Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

The spec sheet might say it does but at 4k at 60hz it supports only hdr10 output. DV is supported at 1080p. It's a well known issue

What he meant was the firestick 4k is not fully compatible with the TV U79
It is having issues with delivering 4k Picture with dolby vision on streaming apps
Infact firetvstick 4k has issues delivering DV at 4k60 with every TV. It's the firetvstick that's buggy.

So, what do you think is a better alternative?
None as this price point in India untill Google TV is launched.
Nvidia shield (not available again)and Apple TV 4k are too expensive although are much better.
Hdr10 suffices basic needs with 4k and I am fairly satisfied, I was just nitpicking.

How important is eARC? My receiver supports eArc so I'm trying to make sure the tv that I buy has it
eArc is capable to pass through Dolbytruehd (atmos) and dtshdma and dtsx signals and lossless multichannel signals over hdmi. These are found mostly only in Blu-ray's and 4k Blu-ray's.

Sound provided by streaming services such as Dolby digital plus (with atmos) and dts and a maximum of 2 channel losless signals can be passed through regular arc also.

If The contents you play are mostly losless audio formats eArc would be better. If you mostly play over streaming services like Netflix prime video etc regular arc is sufficient to provide atmos over Dolby digital plus.

is it work?
It won't work:
  • Different cameras have different sensor sizes, different lens and hence different light-gathering abilities. The same TV will give different shutter speed for different cameras.
  • Opening a 100% window obviously won't give him the peak brightness. TVs are brighter at 10-20% window.
  • That test will still be SDR as he makes no mention of HDR image/test pattern.
  • You'll have to frame it exactly.
It's a very cumbersome and bad way to measure brightness and you need to calibrate it. Buying a 2k rupee luxmeter will be much easier and accurate to do.

eArc is capable to pass through Dolbytruehd (atmos) and dtshdma and dtsx signals and lossless multichannel signals over hdmi. These are found mostly only in Blu-ray's and 4k Blu-ray's.

Sound provided by streaming services such as Dolby digital plus (with atmos) and dts and a maximum of 2 channel losless signals can be passed through regular arc also.

If The contents you play are mostly losless audio formats eArc would be better. If you mostly play over streaming services like Netflix prime video etc regular arc is sufficient to provide atmos over Dolby digital plus.
So my setup is basically like this:

[Lenovo Yoga L390] -----hdmi in-----> [Yamaha HTR-3072] -----hdmi out-----> [TV]

Or, I could simply hook the laptop to the TV and pass audio to the Yamaha via Arc.

Now, the thing is, my laptop HDMI out is probably HDMI 1.4. and my laptop Hard disk is filled with BluRay movies, all great formats like DTS-HD, DTS-MA, and so on. The receiver supports eARC.

What I want is for the audio to be exactly the way it was intended by the ones that made the movie.

In this case, will I need a TV with eARC? Would the laptop HDMI be sufficient to pass that kind of lossless audio? If not, what other options do we have to play movies?

So my setup is basically like this:

[Lenovo Yoga L390] -----hdmi in-----> [Yamaha HTR-3072] -----hdmi out-----> [TV]

Or, I could simply hook the laptop to the TV and pass audio to the Yamaha via Arc.

Now, the thing is, my laptop HDMI out is probably HDMI 1.4. and my laptop Hard disk is filled with BluRay movies, all great formats like DTS-HD, DTS-MA, and so on. The receiver supports eARC.

What I want is for the audio to be exactly the way it was intended by the ones that made the movie.

In this case, will I need a TV with eARC? Would the laptop HDMI be sufficient to pass that kind of lossless audio? If not, what other options do we have to play movies?
Keep the setup as it is. The receiver would show the sound format it's recieving from the laptop. Hdmi 1.4 is very much capable is sending true hd and dtshdma signals. But 4k signals are limited to 24 or 30hz which is fine for movies.

