Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

Damn, is that an offline only deal? Because the one on RD site is for 24k with no such offer. You sure they haven't confused the Q60T soundbar with the Q60T TV? Because the deal with the former seems weird and too good to be true.

Just take the deal. It's an excellent soundbar for 18k.
Yup offline only deal. I went into the store only after looking at the RD site price of 24k hoping to pull it off for 20-21k. The product was listed for ₹26990 in store so I told them about their own lower price on RD site when they told me about the offer. They are also offering T670 with wireless rear speakers for around 20k after subtracting 8k for the TV and around 2k cashback.

But where is vlc client running?
VLC is on firestick. The problem is that there's no way to access a TV's internal storage or external storage connected to the TV from HDMI the firestick is connected via. VLC on firestick can access the firestick's internal storage and has access to the internet so can access your PC or any other share you have over it. However, in that case just use Plex.

You have multiple options to deal with this. Either you just do it like I do and work with network share or Plex. Trust me, it's way more elegant and easy. I can download files on my PC and it's immediately accessible on TV.

Alternatively, you can plug in an external HDD to your router, get an SMB/FTP share going and access that from the VLC app on firestick.

If you absolutely need to read from USB, you can buy that y splitter I linked in the above comment or just get a mi TV 4k instead as it has a USB port inbuilt. Firestick is meant to be used for streaming.

Last edited:
Yup offline only deal. I went into the store only after looking at the RD site price of 24k hoping to pull it off for 20-21k. The product was listed for ₹26990 in store so I told them about their own lower price on RD site when they told me about the offer. They are also offering T670 with wireless rear speakers for around 20k after subtracting 8k for the TV and around 2k cashback.
I'd just go for the Q60R in that case. Anything below 20k is a steal for it. The z906 is now out of stock, so you're unlikely to get the 17.5k price I did and TBH, it's not fair comparing a soundbar to a HT setup.

VLC is on firestick. The problem is that there's no way to access a TV's internal storage or external storage connected to the TV from HDMI the firestick is connected via. VLC on firestick can access the firestick's internal storage and has access to the internet so can access your PC or any other share you have over it. However, in that case just use Plex.

You have multiple options to deal with this. Either you just do it like I do and work with network share or Plex. Trust me, it's way more elegant and easy. I can download files on my PC and it's immediately accessible on TV.

Alternatively, you can plug in an external HDD to your router, get an SMB/FTP share going and access that from the VLC app on firestick.

If you absolutely need to read from USB, you can buy that y splitter I linked in the above comment or just get a mi TV 4k instead as it has a USB port inbuilt. Firestick is meant to be used for streaming.

Too techy for parents.. :(
What is the internal player in vidaa? Is it any good?

Too techy for parents.. :(
What is the internal player in vidaa? Is it any good?
It will play most of the file formats, but not all. Has issues with high efficiency audio formats like OPUS which is used mostly in animes.

Just get the mi box 4k or the splitter for firestick, and just tell them to plug it in that USB port rather than TV. That will be way easier for your parents than figuring out why internal media player can't play the file audio.

You have firestick 4k, right. Just use search the app on the leftmost tab and install it. It works great.

Let me share the final settings I'm using. These are a bit different from the ones I shared before, but mostly the same:

As before, there are 3 modes: SDR, HDR and Sports. Detailed reasoning can be found in this comment from prior

Let me go setting by setting:

Apply picture settings: All sources.

Backlight: SDR to 90, HDR to 100, Sports to 100. For a darker room, reduce as per your comfort in SDR or sports mode.

Local dimming: SDR high, HDR high, sports low.

Brightness: 50

Contrast: 45 for SDR, 50 for HDR and 50 for sports.

Sharpness: 0

Colour saturation: 50 for HDR, 47 for SDR and 50 for Sports.

Adaptive contrast: off

Ultra-smooth motion: off for SDR, off for HDR, judder reduction 10 and blur reduction 1 for sports.

Noise reduction/MPEG noise reduction: low

White balance: The most important setting. Standard with -1 offset to blue in Expert settings>white balance. You can also try putting -1 to green if it improves the white point to your eye. In my case, it did with DV and HDR mode.

Expert settings: Gamma to 2.4 in SDR and Sports.

Let me know how these look for you, or if you've found better settings than these. I'd love to check those out.

