.we are all friends here,trying to help each other.we all go off topics sometimes.

My only point is if we have separate threads its beneficial for all.As just mentioned in an above post a discussion about soundbars.which is useful for not only to Toshiba owners but also a lot of other members. so if we have a separate thread about it then it is going to benefit more members.

This is applicable to all the product recommendations.be it HDMI cabels or firestick or something else.If we have a separate thread all member can be benefitted from it.for example someone having frame tv looking for a good soundbar might not check this thread.

I think what can come under the scope of discussion here is the specific issues related to these for ex some member had issue with dolby vision on firestick or someone having an issue with connecting some soundbar.basically anything related to these tvs issues, settings, troubleshooting, features etc.

Anyways i was making a larger point.Nothing against you.you seem to know lot about tvs.so keep up the good work and keep contributing cheers.

Okay guys, so firestick 4k finally arrived. Went to testing the TV settings with it. This is just confirming most of what others have observed, but I'll still state that.

• As mentioned by other users, there is no way to stream 4k Dolby Vision through Firestick 4k. You can either do 1080p + DV or 4k + HDR. I'll cover this below the points.
  • Is there a way to turn off Amazon promotions in the fire UI? Paying this much and getting so many advertisements is not fine, Amazon!
  • The TV remote works fine with firestick 4k through CEC. However, it only works as an infrared remote and that gets passed through to the firestick. The TV remote is a Bluetooth one and works well with the TV as a Bluetooth remote. Similarly, the firestick remote is a Bluetooth remote. But you can't make them cross-connect for the same purpose. The firestick TV remote does turn on/off the TV as well as control the volume. However, it cannot change the HDMI connection. So you won't be able to switch to your DTH with that.
    Let me know if someone has found some resolution.
  • Oh my god! The apps for firestick are SO MUCH BETTER than the TV ones. YouTube works perfectly here with no stretching of 18:9 content, VLC works brilliantly and everything is actually rendered at 1080p/4k unlike 720p or lower VIDAA apps. Also, Plex works wonderfully even with 100+ Mbps Bluray files.
  • I've noticed that the firestick also decodes a lot of audio formats a whole lot better than the TV does through its DLNA app. Some poorly audio encoded movies were very hard to hear (muddled vocals) on the TV but with firestick, it's a whole lot better. The TV speakers still suck though (but I've got the Logitech Z906 coming in a couple days).
  • Overall, at the price of ₹3250 at Amazon sale, this is a must-buy for every single owner of this TV. It elevates the experience to the next level.
So now, regarding the Dolby Vision playback with firestick, I'm 100% sure it's a problem with the firestick and can't be solved unless Amazon itself solves it. The only way to send 4k DV metadata through the HDMI port is to pass it at 24 fps. So you need to enable the matching source framerate. However, enabling that only works with automatic resolution. And if you enable automatic resolution, that is currently buggy as it doesn't work with streaming services in 4k and defaults to 1080p.

Amazon should keep the resolution and framerate settings separate and allow 4k for resolution and match framerate for framerate. That is the only way DV will work through it. As of now, if you want DV, you should go for the inbuilt Netflix app. It's well made and works brilliantly with DV content.

Overall, if you have this TV just go for the firestick 4k in the current sale if you have even a shred of interest in OTT platforms. It's a great buy. I don't think the new Chromecast is going to launch here and even if it does, it will cost close to 6-7k going by past Google pricing.

Okay guys, so firestick 4k finally arrived. Went to testing the TV settings with it. This is just confirming most of what others have observed, but I'll still state that.

• As mentioned by other users, there is no way to stream 4k Dolby Vision through Firestick 4k. You can either do 1080p + DV or 4k + HDR. I'll cover this below the points.
  • Is there a way to turn off Amazon promotions in the fire UI? Paying this much and getting so many advertisements is not fine, Amazon!
  • The TV remote works fine with firestick 4k through CEC. However, it only works as an infrared remote and that gets passed through to the firestick. The TV remote is a Bluetooth one and works well with the TV as a Bluetooth remote. Similarly, the firestick remote is a Bluetooth remote. But you can't make them cross-connect for the same purpose. The firestick TV remote does turn on/off the TV as well as control the volume. However, it cannot change the HDMI connection. So you won't be able to switch to your DTH with that.
  • Oh my god! The apps for firestick are SO MUCH BETTER than the TV ones. YouTube works perfectly here with no stretching of 18:9 content, VLC works brilliantly and everything is actually rendered at 1080p/4k unlike 720p or lower VIDAA apps. Also, Plex works wonderfully even with 100+ Mbps Bluray files.
  • I've noticed that the firestick also decodes a lot of audio formats a whole lot better than the TV does through its DLNA app. Some poorly audio encoded movies were very hard to hear (muddled vocals) on the TV but with firestick, it's a whole lot better. The TV speakers still suck though (but I've got the Logitech Z906 coming in a couple days).
  • Overall, at the price of ₹3250 at Amazon sale, this is a must-buy for every single owner of this TV. It elevates the experience to the next level.
So now, regarding the Dolby Vision playback with firestick, I'm 100% sure it's a problem with the firestick and can't be solved unless Amazon itself solves it. The only way to send 4k DV metadata through the HDMI port is to pass it at 24 fps. So you need to enable the matching source framerate. However, enabling that only works with automatic resolution. And if you enable automatic resolution, that is currently buggy as it doesn't work with streaming services in 4k and defaults to 1080p.