Don't do the arc setup , you will not get the lossless audio signals. You need earc tv to pass lossless audio from your TV to reciver.

I think Toshiba is handling updates on these TVs and not Hisense. If Hisense was handling them, I'd be pretty optimistic but I have zero hopes on Toshiba to launch either the U80 or update these to VIDAA 4.0

Just get a firestick 4k and forget about the updates. They're not coming in the foreseeable future.
Sad, I wasn't really hoping for any feature updates but more technical updates like improving motion handling, DV compatability tc.

I just got the new google tv Chromecast and it has been excellent so far. 4K Dolby Vision works without issues. I was wrong, it reverted itself to 1080p when I turned on DV but I didn't realize that.

Last edited:
Sad, I wasn't really hoping for any feature updates but more technical updates like improving motion handling, DV compatability tc.

I just got the new google tv Chromecast and it has been excellent so far. 4K Dolby Vision works without issues.
How did you get the Google TV Chromecast?

The motion handling is more of an issue with the panel and not the processing. Also with the processor inside I doubt they can do much anyway. Regarding Dolby Vision, that's a fault of the firestick and not the TV. When the auto resolution starts working on firestick, it will work on this TV.

The motion handling is more of an issue with the panel and not the processing. Also with the processor inside I doubt they can do much anyway. Regarding Dolby Vision, that's a fault of the firestick and not the TV. When the auto resolution starts working on firestick, it will work on this TV.
Got it from the US via ICC World, its a freight forwarding company. Cost 6k.

In terms of DV, I still think it an issue with the TV. I was not able to get DV to work on an Xbox, New Chromecast and a fire stick 4k.

Got it from the US via ICC World, its a freight forwarding company. Cost 6k.

In terms of DV, I still think it an issue with the TV. I was not able to get DV to work on an Xbox, New Chromecast and a fire stick 4k.
There was another guy who also got Chromecast with google TV. He was able to get 4k DV working. Also even I was able to get 4k DV working with firestick when I put the display to 4k 30.

You just need to get auto framerate working with Chromecast to get 4k DV working. If it's playing a 24fps movie, you need to send 24Hz only from Chromecast. That will fix it.

Only 2021 Apple TV 4k and Nvidia shield can pass 4k 60 Dolby Vision. So that won't work.

There was another guy who also got Chromecast with google TV. He was able to get 4k DV working. Also even I was able to get 4k DV working with firestick when I put the display to 4k 30.

You just need to get auto framerate working with Chromecast to get 4k DV working. If it's playing a 24fps movie, you need to send 24Hz only from Chromecast. That will fix it.

Only 2021 Apple TV 4k and Nvidia shield can pass 4k 60 Dolby Vision. So that won't work.
I too am able to get DV to work at 4k30 but 4k60 is where DV doesnt work. Maybe I think the issue is happening as I'm trying to force DV via the settings app. HDR at 4k60 is working fine.

So, I'm thinking, as long as 4k content is at 30hz or below, DV should work automatically but 4k60 content is a no-go.

The best chance of auto resolution working was with the latest UI update on fire TV stick that we got some days back but nothing happened , none of the major issues were sorted they just gave as a superficial UI update. I don't think they are ever going to fix this issue now.

I too am able to get DV to work at 4k30 but 4k60 is where DV doesnt work. Maybe I think the issue is happening as I'm trying to force DV via the settings app. HDR at 4k60 is working fine.

So, I'm thinking, as long as 4k content is at 30hz or below, DV should work automatically but 4k60 content is a no-go.
As I said, only Apple TV 4k 2021 (the older version can't do it) and Nvidia shield 2019 can do 4k 60 Dolby Vision.

Couple of days back, strange thing happened. All the menu of FireTV 4K went super small, like you get on a super resolution panel. Even the picture quality was super sharp and the subtitles were a tad smaller. After I switched off the TV and switched it back on, things were normal again.

I thought like FTV was displaying menu in 4K than usual 1080p. I had not changed any setting and it was random.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back