BTW, for Dolby Vision, just use the Dolby Vision bright mode. You can set the white balance just like the previous modes (standard with -1 offset to blue, and maybe green).
Thanks lightgamer. Still all of these looks like Greek characters :). Let me try all of these. I am zero on this. Just give me time to learn and understand then try mine. till i use your suggestions.

Reliance is offering Q60T for ₹26990 with Samsung 32" TV free. The TV is retailing for ₹13490. They are ready to reduce 6K if I don't take the TV. Plus I am getting ₹2000 on card discount. I haven't yet bargained much. So I think I can bring it down to 18K.
instead you may go q80t that also same discount. before discount it comes 1.2 lacs. after discount you verify.

Anything from tata sky, compared to your previous tv..
Blasto i tried yesterday. The below is my observation.
1. SD UP Scaling - average. But as per 55 inch it is ok. But i never going to watch SD content in this case. if situation comes i use my laptop.
2. HD and HDR mind blowing.
3. Motion handling as per my concern it is better.
4. But during nights with or without lights during dark mode scenes has some white patches in the faces. faced this problem during watching F7 from netflix (this happened during the conversation before they fall from airplane to rescue ramsey, then fight with shaw at dubai).
5. Regional languages looks very good in HD, FULL HD, HDR.
7. I have not tried any settings so for. settiIng the modes as per lightgamer will see again and let you know.
8. Except that issue i do not find any issues. It is a great tv.

Hope this clarifies. I am not that much geek guy. So you can expect this much only.

You have firestick 4k, right. Just use search the app on the leftmost tab and install it. It works great.

Let me share the final settings I'm using. These are a bit different from the ones I shared before, but mostly the same:

As before, there are 3 modes: SDR, HDR and Sports. Detailed reasoning can be found in this comment from prior

Let me go setting by setting:

Apply picture settings: All sources.

Backlight: SDR to 90, HDR to 100, Sports to 100. For a darker room, reduce as per your comfort in SDR or sports mode.

Local dimming: SDR high, HDR high, sports low.

Brightness: 50

Contrast: 45 for SDR, 50 for HDR and 50 for sports.

Sharpness: 0

Colour saturation: 50 for HDR, 47 for SDR and 50 for Sports.

Adaptive contrast: off

Ultra-smooth motion: off for SDR, off for HDR, judder reduction 10 and blur reduction 1 for sports.

Noise reduction/MPEG noise reduction: low

White balance: The most important setting. Standard with -1 offset to blue in Expert settings>white balance. You can also try putting -1 to green if it improves the white point to your eye. In my case, it did with DV and HDR mode.

Expert settings: Gamma to 2.4 in SDR and Sports.

Let me know how these look for you, or if you've found better settings than these. I'd love to check those out.

BTW, for Dolby Vision, just use the Dolby Vision bright mode. You can set the white balance just like the previous modes (standard with -1 offset to blue, and maybe green).
every time we have to change this settings if play different formats like SDR, HDR and Dolby vision

every time we have to change this settings if play different formats like SDR, HDR and Dolby vision

No, absolutely not. Let me explain. The TV comes with 4/5 different modes for each setting. For SDR content there are modes like Standard, sports, Cinema day, cinema night etc. Similarly for other modes. Unfortunately, none of these modes suited my style. So we will modify one of these modes and save it, then set it for that source and it should automatically switch.

For example, say you changed standard mode to my settings, and then checked apply to all sources. What it will do is apply those changes to standard mode in all SDR sources like your DTH, or youtube app or fire TV stick. Now you just have to switch to standard once in all those sources and it will automatically switch to standard mode with your settings from the next time. Same with HDR and DV sources.

I'll take another example to make it clear. For HDR, I modified the HDR dynamic mode and set it to default on my firestick and the TV apps. So every time I watch any HDR content on any of these, it switches to HDR dynamic mode which has my settings inside.

It's one time set it and forget it. When you use it, you'll understand.

No, absolutely not. Let me explain. The TV comes with 4/5 different modes for each setting. For SDR content there are modes like Standard, sports, Cinema day, cinema night etc. Similarly for other modes. Unfortunately, none of these modes suited my style. So we will modify one of these modes and save it, then set it for that source and it should automatically switch.

