Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

I'm pretty it's a fire stick issue. The TV very well decodes Dolby Vision from firestick 4k at 1080p, as well as 4k DV from the internal app.

Even at 4k, the Netflix app on firestick 4k shows Dolby Vision, so the TV is indeed able to decode 4k DV from Firestick as well (else Netflix wouldn't show it). It's just that firestick 4k isn't able to send 4k 60 12-bit signal since that's impossible to do with HDMI 2.0b. What firestick should do is send 4k 24 12-bit.

It's a bug with the automatic resolution right now. Should be fixed by Amazon eventually.
did u check this

I would say to lower your expectations as it's highly unlikely Amazon will fix it. (It's already a 2 year old product)
Update. I managed to get 4k and Dolby Vision working with 2160p 30Hz signal. It works on Plex, Netflix and everywhere else as expected.

The trick to passing 4k 30 is a bit tricky though. You need to press rewind + up for 8 seconds, then it will switch resolutions. Stop when it shows 2160p 30. Now you're done. Everything will work as expected.

Wish Amazon adds this in resolution options.

Nah, thats the first thing I did.

The issue is that this TV doesn't accept DV above 4k 30Hz. Maybe a processing power limitation. Once I got the refresh rate down, it worked.
Interesting find. Do you notice a considerable bump in picture quality or you feel its same as regular HDR/HDR10?

Update. I managed to get 4k and Dolby Vision working with 2160p 30Hz signal. It works on Plex, Netflix and everywhere else as expected.

The trick to passing 4k 30 is a bit tricky though. You need to press rewind + up for 8 seconds, then it will switch resolutions. Stop when it shows 2160p 30. Now you're done. Everything will work as expected.

Wish Amazon adds this in resolution options.
Are there any judder issues while playing 24fps content in 4k30 mode ?

Are there any judder issues while playing 24fps content in 4k30 mode ?
Not really. This TV has fairly slow response times, so everything gets a bit of motion blur. Judder is not an issue for this TV at all at any settings despite the refresh rate being mismatched.

However, the menu navigation was choppy and 4k 60 videos on youtube don't look as smooth. So I reverted back to 4k 60 signal. Also, since it was a debugging option, you can't change bit depth from 8-bit.

The ideal solution would be Amazon fixing the auto resolution option which actually works at 4k. They regularly push updates to fire stick.

For now, I just watch DV content on the TV's internal Netflix app. For REMUX files, DV encoding is a PITA, so almost no movies are in DV and all are in HDR10. If there is one, I'll watch it after switching it to 4k 24 or 30 in firestick settings and get DV with Plex.

Interesting find. Do you notice a considerable bump in picture quality or you feel its same as regular HDR/HDR10?
No, I don't and for good reason. The big upgrade in DV is dynamic tone mapping(DTM). DTM is useful in the scenario when the movie is mastered for a much higher brightness than your TV, say 4000 nits or so.

However, movie studios don't do that since they need to make a good experience for the OLED or low end TVs. So most movies are mastered between 500-1000 nits. For those movies, our TV will do just fine. However, a 300 nit TV won't be able to display 1000 nit mastered movie properly. So DV comes in and with DTM it tone maps them properly. That's why the bright Samsung TVs are fine without DV since they don't really need DTM.

This was just a fun debugging experiment I did. I had a theory on why it wasn't working and wanted to verify that. Turns out my guess was right. Have switched back to 4k 60.

Besides, there's the internal Netflix app on TV which works with 4k and DV. So if you want that it's there.

Not really. This TV has fairly slow response times, so everything gets a bit of motion blur. Judder is not an issue for this TV at all at any settings despite the refresh rate being mismatched.

However, the menu navigation was choppy and 4k 60 videos on youtube don't look as smooth. So I reverted back to 4k 60 signal. Also, since it was a debugging option, you can't change bit depth from 8-bit.

The ideal solution would be Amazon fixing the auto resolution option which actually works at 4k. They regularly push updates to fire stick.

For now, I just watch DV content on the TV's internal Netflix app. For REMUX files, DV encoding is a PITA, so almost no movies are in DV and all are in HDR10. If there is one, I'll watch it after switching it to 4k 24 or 30 in firestick settings and get DV with Plex.
Ok that's good to hear (no judder)

A little off topic but within the last month or two all the issues with DV Remuxes have been resolved. (DV is now part of the official mkv spec and latest version of makemkv has basically made the process of making DV remuxes as straight forward as for any other non DV remux)

Ok that's good to hear (no judder)

A little off topic but within the last month or two all the issues with DV Remuxes have been resolved. (DV is now part of the official mkv spec and latest version of makemkv has basically made the process of making DV remuxes as straight forward as for any other non DV remux)
Oh, nice. Waiting for it to be integrated into ffmpeg and hence with staxrip. But even in that case you don't need to use the Plex app.

You can just use the in built DLNA app of the TV. It plays your library of your PC with DV and Atmos files just fine. It has issues with OPUS audio and some high efficiency formats, but most are fine.

I generally tend to avoid anything regarding customer care w.r.t. Flipkart. Their customer care is awful so I'd be wary of getting it. I doubt many have experience with it on this smaller forum, so searching on Google would be better.

What you can do is just get it from Flipkart for 65k and get it delivered. Then just get the warranty upgraded by calling Toshiba itself. 65k + SBI offer(₹3k) is actually a pretty sweet deal right now since ₹62k is very good for this TV.
Regarding AMC or extended warranty from Toshiba. Do you have any idea, how it could be availed and what cost? Thanks for the reply

Regarding AMC or extended warranty from Toshiba. Do you have any idea, how it could be availed and what cost? Thanks for the reply
No idea man. I got this TV on the initial days for the 4 year brand warranty so didn't research this. You'll have to do this research.

so what soundbar will be good with this model. Not a audiophile just need some bass and non flashy classy looking soundbar. Preferably wireless. Please recommend. budget 15k.

so what soundbar will be good with this model. Not a audiophile just need some bass and non flashy classy looking soundbar. Preferably wireless. Please recommend. budget 15k.
I didn't find any after searching a lot. The good ones start around ₹30k(Even Samsung HW-Q800T comes to 29k during deals). Went with the Logitech Z906. It's a full HT setup, but the deal was too tempting to pass up at ₹19k.

There was a deal for the Philips TAPB603 on 15th for ₹20k, but I missed it.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back