Amazon should keep the resolution and framerate settings separate and allow 4k for resolution and match framerate for framerate. That is the only way DV will work through it. As of now, if you want DV, you should go for the inbuilt Netflix app. It's well made and works brilliantly with DV content.

Overall, if you have this TV just go for the firestick 4k in the current sale if you have even a shred of interest in OTT platforms. It's a great buy. I don't think the new Chromecast is going to launch here and even if it does, it will cost close to 6-7k going by past Google pricing.
So, with this TV, is it better to get the firestick 4k (as it has DV) or mibox 4k?

Guys, I'm in tamilnadu.I was planning to buy 65u7980. Thought of getting it in reliance digital (68990) as it comes with 3 years manufacturer warranty and also card offers. But it seems that it's out of stock in the shop for tamilnadu.

But right now it's available for 65000 in flipkart with delivery to my place. If we add the full protection that flipkart offers, it comes to 70000. With the card offers it comes down to 68450.

My query is
Is it better to prefer the manufacturer warranty and wait for better and future deals and availability in relaince digital (I've to travel 100km to get it from the shop)
Or
Is it better to prefer the flipkart total protection and get it from fk itself and get it delivered to home?

Please, those with prior experience with FK total protect, please comment and help
Someone pls reply. Thank you

So, with this TV, is it better to get the firestick 4k (as it has DV) or mibox 4k?
I'd say go for firestick 4k. It has a faster processor, supports more audio formats (like Atmos) and suppoerw Dolby Vision as well (it will get fixed with updates). Also I trust Amazon to handle bugs and updates a lot better than Xiaomi.

Since they are the same price right now, firestick all the way.

My query is
Or

I generally tend to avoid anything regarding customer care w.r.t. Flipkart. Their customer care is awful so I'd be wary of getting it. I doubt many have experience with it on this smaller forum, so searching on Google would be better.

What you can do is just get it from Flipkart for 65k and get it delivered. Then just get the warranty upgraded by calling Toshiba itself. 65k + SBI offer(₹3k) is actually a pretty sweet deal right now since ₹62k is very good for this TV.

I generally tend to avoid anything regarding customer care w.r.t. Flipkart. Their customer care is awful so I'd be wary of getting it. I doubt many have experience with it on this smaller forum, so searching on Google would be better.

What you can do is just get it from Flipkart for 65k and get it delivered. Then just get the warranty upgraded by calling Toshiba itself. 65k + SBI offer(₹3k) is actually a pretty sweet deal right now since ₹62k is very good for this TV.
It's showing out of stock online

As mentioned by other users, there is no way to stream 4k Dolby Vision through Firestick 4k. You can either do 1080p + DV or 4k + HDR. I'll cover this below the points.
This is specific to this tv or any tv?
Any idea if this is a fire stick issue or tv issue or interop issue?

This is specific to this tv or any tv?
Any idea if this is a fire stick issue or tv issue or interop issue?
I'm pretty it's a fire stick issue. The TV very well decodes Dolby Vision from firestick 4k at 1080p, as well as 4k DV from the internal app.

Even at 4k, the Netflix app on firestick 4k shows Dolby Vision, so the TV is indeed able to decode 4k DV from Firestick as well (else Netflix wouldn't show it). It's just that firestick 4k isn't able to send 4k 60 12-bit signal since that's impossible to do with HDMI 2.0b. What firestick should do is send 4k 24 12-bit.

It's a bug with the automatic resolution right now. Should be fixed by Amazon eventually.

So currently is there no way to stream 4k Dolby vision remuxes (via Plex) on this tv with or without firestick 4k?

So currently is there no way to stream 4k Dolby vision remuxes (via Plex) on this tv with or without firestick 4k?
Plex should be able to do it with automatic resolution and framerate set to match. But I can't confirm it unless someone directs me to a test file. All the REMUX I have are HDR10.

The issue is more or less with Netflix and Prime which just choose 1080p when resolution is set to auto. Plex doesn't have this issue since you can choose 4k.

Basically, I need to find a way to force 4k 24/30 from Firestick. Currently the only options are 4k 50 and 60. I heard there's a hidden option, but can't find it. Will report on updates

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back