For example, say you changed standard mode to my settings, and then checked apply to all sources. What it will do is apply those changes to standard mode in all SDR sources like your DTH, or youtube app or fire TV stick. Now you just have to switch to standard once in all those sources and it will automatically switch to standard mode with your settings from the next time. Same with HDR and DV sources.

I'll take another example to make it clear. For HDR, I modified the HDR dynamic mode and set it to default on my firestick and the TV apps. So every time I watch any HDR content on any of these, it switches to HDR dynamic mode which has my settings inside.

thank you

Based on your observations, would you say it's absolutely mandatory to get a fire stick?
I already have an old Fire TV with me but it only has full hd capability. If in built netflix and Amazon prime is good enough I can wait else I'll get 4K stick today while it's on sale

Based on your observations, would you say it's absolutely mandatory to get a fire stick?
I already have an old Fire TV with me but it only has full hd capability. If in built netflix and Amazon prime is good enough I can wait else I'll get 4K stick today while it's on sale
Depends on your use case really. These are my main gripes with the TV native OS:
  1. The Plex app was shit. It rendered in 720p, had terrible responsiveness and UI, didn't play HDR videos at all (played them as SDR so colours were all wrong). Then one day it plain stopped working with an update.
  2. The media app on the TV is great. It can play 4k 60 fps Dolby Vision and Atmos files, HDR10 files along with most other video formats. However, it has issues with certain audio formats like OPUS and image files shared over DLNA.
  3. The YouTube app similarly has issues with aspect ratios. 16:9 and 21:9 videos are great, but 18:9 videos are vertically stretched. Since I watch some tech videos on YouTube and they are all 18:9, it was a no-go. Also, album art in Youtube music mode was horizontally stretched. It's music so it doesn't matter but doesn't look great.
  4. The Amazon Prime app on the TV is slow and low resolution.
  5. There is no Disney+Hotstar app, no VLC, and no support for sideloading android apps in case you need to.
All 5 of these are dealbreakers for me. Firestick 4k alleviates all of these issues. The only issue with firestick is that right now Dolby Vision is broken now. But you can use the internal Netflix app to get that and I'm sure Amazon will fix that in the upcoming months.

If the above issues don't apply to you, don't get the firestick 4k. I'm sure the TV internal apps will also get better with update to VIDAA 4. I personally would 100% suggest to get the firestick, especially with the current sale pricing.

I found the built in apps good enough, so dropped the idea of firestick 4k. For Disney and sonyliv using my regular firestick.

Normal firestick is good enough for hotstar and sonlyliv for foreseeable future. No HDR contents to talk off.

Depends on your use case really. These are my main gripes with the TV native OS:
  1. The Plex app was shit. It rendered in 720p, had terrible responsiveness and UI, didn't play HDR videos at all (played them as SDR so colours were all wrong). Then one day it plain stopped working with an update.
  2. The media app on the TV is great. It can play 4k 60 fps Dolby Vision and Atmos files, HDR10 files along with most other video formats. However, it has issues with certain audio formats like OPUS and image files shared over DLNA.
  3. The YouTube app similarly has issues with aspect ratios. 16:9 and 21:9 videos are great, but 18:9 videos are vertically stretched. Since I watch some tech videos on YouTube and they are all 18:9, it was a no-go. Also, album art in Youtube music mode was horizontally stretched. It's music so it doesn't matter but doesn't look great.
  4. The Amazon Prime app on the TV is slow and low resolution.
  5. There is no Disney+Hotstar app, no VLC, and no support for sideloading android apps in case you need to.
All 5 of these are dealbreakers for me. Firestick 4k alleviates all of these issues. The only issue with firestick is that right now Dolby Vision is broken now. But you can use the internal Netflix app to get that and I'm sure Amazon will fix that in the upcoming months.

If the above issues don't apply to you, don't get the firestick 4k. I'm sure the TV internal apps will also get better with update to VIDAA 4. I personally would 100% suggest to get the firestick, especially with the current sale pricing.
what about native youtube app.does it supports HDR.

Any idea if onsitego is any useful?
They giving complete warranty even on parts that are not covered by the company warranty I assume and onsite repairs.... I think one can go for them as like I'd mentioned earlier I've had quite a pleasant experience with my Microwave warranty with them earlier in this year.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back